× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't find C drive or admin related folders

MDK
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can't find C drive or admin related folders

I'm starting to regret my choice in NAS, maybe I should've gone for a more user-friendly (beginner) one :x

I used to be able to see the admin related folders such as C volume etc but now I can't.

As far as I'm aware I'm logging into the NAS as admin, at least on Frontview.

I access the files on the readynas via Computer>Network or Readynas Remote, it seems this is only way access to the information on the NAS from my LAN but it only gives access to Share folders, not the other stuff I used to see. I'm totally confused by this whole thing. None of the manuals, guides, forum info etc are in easy to understand terms for me. I also can't delete a test folder I've created, it says I need permission from 'unix user/ nobody'.

Please help before I throw this thing out of the window!

From what I've read I need to login as admin, where the hell do I do that??! I assumed that was what I was doing. When I try and use the admin login to access shares over HTTP it accepts it but when I click on the Shares folder it asks for another login. Admin won't work here, it only accepts a created user login and password.

:cry:
Message 1 of 25
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The user "nobody" is the Linux guest user. So most likely you created that when logged into the NAS as a guest.

To see the C volume you need to login to CIFS as "admin" e.g. in RAIDar click browse and then enter your username and password. Or in Windows Explorer go to \\ip.address.of.nas\ and enter your admin credentials.
Message 2 of 25
MDK
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the fast reply.

I don't know what CIFS is but when I use RAIDar it doesn't ask for a login, it connects to what seems to be a user account. Same with Windows explorer. Neither are asking for credentials.
Message 3 of 25
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you have a user account on the NAS with the same username/password as the user account you are logged into on your PC?

Do you have guest access enabled to your shares?
Message 4 of 25
MDK
Aspirant
Aspirant

My admin account on the NAS had the same password as my Windows account (admin one) but I changed it.

I created a user with the same username/password as the Windows account above but I've just changed the password for it but it's still not asking for credentials.
Message 5 of 25
MDK
Aspirant
Aspirant

HOLD THAT THOUGHT!

I think the change must've kicked in cos I'm getting prompted now.

I'm gonna assume that was the trouble so I'll go and sort out all my usernames/passwords 😕

Thanks very much for your help and patience!
Message 6 of 25
MDK
Aspirant
Aspirant

One more thing...

How do I get RAIDar to forget the credentials? Even when exiting RAIDar it uses the last login without asking for username/password?
Message 7 of 25
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It's not RAIDar that's remembering the credentials. To disconnect from the NAS:
ewok wrote:

From the command prompt, use the "net use" command, something like:

net use \\$nas_ip\$sharename /delete

If unsure what the sharename is that you need to disconnect, you can simply type "net use" (no quotes) in the command prompt to take a look at what are the active connections.

Also if your connections are only to the NAS, then you can simply use:

net use * /delete

which will disconnect all connections to network shares that were listed when you typed "net use" (no quotes).
Message 8 of 25
MDK
Aspirant
Aspirant

*sigh*

Turned the NAS on just now and the folders have gone again 😕 I haven't used any kind of login and 'net use' isn't showing anything. I went into RAIDar and browse and the window that came up only had shares, not the admin folders.

The last credentials I used in RAIDar were admin ones that worked fine and showed all folders, surely if it's remembering any connection it would be the admin one?? I'm not getting any prompt for a login.
Message 9 of 25
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

Go to one of your shares on the NAS through Computer->Network, then create a new file there. Right click on the file, select Properties, and see who is the owner of the file. That will be the user account on the NAS that you are currently using. If it's not admin, you won't see the admin shares.
Message 10 of 25
duo_challenged
Aspirant

I'm having a similar problem. Although, I'm able to sign into my Duo through Windows Explorer with the appropriate network address, the only share folders I see are backup and media. The reason that I'm looking for the C share folder is to edit the script for a new add-on I installed, DnsOMatic 2.0. The instructions for the add-in say to edit the script in the C share folder to add my own DynamicDNS access information.

Am I supposed to have a C share as one of my basic share folders or do I need to add a C share with Frontview? :?
Message 11 of 25
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

To access the C share you need to login to CIFS as "admin"

If you login as "admin" you can then access the files

To disconnect from the NAS:
ewok wrote:

From the command prompt, use the "net use" command, something like:

net use \\$nas_ip\$sharename /delete

If unsure what the sharename is that you need to disconnect, you can simply type "net use" (no quotes) in the command prompt to take a look at what are the active connections.

Also if your connections are only to the NAS, then you can simply use:

net use * /delete

which will disconnect all connections to network shares that were listed when you typed "net use" (no quotes).

You can also then use the net use command to login as admin
Message 12 of 25
Nosmo_King
Aspirant

I was having the same problem. I used to be able to see my NVX C folders from within Windows Explorer on Windows 7 64bit Enterprise Edition. The ReadyNas FAQ recommends using the "net use \NAS.IP.Address\c /user:admin" command at the DOS prompt, as suggested above. That did not work for me.

However, I was able to achieve success with the following version of the command:

net use x: \\NVX_Name\c /user:admin /persistent:yes

For some reason, using the ReadyNAS's name instead of IP address worked. The /persistent instruction tells the computer to reconnect to the ReadyNAS as mapped to drive letter x: even after I reboot.

Hope this helps.
Message 13 of 25
taylord01
Guide

Hi there. Similar issue here (I think). Want to access a part-downloaded Bittorrent file. Have setup a SHARE called DOWNLOADS which only displays completed Bittorrent files. Was assuming that the part-downloaded file may be lurking on the C: part of the NAS?

MAC OS X 10.7.2
Intel Core i5
RAIDar 4.3.4
Raidiator 4.1.8

I generally reach the shares (BACKUP, MEDIA, DOWNLOADS) via GUEST access.

Have just tried accessing the NAS via Safari url 192.168.1.100 (IP address of ReadyNAS), was prompted to login, used ADMIN + p/w I've setup, then navigated to the MY SHARES page that states 'No shares currently accessible'.

Need some guidance please as a relative newbie to the whole ReadyNAS world.

Thanks in advance
Message 14 of 25
michaelche
Aspirant

I have windows 7 and Win2k both connected to Readynas Ultra 6 and 2, after read this post, I have tried this under DOS prompt:

net use \\IP-of-your-NAS\C /user:Admin

and it ask me to input the password then connected successfully.

please use CAP if you enter NAS network name instead of IP address, or it won't work....weird....
Message 15 of 25
jabberwockie1
Aspirant

Ok - I am also a new user and I would like to get to the c (root folder). I dont understand "To access the C share you need to login to CIFS as "admin"
" What is CIFS?
When I hit my Readsynas IP in Firefox, I am prompted for login (user: admin pass:netgear1) gets to "My Shares" but it says "No shares currently available"
Reason I want to get to c is because I want to get to the Squeezebox slimdevices preferences folder.
Bit confused why this is so difficult.
Message 16 of 25
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You're trying to connect via HTTP/HTTPS. Since under Shares > Share Listing you haven't enabled HTTP for any shares (I guess you probably don't want to) you get that message.

CIFS (aka SMB - short for Samba) is the Windows File Sharing service on the NAS. You can connect to it e.g. via \\ip.address.of.nas in Windows Explorer. You can alternatively use the command prompt (you may need to to connect as the "admin" user). This FAQ entry you may find useful: http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/share/how_do_i_connect_to_the_readynas_as_admin
Message 17 of 25
jabberwockie1
Aspirant

How does this get me to the system folders:
>c
>Home
Message 18 of 25
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes it gets you access to those folders.
Message 19 of 25
jabberwockie1
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Yes it gets you access to those folders.

So, If I want to enable this temporarily, I just click on one of the shares >and onthe HTTP/s tab, Default Access = Read/Write but what do I add to "Hosts Allowed access? Is that the IP address of my PC?
Message 20 of 25
StephenB
Guru

jabberwockie wrote:
So, If I want to enable this temporarily, I just click on one of the shares >and onthe HTTP/s tab, Default Access = Read/Write but what do I add to "Hosts Allowed access? Is that the IP address of my PC?
Leave it blank.

If you are trying to see C or the admin share, you can't access it from http/s. You use Windows explorer, logging in as admin.

This all assumes an ultra, pro, or V1 NV+/Duo. If you have a V2 NV+/Duo it does not apply.
Message 21 of 25
jabberwockie1
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
jabberwockie wrote:
Leave it blank.

If you are trying to see C or the admin share, you can't access it from http/s. You use Windows explorer, logging in as admin.

This all assumes an ultra, pro, or V1 NV+/Duo. If you have a V2 NV+/Duo it does not apply.

Sorry for being daft. So, to see C or the admin share, I dont need to enable http/s access?
I just need to go to \\NAS-EA-33-3B in windows explorer?
I only see:
BlurayMovies
backup
media
elc
(I have a ReadyNas Pro
)
Message 22 of 25
StephenB
Guru

jabberwockie wrote:
...So, to see C or the admin share, I dont need to enable http/s access?
Correct.
jabberwockie wrote:
I only see:
BlurayMovies
backup
media
elc
(I have a ReadyNas Pro
)
The reason you aren't seeing C and admin is that you are not accessing the NAS as admin. Your Windows system by default presents your windows logon. If the NAS accepts it, then your windows user name is your NAS logon, and that controls your access.

There are several ways to overcome this.
-simply log in as admin on the windows system when you want to see the C drive.

-Set the Windows credentials for the NAS to be admin (on the windows side). With Windows 7 this is done through the "windows credentials" control panel app. What version of Windows are you using?

-Use the "net use" command in a command line or batch file script.
Message 23 of 25
jabberwockie1
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
jabberwockie wrote:
...So, to see C or the admin share, I dont need to enable http/s access?
Correct.
jabberwockie wrote:
I only see:
BlurayMovies
backup
media
elc
(I have a ReadyNas Pro
)
The reason you aren't seeing C and admin is that you are not accessing the NAS as admin. Your Windows system by default presents your windows logon. If the NAS accepts it, then your windows user name is your NAS logon, and that controls your access.

There are several ways to overcome this.
-simply log in as admin on the windows system when you want to see the C drive.

-Set the Windows credentials for the NAS to be admin (on the windows side). With Windows 7 this is done through the "windows credentials" control panel app. What version of Windows are you using?

-Use the "net use" command in a command line or batch file script.

I am using windows 7 64 bit. Do I add new or edit existing credentials under Credential Manager? Under which one (Windows Credentials, Certificate Based Credentials, or Generic Credentials)?
Message 24 of 25
StephenB
Guru

jabberwockie wrote:
I am using windows 7 64 bit. Do I add new or edit existing credentials under Credential Manager? Under which one (Windows Credentials, Certificate Based Credentials, or Generic Credentials)?
It is under "Windows Credentials". If the NAS already has an entry there, you can edit it. Otherwise create a new one.
Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements