× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't access & do reset to factory default

eset
Aspirant

Can't access & do reset to factory default

I purchased used NAS from a company. One model was broken because It didn't had IP addresses assigned from DHCP Server. On switch I was looking on 0 values for Received Packets. I called the company and the send me another model. This time it was all good. I pluged patchcords , configure router and I received pings from NAS. Ok next step was entering configuration... and this were all started.. When I couldn't access WEB.

First of all I want to notice that there some strange information here USB Recovery Tool HOWTO

There are information about arm firmwares which I downloaded for my NAS but after extracting .img file and putting it to the marvell directory next to usbrecovery.exe and launching this program I have blank selector in "Select Image"

1. Select the appropriate options for your ReadyNAS system under Select a product, Select a model, and Select Firmware Image. Click Create.

So something is wrong. A read more I saw that for people who have arm they should do manual install (for users of RN2120 NAS) . Ok So I went to that step, but why does the program have in Model Section avalaibilty to select this model (RN2120) also? So Should The users go to manual or not? Nevermind , Like I mention before, there is blank image selector field. 

Ok So I went to manual install. And another strange information there. 

Before I did that :

Download the latest firmware package for your ReadyNAS model:

1. Visit ReadyNAS OS 6 Support.
  • If you're using a ReadyNAS 100, 200, 210, or 2120 series model, download the ARM firmware package.
  • If you're using any other ReadyNAS series, download the x86 package.

And Then:

1. Find a USB drive with a capacity that is greater than 256 MB, but no more than 32 GB. <- OK
  2. Ensure that the USB drive has only one partition. <- OK
  3. Format the USB drive as FAT, FAT-32, or MS-DOS file system. <- OK
  4. Make a note of the drive letter your USB drive is assigned after formatting. <- Sure
  5. Copy data to the USB: <- OK then .. go on ..
    • If your ReadyNAS system is an RN102, RN104, or RN2120, copy initrd-recovery.gz and NTGR_USBBOOT_INFO.txt files from the Marvell directory onto the USB drive. Then copy to the USB drive the uImage-recovery file from the Marvell/[MODEL] directory, where [MODEL] is rn102, rn104, or rn2120. <-- Wait what?! Just above you said to download latest firmware And now you want to copy some files with recovery component. Ok but in firmwares there aren't any marvell dirs and second .. the initrd-recovery.gzuImage-recovery are in :

/usbrecovery.v2.0.T14.support/
NTGR_USBBOOT_INFO.txt
initrd-recovery.gz
rn10x
rn20x
rn2120
/usbrecovery.v2.0.T14.support/arm/rn2120/
uImage-recovery

I don't see any marvell dir here and Like I said it's not content of the latest firmware dir. So there a few disinformation in the manual which you should correct.

I copied those files above.

NTGR_USBBOOT_INFO.txt
initrd-recovery.gz

uImage-recovery

To USB pen. And here is another misunderstanding. Booting for recovery.

To boot your rack-mount model ReadyNAS from USB:

1. Insert the prepared USB drive into any available USB port.
  2. Press and hold the Reset button. Power on the ReadyNAS system and continue to hold the Reset button for up to 15 seconds, depending on your ReadyNAS model.
    • If your ReadyNAS has an LCD, hold the Reset button until the LCD confirms that the ReadyNAS is in USB Recovery mode.
    • On the ReadyNAS 2120, hold the Reset button until the LEDs begin blinking rapidly, after about 5 to 10 seconds.
  3. (Optional) If your ReadyNAS system has a VGA or HDMI port, you can connect a display to watch the update process.
  4. Wait for the ReadyNAS system to finish with the recovery and power down.
  5. After the system powers down, remove the USB drive and try booting normally

When I did that. Power off the NAS , pluged USB Drive (with those recovery files on it), pushed reset and holdpower on the NAS ~ after 4-5 seconds all LEDs started blinking (Error LED, LAN1 & LAN2 , Power LED) just like in Boot Menu scheme but Like it said I started to hold Reset button still to 10 seconds and LEDs stopped blinking but still all LED were on but this time solid So I'm confused. 

I tried with the manual from here to make Boot Menu -> OS Reinstall How do I access the boot menu on my ReadyNAS 2120 storage system?

With USB , power offpushed reset and holdpower on the NAS ~ after 4-5 seconds all LEDs started blinking (Error LED, LAN1 & LAN2 , Power LED) just like in Boot Menu, I released Reset button after I notice that behavior LED LAN1 was solid. Pushed Reset once LED LAN2 was solid (Factory Default) and next Pushed  Reset one more time and had LEDs LAN1 LAN2 solid (OS Reinstall). Pushed Reset for approx. ~ 5 sec and after few seconds LAN1 & LAN2 disappeared , only Power LED was solid and LAN1 LAN2 came back again. And nothing.. no restarting nothing.

I will add only that factory default didn't worked either. How Do I check that? Simple.

nmap IP_of_NAS -Pn 

And I saw that port 443 is closed only telnet (23) is open. So I tried to enter that way but default password didn't work. Conclusion? Nothing helped to reset that damn NAS to default settings. I gave up.. please help me. 

Model: RN21242D|ReadyNAS 2120 1U 4-Bay
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Can't access & do reset to factory default

You should be able to select Factory Default the first time you enter the boot menu.

To access the boot menu you do need to power off the system first.

Telnet being started could indicate any of a range of things e.g.

1. NAS booted normally with no disks installed - RAIDar would show the error that no disks are detected

2. NAS booted normally with disks installed but the NAS is unable to boot off the disks for some reason - RAIDar would show an error

3. Haven't checked for a while, but it could be active at some stages during the factory reset boot menu process

4. It would be enabled when booted into tech support mode using the boot menu. It would show in RAIDar e.g. that it's in debug/telnet mode with a 5-digit code.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 12

All Replies
eset
Aspirant

No one can help? In RAIDar I see my nas as nas-E9-A9-60

only telnet is avalaible. Is this maybe the Tech Support mode 

Message 2 of 12
eset
Aspirant

I manage to deal with the problem. But I must admit , the reason I had problem is because of Netgear Documentation which is very poor in some cases.

The case is that there is no information about that when NAS has only telnet port open it indicates that it works on Tech Support mode. And second important thing is that : If you want to go other mode you need enter first NORMAL mode

I found that what means to have telnet service only here in community. Someone said that this is Tech Support. I manage to found out why my NAS wasn't entering Factory default. You need to first quit Tech Support and enter Normal mode. 

If your NAS is in Tech Support mode and want to go into Factory default you have to follow these steps:

1. Enter Boot Menu

2. Choose Normal mode

3. Enter Boot Menu

4. Enter Factory default mode.

Because of that information wastage my Reseller had to send me twice the same NAS storage because all of them were in Tech support mode and I had no idea because LEDs on fron panel didn't indicate that after power on the system. The only sympton was that after nmap I saw 23/telnet port open and I didn't knew from any documentation that it was the Tech Support mode. 

Please correct that. It took me a whole week with Reseller to find that realize what is happening. 

Message 3 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You should be able to select Factory Default the first time you enter the boot menu.

To access the boot menu you do need to power off the system first.

Telnet being started could indicate any of a range of things e.g.

1. NAS booted normally with no disks installed - RAIDar would show the error that no disks are detected

2. NAS booted normally with disks installed but the NAS is unable to boot off the disks for some reason - RAIDar would show an error

3. Haven't checked for a while, but it could be active at some stages during the factory reset boot menu process

4. It would be enabled when booted into tech support mode using the boot menu. It would show in RAIDar e.g. that it's in debug/telnet mode with a 5-digit code.

Message 4 of 12
eset
Aspirant

```4. It would be enabled when booted into tech support mode using the boot menu. It would show in RAIDar e.g. that it's in debug/telnet mode with a 5-digit code```

It didn't showed me that. It only showed me that there is no disk. I found in manual that I should put a Disk before using system.

I did.

After that I enter Boot Menu and from there to Normal Mode. And suddenly the NAS started to work quietly (fan slows down) BUT all ports were closed. So I enter Boot Menu once again and set Factory Default. After That All started working correctly. Ports were open and default credentials worked also. 

Like I said You should cover manual with information in Section Boot Menu that Tech Support is on when telnet is open only and fans work louder that they should. There aren't any information about symptoms which were very important in this case.

Message 5 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

No disks detected is not the same as tech support mode, but telnet is on for both and the fans are loud as the software fan speed control in the OS isn't in use as you're not booted off the disks.

You do need a disk installed to use the system. On systems with a display (all current desktop units except for some 2 bays have a display on the front, but no rackmount units) on the front we show an error if no disks are installed and the error is also shown in RAIDar.

Message 6 of 12
jak0lantash
Mentor

People really need to stop jumping on doing USB Boot Recovery as first troubleshooting step. I'd say this was the right step in less than 5% of the threads we see here.

I think this KB article should be partially rewritten to push back more readers to normal things.

Message 7 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@jak0lantash wrote:

People really need to stop jumping on doing USB Boot Recovery as first troubleshooting step.

I agree.  

Message 8 of 12
eset
Aspirant

To be clear, USB recovery wasn't my 1 step. It was the last. I just started describing it because of information chaos in manual.

Message 9 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Tech support mode is intended for Netgear only - which is why it isn't documented.  There has been some information leakage over the years both here and in other forums.  

In my view it'd be better if it were full described in a KB article. It is dangerous, but not documenting it only makes it more dangerous.

@eset wrote:

To be clear, USB recovery wasn't my 1 step. It was the last. I just started describing it because of information chaos in manual.

Of course the only information we have is what you post.  Though you didn't start there, a lot of people do.  I suspect many of them don't realize that the NAS boots from the disks.

Message 10 of 12
eset
Aspirant

Ok I get that, but the path of solution is chaotic. I bought that NAS from ebay so I was wondering what is goin on. The information about "Disk is needed" I found by the way looking for solutions in Switching from Tech Support to Normal Mode. I think It should be right in the table LEDs Boot Menu where you describe what is Tech Support. Ok I get That it's for Netgear but I didn't now that Symptoms are like that: loud fans and only telnet avalaible which isn't for default login.

I was trying to log with admin/password. I didn't had any clue that this NAS is working in Tech Support. There should be information that "Listen user, you have Tech Support enabled, go to Boot Menu put disk , if you didn't done that already and switch to Normal Mode

Informations where scattered all over the manual. I had collect them and wasn't easy to find what's going on if you receive NAS storage which isn't in Normal Mode but in Tech Support mode at the beginning and I was wondering "What is going on.."

I didn't realize also that it boots from disk. I thought it boots from internal flash storage or something like that, that it doesn't need any disk

Message 11 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@eset wrote:

... where you describe ...

Just to prevent any confusion: @mdgm-ntgr is the only Netgear employee on this thread.

I agree that the documentation could be improved.  Perhaps a "theory of operation" section might be helpful.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements