× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connectivity Problem

Sput1985
Aspirant

Connectivity Problem

Evening all,

I have found a random problem with my ReadyNas Duo since we had a power cut this week.

The setup is as follows

Fibre Modem - cat6-Wireless Router - cat6 - 5 port gigabit netgear unmanaged switch - cat5e - readynas duo
- cat5e - desktop pc

The desktop PC can see the network and the outside world and devices on the LAN, the readynas duo isn't visible on the lan, sporadic ping requests and raidar cannot see the device.

If I plug both the nas and the PC into the router on Ethernet ports on the back all is ok. However when the two devices are in the Gig switch I cant see the nas. I can see PCs which are in different parts of the house from the PC when plugged into the gig switch but I cant see the nas.

Ive powered all hardware down and brought it back up, no difference. I have not changed any firmwares on anything since the well before the powercut, none of the cables have been changed. All hardware is plugged into a surge protector (and I know all is ok as connectivity works if I plus into the router rather then the gig switch.)

Can anyone shed any light on why when both are on the gig switch I cannot see the nas?

Thanks
James
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Connectivity Problem

I am thinking that the switch might have failed. Do you have another device you can connect to it?

Also, can you see the PC from your other PCs?
Message 2 of 6
Sput1985
Aspirant

Switch is ok, My pc and the readynas are both plugged into it.

Secondry PC downstairs can ping and see my PC but also cant see the nas.
Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

The net is that if you plug the NAS into the router it works, and if you plug it into the switch it doesn't. Based on that, it seems plausible that something is broken in the switch. (Not a complete failure of course, since the PC still works).

Does "can't see the nas" mean that ping fails? When plugged into the switch is the ethernet led green?
Message 4 of 6
Sput1985
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

Yes, when the Nas is in the gig switch the LED is green on the switch, and theres activity on the NIC of the NAS but pings fail, im concluding that theres something amiss with the switch, but as you say not a complete failure, as its a simple unmanaged gig switch ill be hitting amazon for a new one today and see if all is resolved. I shall post back in a day or three after delivery.

Regards
James
Message 5 of 6
Sput1985
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

New switch arrived in the post today, all wired in and connectivity is restored.

Thanks for the suggestion, now lets see if I can wangle a return on the old netgear switch, it might be old, but its not exceeded the MTBF rating..... I sense my changes a low!

Regards
James
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements