× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot enable SSH on RN102 w/ 6.9.2

Sandshark
Sensei

Cannot enable SSH on RN102 w/ 6.9.2

So I bought a used RN102.  It came with OS6.0.0, and it went through the update process to 6.2.x, then 6.5.x, then 6.9.2.  Only the default options were enabled through that process.  I was pleased it went through the required update progression on it's own, as I had seen some complaining that thier NAS was bricked by doing a direct update to too new a version.

But, then I went to set my options and one of them is SSH.  No-go -- I get a message that the port number is invalid or reserved (even though it never asks me for one) and it also really isn't enabled.  Reboot did no good..  Tried with and without "enable password authentication" checked.

.SSH_Error.jpg

All of my other NASes had SSH enabled well before updating to 6.9.2, so I'm wondering if this is a bug or something unique.  No data on the drives -- I can do a factory default if needed, but I wanted to see if there was a known reason or somebody wants to look at it before I potentially lose the evidence.  I don't dare turn SSH off on one of my others to see if I can turn it back on for fear I won't be able to re-activate it.

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Cannot enable SSH on RN102 w/ 6.9.2

Perhaps the previous owner was unaware of ReadyNAS OS 6: RN100/RN2120 cannot update due to invalid checksum

It's important to use the above workaround as a one-off for the update from pre-6.4.0 firmware to 6.4.0 or newer.

I manually started the SSH service from the backend and stopped it again successfully so it's not a problem with the service.

My guess would be that a database upgrade (or something similar) somewhere was missed. 6.0.0 to 6.2.4 is a pretty big firmware jump.

In any case for optimal performance you really should do a factory reset (wipes all data, settings, everything) to get a clean setup. There were some changes (e.g. in 6.1.5) that would require creating a new volume to take advantage of.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

Guess I should have gone farther in the configuration before posting.  I get this message whhenever trying to enable or disable any protoocol.  All other changes seem to work fine.

Message 2 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Perhaps the previous owner was unaware of ReadyNAS OS 6: RN100/RN2120 cannot update due to invalid checksum

It's important to use the above workaround as a one-off for the update from pre-6.4.0 firmware to 6.4.0 or newer.

I manually started the SSH service from the backend and stopped it again successfully so it's not a problem with the service.

My guess would be that a database upgrade (or something similar) somewhere was missed. 6.0.0 to 6.2.4 is a pretty big firmware jump.

In any case for optimal performance you really should do a factory reset (wipes all data, settings, everything) to get a clean setup. There were some changes (e.g. in 6.1.5) that would require creating a new volume to take advantage of.

Message 3 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

Actually, that would have been me that was unaware, since it had OS6.0.0 when I purchased it and this is my first ARM based OS6 NAS.  But it did successfully say it updated to 6.2.x (I didn't pay great attention to the last digit) and then offered to update to 6.5.2, which I did, and then 6.9.2.  Oddly, though, the update to 6.2.x is not in the log, which is another reason I cannot precisely identify the version.  So, maybe it's related.  I have initiated the factory default (which I already thought was my best solution) and will post an update when it completes.

Message 4 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

Factory default cleared everything up.  But not everyone would be happy having to do that.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements