× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot wake up my Ultra 6 with Wake-on-Lan (case #16131382)

lpreat
Aspirant

Cannot wake up my Ultra 6 with Wake-on-Lan (case #16131382)

Hi,

I am trying to use the wake-on-lan feature on my Ultra 6.

My configuration:
All the devices are on the local newtork.
- 192.168.1.1 : router, dhcp server (it's a Linksys RV082)
- 192.168.1.2: the readynas ultra 6 - firmware 4.2.17 - Mac address : let us say 12:34:56:78:90:AB
- 192.168.1.10: My Windows PC Windows Seven
- 192.168.1.20: A VM Linux box running Debian 5

What I did:
On the readynas:
- enable the Wake-on-Lan functionality with Frontview
- shutdown box

On the Linux box:
- install the wakeonlan debian package
- run the command
wakeonlan -i 192.168.1.255  12:34:56:78:90:AB

- look at the readynas to check that the blue light turns on and see that nothing happens

On the Windows PC:
- install the software Wake on Lan - Magic Packet
- execute with the parameters:
  • MAc Address : 12:34:56:78:90:AB
  • Internet Address : 192.168.1.2 (also tried hostname, and empty)
  • Subnet Mask: 192.168.1.255 (also tried 255.255.255.0)
  • Send options: Local network
  • Remote Port Number : 7
    - look at the readynas to check that the blue light turns on and see that nothing happens ... !!!!!

What is wrong ? What did I miss ?
    Thanks in advance for your help.
  • Message 1 of 11
    mdgm-ntgr
    NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Cannot wake up my Ultra 6 with Wake-on-Lan

Please download your logs (Status > Logs > Download all logs), extract the zip contents and post the contents of bios_ver.log

Welcome to the forum!
    Message 2 of 11
    lpreat
    Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
    Here is the requested information : 05/26/2010 FLAME6-2 V1.1

Best regards.
    Message 3 of 11
    mdgm-ntgr
    NETGEAR Employee Retired

As I suspected you have an out of date BIOS. Please open an online tech support case (see Online Submission link in my sig) and request the BIOS Update Add-on for the Ultra 6. Be sure to mention the contents of bios_ver.log

I would suggest you edit the thread title (i.e. title of the first post in this thread) to include your case number.
    Message 4 of 11
    lpreat
    Aspirant

Re: Cannot wake up my Ultra 6 with Wake-on-Lan (case #161313

Ticket #16131382 raised. Thread title updated.
    Thanks for your help.
    Message 5 of 11
    lpreat
    Aspirant

Ticket #16131382 submitted ... but no still no answer yet ....

It looks that they don't know at all what they need to do.
    After 7 exchanges of information, I eventually got the standard answer: "Based on the complexity of this case (!!!!) , .... bla bla ... ". Is this so complicated to get the most recent BIOS version ?

Dear mdgm, could you help ?
    Message 6 of 11
    mdgm-ntgr
    NETGEAR Employee Retired

I don't work for NetGear and don't have a link to the add-on unfortunately, but I'll see if I can get the attention of someone who does.
    Message 7 of 11
    adamwilt
    Aspirant

I spent two months at the start of 2011 going back and forth with tech support trying to get WoL working consistently on a pair of Ultra 6es. Updated to the latest BIOS, even did a complete USB-stick-based reload of the firmware and re-initialization of the system, after which WoL worked properly (e.g., worked regardless of system shutdown method) for about a week. After that, it reverted to its usual behavior: works if the NAS was shut down using FrontView, but will not work if shutdown was scheduled in the power menu or was initiated using the front-panel button.

I was able to repeat this sequence of fixes twice on each of two boxes, with basically identical results.

Tech support was unable to provide any assistance other than the updated firmware image (and THAT took the better part of a week to winkle out of them, IIRC), though they had me open ports in my firewall and expose the NAS for remote diagnostics--during which time I was essentially NASless, as I didn't fancy leaving all my files on the system open to remote access. Despite multiple queries I was unable to determine if they ever actually looked at my system and/or discovered anything.

My other two 6-drive boxes--a Pro Business and a Pro Pioneer--both respond to WoL packets flawlessly, and always have.

The updated BIOS *did* make scheduled power-on work more consistently on the Ultra 6es, but failed to make WoL usable. I have become resigned to the fact that the Ultra 6es appear to be crippled in this aspect, though they are quite functional otherwise.
    Message 8 of 11
    mdgm-ntgr
    NETGEAR Employee Retired

adamwilt what version of RAIDiator are you running? Have you tried updating to the latest firmware (currently 4.2.17: http://www.readynas.com/RAIDiator_x86_4_2_17_Notes)? There have been some firmware fixes (I think), not just the completely separate BIOS update.
    Message 9 of 11
    lpreat
    Aspirant

Hi mdgm
    Eventually I got an answer from the official support. The ask me to look at the forum and gave me this link : viewtopic.php?f=65&t=48226.
    I have now sent to chirpa a request to get the downloadable image.
    Message 10 of 11
    adamwilt
    Aspirant

> adamwilt what version of RAIDiator are you running?

4.2.15 on all 4 systems (and 4.2.15 was current when my experimentation occurred). Awaiting the verdict on 4.2.18 after it's been out for a while before I consider it; all 4 systems are production systems (2 primary, 2 backup) so i'm not willing to upgrade them until the newer software is field-proven.
    Message 11 of 11
    Top Contributors
    Discussion stats
    • 10 replies
    • 0 kudos
    • 3 in conversation
    Announcements