× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't install Raidar

eddiemunster3
Aspirant

Can't install Raidar

I have just upgraded my computer and bought a new one running Windows 7 professional 64 bit operating system. I have tried to download and install raidar but everytime I do I get a small white error message box with a red x in it and no text. I don't know what is happening or why. Once i have downloaded the software and start the installation process it happens pretty much straight away.
I can access my shares on the Ready Nas RND 4425 but cannot write to the NAS. I simply can't install the latest version of raidar!! Help! I tried disabling my Firewall and virus software as well and it still won't work.
Message 1 of 6
arjoseph1
Tutor

Re: Can't install Raidar

Can you map the shares by going run box and typing \\Ip_address_of_the_nas?
Message 2 of 6
PapaBear1
Guide

First of all, Raidar is the program that runs on your PC not the NAS. It searches your network to find any ReadyNAS, and then displays it's status and information. It is also used to access RAIDiator via Frontview which sets up the configuration of the unit.

You commented that when you tried to download and install you get a small white error box with a red x in it and no text. But then you say that once you have downloaded the software and start the installation process it happens pretty much straight away. So, I am confused. Did it download and were you able to install it or not?

FWIW - I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit and have had no problems installing Raidar on 5 different machines (3 currently as one laptop died and one desktop has been rehomed and a new one built).

You say you have access to the shares but cannot write to the NAS. What error message are you getting? Since you have had that unit a while, you have had access before, were the drives mapped or did you access it with the network address?
Message 3 of 6
eddiemunster3
Aspirant

Thanks for your responses.

Firstly, I can download Raidar, but when installing I get the error box. It appears very quickly after starting the install process. As I said there is a white box with a red X and no text so no where to start from with respect to troubleshooting the install. I have tried turning off Nortons virus and firewall, but still no luck installing Raidar. I can only figure that some security software (Windows or Nortons) is blocking the installation-I am leaning towards a windows issue.

Secondly, I have mapped the drive letters of the folders(shares) I have set up on the NAS. I can look up these files and access them but I cannot save them back to the NAS. It says that the files are read only. I expect that once I have run raidar and setup the NAS, that hopefully I will get access and file saving options to work.

Not sure>>>>>
Message 4 of 6
PapaBear1
Guide

I lean more to Nortons being the problem. This afternoon as an experiment to respond to another member, I installed a scratch 400GB drive in my newest build (Intel i5-2500K CPU) and installed a clean copy of Win7 HP 64bit (OEM). After the Windows installation completed and the MB drivers installed (needed for the on board NIC) I proceeded to set up the network connection with only two modifications from default. I had to select Home as to the type of network (Public makes severe restrictions on the connection and Work should not be used on a home network) and then changed the default name of the work group as the network was set up initially with all XP machines so it is MSHOME.

My modem was turned off as I had installed no anti-virus, anti-spyware or third party firewall. The windows firewall was on default settings. While I did not install RAIDar, I used Windows Explorer to connect to one of my ReadyNAS units and connect to several shares and access files on each share. Norton is noted for being very restrictive at times. I used to be a Norton's user until I has so many problems on a new manufactured PC I bought about 5 years ago that I used the Norton's removal tool to rip it out by the roots and went to separate free anti-virus (Avast) and anti-spyware (SuperAntiSpyware). As to RAIDar, I have never had any problems installing it on any machine, from XP to Vista and then Win7. I usually download it, save it on the desktop and then install it by simply double clicking on it.

If you cannot get a good connection by disabling Norton's, I would suggest you open a support case with technical support. Once you have that case opened, edit your first post and append the case # to the subject line.
Message 5 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You don't need RAIDar (but it is a useful utility)

Access Frontview directly by going to https://ip.address.of.nas/admin

Update to latest RAIDiator via System > Update.

If still have issues look into permissions. There are some good tips at http://sphardy.com/web/ReadyNAS
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements