× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can not change setting in local admin page - ReadyNAS Ultra 2

johanalme
Aspirant

Can not change setting in local admin page - ReadyNAS Ultra 2

Hi community,

I recently had a disk crash on my netgear ReadyNas - it seems the crash is being recovered without any loss of data, but in this process I have found something strange.

I can log in on my NAS using the admin page http://<IPaddr>/admin, and I can view all settings, but the moment I try to change something and press Apply - nothing happens. It is as though it does not read what is in the input text boxes.

Example 1:

- I go to system>alerts and add an e-mail address where I can send the reports of problems etc. I fill in all the details, but the moment I press apply, all the boxes are returned to default state and nothing is stored.

Example 2:

- I want to shutdown and reboot using System>shutdown and also perform scan on boot up. I press apply, and the pop up boxes come and informs me that a disk scan will be done on boot up. Then the local admin home page is shown and nothing happens.

The strange thing is that this was not a problem earlier. This has simply always worked.

Anyone knows what the cause of the problem is? Is it network settings? Is it RAIDiator version ( I have the latest one - RAIDiator 4.2.27 )? I am clueless on this one.

Cheers,

Johan 

Message 1 of 19
StephenB
Guru

Did you check for a full OS partition?

Message 2 of 19
johanalme
Aspirant

I am sorry, but I don't understand what you mean?

I tried from win7 and win10 with both ie and chrome browsers...

One update though. I tried modifying my shares, and the only thing that happens was that I deleted all my shares.

So essentially. Update button works but nothing is read from the boxes in the web GUI.
Message 3 of 19
cmcloughlin
Aspirant

Hi

I am having similar problems. When I select a tick box and click apply the tick box 'un-ticks'. I tried overwriting the firmware (the latest) with another copy but because Apply isn't working this didn't even try to work

When I look in Services, Standard File Protocols, only http/s access remains ticked and if I tick CIFS, it again unticks when I apply. (Explaining why I can't access my files from the network)

Is there a way to PUTTY in and reset these shares to allow me to copy off my data? If so could someone provide a Dummy's guide?

Thanks

Cliff

Message 4 of 19
cmcloughlin
Aspirant

Just to add an update...

Although SharesListing shows all my shares as having http/s access, when I try to access them by http://IPAddress/shares or  https://IPAddress/shares I am able to log in but it says No shares currently available

Message 5 of 19
cmcloughlin
Aspirant

Yet another update...

I refreshed the Share Listing page and now 'No Shares Exist'

Is there anyway to recover my data?

Message 6 of 19
johanalme
Aspirant

This is exactly the same errors as I have.

I have a feeling it it might be browser or OS dependent on the client?

I tried with google chrome and with IE exporer in windows 10 - no luck.

I tried with IE exporer in windows 7 - no luck.

Message 7 of 19
cmcloughlin
Aspirant

I'm pretty sure something corrupted in the OS. Mine has worked flawlessly since I got it a few years back. But this last few days I can't apply anything through the browser and worse I can't access my shares with explorer/File Manager and as I mentioned now my shares have disappeared from the browser view.

I hope someone from Netgear can make a suggestion to at least recover our data

Message 8 of 19
cmcloughlin
Aspirant

Sorry, I should have added I'm using Windows 10 too but it's been fine woth it from release till now - so over 2 months. My ReadyNAS had also shut itself down at the weekend which it has never done before

Message 9 of 19
StephenB
Guru

This sounds like a filling OS partition

-do you have crashplan installed?

-do you have ssh enabled?

Message 10 of 19
johanalme
Aspirant

Hi,

I have crashplan and ssh WAS enabled - but now I trieed sshing to the NAS but I was rejected...

Message 11 of 19
cmcloughlin
Aspirant

Yes i have crashplan installed and I had SSH enabled but I'm getting connection refused when I PUTTY in on port 22

Message 12 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@cmcloughlin wrote:

Yes i have crashplan installed and I had SSH enabled but I'm getting connection refused when I PUTTY in on port 22

A recent crashplan update (4.4.x) requires java 7 or java 8. With java 6, it spins into an infinite update loop, and fills the OS partition.

You can still access the NAS with telnet and mount the OS partition (try googling for instructions)

Then go into /usr/local/crashplan/upgrade and delete 1*.* files and folders (rm -rf 1*.*).

That will free up the OS partition space, so you can boot the NAS.  Instructions for upgrading java, etc for 4.2.x systems are here:  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Backing-up-to-your-ReadyNAS/Crashplan-JRE-update-needed/td-p/985781

After you are up and running on crashplan 4.4.1, then move the crashplan cache to the C volume.

Message 13 of 19
cmcloughlin
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen

I've tried to follow your suggestion but am still having problems.

Is use PUTTY as my client and it won't let me access the ReadyNAS with Telnet or SSH. Both return 'Connection Refused.

After some further Googling I found the following instructions to access the ReadyNAS in Tech mode:

https://onlyblueatwork.wordpress.com/tag/readynas/

This lets me log in with Telnet and appears to mount the drive. However while I can access the /usr/ directory I can't access (cd to) the  /usr/local/crashplan/upgrade directory and when I do an ls on /usr I don't see /usr/local, let alone CrashPlan

I checked with the instructions I followed when I installed CrashPlan and they state that the files will indeed be in  /usr/local/crashplan and I can see the original installation files and folders (CrashPlan_3.6.3_Linux.tgx & CrashPlan-install) in sysroot so I'm pretty sure I'm looking the right partition.

Am I missing something stupid here that I can't see my /usr/local folder?

Would booting to the install OS option help - I can live with losing settings as long as I can regain access to my data shares. I could then copy them off and do a clean reinstall.

Thanks again

Cliff

Message 14 of 19
StephenB
Guru

Do you see a usr folder in /mnt

Message 15 of 19
johanalme
Aspirant

Hi,

Just want to say I can't wait to try out this new information! I will report back when I test it.

Thanks!

Message 16 of 19
cmcloughlin
Aspirant

HI Stephen

Firstly apologies for not updating the thread sooner. I did indeed find the folder in /mnt. Deleting all the 1*.* files got me back into my ReadyNAS and all my files are safe. The only strange thing was that I had to reinstall the SSH plugin to get SSH access again but that was easy enough once the partition was no longer full.

I still haven't manahged to get the headless CP 4.3.1 access working despite following a few threads but I'll try to take another look next week

Thanks a million for all your help and advice and enabling me to get access to my files.

One last (I hope) question:

You suggested that once I got access again I should move the CrashPLan cache to the c volume. What do you mean by the CrashPLan cache? I have my CP backups stored on C in a backups share. Is this what you were suggesting or is there another cache you meant? If so, where is it by default and how do I move it?

Thanks again

Cliff

Message 17 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@cmcloughlin wrote:

You suggested that once I got access again I should move the CrashPLan cache to the c volume. What do you mean by the CrashPLan cache? I have my CP backups stored on C in a backups share. Is this what you were suggesting or is there another cache you meant? If so, where is it by default and how do I move it?

The cache is in /usr/local/crashplan/cache by default.  Mine is about 1.8 GB at the moment.  I moved it to /c/crashcache (a folder I created, not a share) using the procedure here: http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Latest/Troubleshooting/Reassigning_Cache_Folder_To_A_Different_D...

Per the link above "CrashPlan stores a cache of temporary information on your computer, including information about your destinations, the data you have on your computer, and a number of settings".  

Message 18 of 19
cmcloughlin
Aspirant

Stephen

Thanks again for all the help and wise advice. All back up and running anc cache moved as suggested.

Cheers

Cliff

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements