× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't Write to Shares

jc2010
Aspirant

Can't Write to Shares

I have a ReadyNAS 314 running firmware v6.9.2. Lately I have been unable to write to any of the shares; according to the settings, all folders appear to be read/write on the admin page, but whenever I try to write anything to any of them, including just adding a new folder, I get an error message, "cannot create directory". If I try to change any settings, I get an error message "1002030001 - commit failed". Any thoughts/suggestions? 

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Can't Write to Shares

@jc2010 wrote:
There's got to be a better/less painful way to change a system error?

I don't think there's a better way to fix the filesystem corruption, though there could be a less painful way.

Another option is to use paid netgear support at my.netgear.com.  They will charge of course.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 11

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 2 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Your logs show that your data volume is being forced read-only

Feb 18 18:53:30 Aboud_ReadyNAS kernel: BTRFS: error (device md127) in __btrfs_free_extent:6995: errno=-2 No such entry
Feb 18 18:53:30 Aboud_ReadyNAS kernel: BTRFS info (device md127): forced readonly

Is your backup up to date?

Message 3 of 11
jc2010
Aspirant

Yes, everything is backed up. How/why is it being forced to read-only?

Message 4 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That would require a more in-depth analysis. I'm not sure.

Message 5 of 11
jc2010
Aspirant

Ok, fair enough. How do I fix it?
Message 6 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@jc2010 wrote:
Ok, fair enough. How do I fix it?

Probably your best option is to back up the data, do a factory reset, rebuild the NAS and restore the data from your backup.

That is time-consuming, but is free and is sure to result in an uncorrupted file system.

Message 7 of 11
jc2010
Aspirant

So you mean, back it up to another NAS and then rebuild the entire thing from scratch? There's got to be a better/less painful way to change a system error?
Message 8 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@jc2010 wrote:
There's got to be a better/less painful way to change a system error?

I don't think there's a better way to fix the filesystem corruption, though there could be a less painful way.

Another option is to use paid netgear support at my.netgear.com.  They will charge of course.

Message 9 of 11
jc2010
Aspirant

OK, thank you. Obviously not the answer I was looking for, but apparently those are my only two options.

Thanks for the support!
Message 10 of 11
jc2010
Aspirant

OK, I've completed the factory reset and am now ready to restore my data. I have a second RN314 offsite and have been replicating back and forth between the two for the past 3 years. When I open ReadyNAS Replicate, I can see both systems, but I can't seem to get the data from the remote device to copy to the newly refreshed one. When I try to use "Restore Data" or "Restore System", I can't see any jobs; maybe becuase I had to choose a different name for the system I just reset? (it wouldn't let me use the old name which used an underscore; instead,  had to change it to a hyphen). Short of bringing the remote ReadyNAS onsite and physically attaching them, is there any way to copy the data over from one to the other?

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements