× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I stop a backup in progress on an NV+ v1?

DavidSkys
Aspirant

Can I stop a backup in progress on an NV+ v1?

II accidentally pressed the backup button on the front panel, and now I can't see the array on the network, and the front panel doesn't light up. Based on backup speeds mentioned in other threads, it may take 2 weeks or more to fully back up. Can I stop the backup in progress? I'm not seeing any activity on any of the drives or on the backup drive, just the backup light on the NV+ blinking.

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 7
DavidSkys
Aspirant

Re: Can I stop a backup in progress on an NV+ v1?

Actually, I do see a very slow cycle of the light dimming slightly on the backup drive, about once every 2 seconds.

Message 2 of 7
StephenB
Guru

What is it backing up to?  If it is over the network, you could try disconnecting the ethernet cable.  If it is to USB, you could just remove the drive (repairing the file system on windows later).  Either way, the backup should fail at that point.

Message 3 of 7
DavidSkys
Aspirant

Thanks, StephenB. It's backing up to an external USB 2.0 drive connected on a rear port. I thought disconnecting the USB drive would work, (possibly requiring a repair/reformat of the USB drive), but didn't want to risk corrupting anything in the array. 

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

It's only reading the array, so it shouldn't hurt anything.

Message 5 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

Have you tried to power down the NAS via the power button?  I don't know if that's locked out during a backup on that OS version or not.  But if it's not locked out, it should stop all processes before shutting down.  A long press should definately do it, but that's not a systematic shut-down and might be worse than powering down the USB device.

Message 6 of 7
DavidSkys
Aspirant

Thanks, but I had already tried to power down using the power button. Nothing happened, and the screen stayed dark, so it was locked out during the backup. I disconnected the USB drive, powered it down and waited for a bit to see if the backup would finally fail. It didn't. I verified there was no activity on the array then unplugged it, (since the power button still didn't work). I then powered it back up, and everything is fine. Just need to set up a different backup strategy or move everything off to my newer arrays and retire this one, (though it has been rock steady).

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements