× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Corrupt Boot - "Err: Could not mount root RAID d"

JimmyChen
Aspirant

Corrupt Boot - "Err: Could not mount root RAID d"

Hello,

i bought this NAS Box from ebay!. but i don't know how to set it up ? When I installed 1 or 4 disks , the LCD showed the error: "Err: Could not mount root RAID d" ..!

Can you tell me how to fix it, I tried to Boot --> Factory Default. but it still happen !!!

Thank you very much !!!

Jimmy.

Model: ReadyNASRNDP4000|ReadyNAS Pro 4 Chassis only
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Corrupt Boot - "Err: Could not mount root RAID d"

For most users, the best RAID format is to use the default XRAID.  That can be expanded w/o data loss, and it has protection for a single disk failure.

If you want maximize storage space and don't care about expansion or protection from a disk failure, then the best option for that is to use flexraid and create one volume for each disk.  

To do that, you need to start over and set up the NAS again.  Remove all disks but the first, then do a factory reset using the boot menu.  You have a 10 minute window to configure the system for flexraid using RAIDar.

Details are in the hardware and software manuals for your ReadyNAS here: http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/product/RNDP4000%20(ReadyNAS%20Pro%204)#searchResults

@JimmyChen wrote:

?. Just put in & read the data inside (with NTFS format).

Your NAS doesn't use NTFS.  It uses EXT.  When you insert a disk into the NAS, the data on it will be wiped.  

The NAS doesn't let you create a "library" of hard drives that you can insert/remove on demand.  The disks need to remain in place after you create the volumes.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Buying a second hand unit is risky and also the warranty and support is for the original purchaser from an authorised reseller only.

Which model is this?

You possibly could try USB Boot Recovery

Message 2 of 7
JimmyChen
Aspirant

I AGREE TO ALLOW NETGEAR REMOTE ACCESS TO MY NETGEAR PRODUCTS AND OTHER EQUIPMENT TO PERFORM TECHNICAL SUPPORT SERVICES IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS.

Name:_______Jimmy_____________ Date:_______14/01/2017__________

The debugmode number is: 50410

Thanks for your quickly reply !!!
Jimmy.

Message 3 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Which model and which firmware?

I understand you now have reset it successfully but don't like it that it has created a single volume C using all your disks?

Message 4 of 7
JimmyChen
Aspirant

my NAS is: ReadyNAS Pro 4 : RNDP4000   -    Model : RND-4A

Firmware Current:  4.2.30

Yeah! Correct ! it has created a single volume C using all to 1 disks. But I want It separate 1-2-3-4 .

many thanks for your helping !

Model: RNDP4000 |ReadyNAS® Pro 4 System|EOL
Message 5 of 7
JimmyChen
Aspirant

and ... Please give me a suggestion of RAID Setting ! 

because I just only want to make a big storage with 4 hard drives ( has data inside ready ) , Like plug & play & when i put in a hard drive ( with data inside ) I don't want it Resync or Format it whatever ?. Just put in & read the data inside (with NTFS format).

can i do that with Flex-RAID-0 ?

Thanks

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

For most users, the best RAID format is to use the default XRAID.  That can be expanded w/o data loss, and it has protection for a single disk failure.

If you want maximize storage space and don't care about expansion or protection from a disk failure, then the best option for that is to use flexraid and create one volume for each disk.  

To do that, you need to start over and set up the NAS again.  Remove all disks but the first, then do a factory reset using the boot menu.  You have a 10 minute window to configure the system for flexraid using RAIDar.

Details are in the hardware and software manuals for your ReadyNAS here: http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/product/RNDP4000%20(ReadyNAS%20Pro%204)#searchResults

@JimmyChen wrote:

?. Just put in & read the data inside (with NTFS format).

Your NAS doesn't use NTFS.  It uses EXT.  When you insert a disk into the NAS, the data on it will be wiped.  

The NAS doesn't let you create a "library" of hard drives that you can insert/remove on demand.  The disks need to remain in place after you create the volumes.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements