× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't create share from restored folder

EripEri
Aspirant

Can't create share from restored folder

After setting up my 314 completely new I restored most data to the default directories (Pictures, Music, Videos) The rest of my data I restored to 2 subfolders of the "data" folder on the RN314 wanting to create 2 new SMB/AFP shares for these 2 folders.

The problem I have is that these forlders are not visible in the folder tree (Shares->browse) in the admin page so I cannot create the shares.  When typing te path directly in browser adress bar then the folders are viewable and accesible but when I go to the "data" folder they wil not show as a subfolder.

so: "https://192.168.0.xxx/admin/browse.html#path=%2Fdata"  does not show the subfolder "Volume1"

but: "https://192.168.0.xxx/admin/browse.html#path=%2Fdata%2FVolume1" shows all data in the subfolder.

If I go to the "data" share on a Mac or on a windows PC then the subfolders are visible and accessible.

Is there any way to enable this without having to perform the restore again? (this took a couple of days)

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Can't create share from restored folder

It sounds like you created folders on the NAS manually, but did not create shares from the web UI????

If so, rename the folders, and create the shares properly.  Then copy the files in the folders into the shares.

Message 2 of 6
EripEri
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

If so, rename the folders, 

okay, but how?

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@EripEri wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

If so, rename the folders, 

okay, but how?

Let's start with you explaining how you created the folders.

Message 4 of 6
EripEri
Aspirant

I already solved ths now but still like to understand what happened:

I have basically 7 computers that attach to my NAS (named NAS4 in my network). To make the discussion simple I will explain the difference between my personal 2 mac's. (One macbook pro retina and one 27" Imac) both are on exactly the same verion of Osx. When navigating in finder to <shared>/all/NAS4 it wil show me:

admin

data

Documents

home

Music

Pictures

Videos

(the Imac will not show: admin and data!) and it doesn't matter wether i use SMB or AFP.

if i navigate to the data folder on the macbook pro it will show me everything except data and admin.

The things that are shown in the data folder are the same forders that I can see if I navigate directly to the NAS4 on the Imac.

So I copied the 2 backed-up folders, incluyding all underlying files, to the data folder.

These are now visible if I navigate to the data folder (only when using the macbook) but are not visible if I navigate to the root of NAS4 in the finder. (I know this is not actually the root but this is what it looks like in finder)

In the web admin page these folders are not visible.

I managed to rename the folders on the macbook, created new shares in the webinterface and used the webinterface to move the files. Now the new shares are visible.

The strange thing is: why is the data folder including created subfolders and the admin folder visible on one computer and not on the other? I have tried to connect to the "data" root on the other computers without success but on the Macbook (and also one one old PC) the data directly simply shows up in explorer/finder and accessible without problems.  Looks like there is some kind of hidden/system attribute that is completely ignored by 2 of my computers.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

You can see the data volume (and the home folder) if you

-connect with the CIFS/SMB protocol

-use NAS admin credentials.

I suspect two of your computers are using both the above, but the other 5 are not.

This access is intended for administration - though of course you can use it in other ways (and I do).  But you do need to be careful not to create new folders in the top directory (either data or home).  Instead you need to create shares (or new user accounts) via the web ui.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements