× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't access ReadyNAS NV+ after drive failure

mfrecker
Aspirant

Can't access ReadyNAS NV+ after drive failure

I realized yesterday that I all of a sudden couldn't access my ReadyNAS NV+ from my Windows 10 PC.  Took a look at the ReadyNAS NV+ (4.1.13) and realized that drive #4 had failed.  I still thought that it was strange that I couldn't access the files on the machine, however, I was hoping that it had locked access until the failed disc could be replaced.  Fortunately I had a spare disc of the same size and compatibility laying around for just this situation.  I installed it and let the machine sync everything up.  4 hrs. later all was booted up and looked good (on the ReadyNAS).  Went to the PC and got error massages indicating that my drive paths couldn't be found, also saw that the ReadyNAS was no longer visible in my network folders.  I went to RAIDar and did find it there and was able (for a while at least) access the ReadyNAS through Frontview.  In Frontview, the 4 drives were all grayed out on the home page and showed 0 GB on the volume tabs.  All was still a bit strange as I couldn't control the ReadyNAS through the Frontview application like I had in the past.  Specifically, I couldn't do a shut down and reboot through the software.  Fast forward several hours of rebooting everything, now I can still see it in RAIDar, however, have no access to it in Front view or network folder and still can't get to it by putting the IP address into the web browser.  Anyone have any ideas.  I have a lot of photos on there that haven't been backed up.  I have to believe that the data is still on the drives as the front screen on the ReadyNAS shows C: .7/2.6 T FREE.  Any help would be appreciated.  Oh, and by the way, I also have a ReadyNAS Duo and have had no problems with it through all this.  It shows up and I accessible as I would expect the NV+ to be.

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Since you have no backup, it might be wise to contact Netgear Support and pay the per-incident cost.

Did you have ssh enabled?

Message 2 of 4
mfrecker
Aspirant

Thanks for your advise.  Last evening I figured I would try to reinstall the OS.  Had to do it twice.  After the second time, I was able to see the ReadyNAS on frontview and all the drives showed with the proper GBs.  After going through all of the settings, I was finally able to access the folders with no data loss.

Message 3 of 4
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi mfrecker,

Welcome to the community!

We appreciate your feedback and for letting us know the information how you resolve your issue. Kindly mark this thread closed by clicking the "Accepted as Solution” button. The NETGEAR community also looks forward to hearing more from you and be a helpful resource in the future!

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements