× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Confused about drive upgrade

ItsOverJonny
Aspirant

Confused about drive upgrade

ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer
RAIDiator 4.2.17
5 x Seagate 1.5TB in X-RAID2 for approx 5.5TB total available.

I am now upgrading to Hitachi 3.0TB drives. I pulled Drive 1, replaced it with a new 3TB drive, and it resynched. I pulled Drive 2, replaced it, and it resynched, but upon completion of the second sync, it said "Found space that can be used to expand capacity, expansion process will start during next boot."

How can that be? How can it expand the total size of an array that consists of three 1.5TB drives and two 3.0TB drives and still have it be fault-tolerant?

Hopefully the question is moot, as I plan to replace all five drives and then reboot after the sync completes, but if I rebooted now, what would the resulting array look like?
Message 1 of 2
Sunday_Afterno1
Aspirant

Re: Confused about drive upgrade

It sounds like you are using single redundancy and your NAS is behaving as it should.

With the 2x 3TB replacements you have created unused space that is now redundant as there is extra space on 2 different drives. The NAS has spotted this and will make use of it when you reboot. I recommend that you reboot at this stage to let the NAS do its thing.

It will add an additional 1.5TB mirror parallel to the existing volume so your space will go from 5.5 to about 6.8 TB once you allow for overhead.

Every subsequent replacement of a 1.5 TB with a 3TB will add another 1.5 TB to the available space and you'll get a similar message from the box with a progressive expansion of your new mirror until all drives have been replaced.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements