× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Data Degraded

brendan87
Aspirant

Data Degraded

I started with a 3TB Drive in my RN204 and I just put a 6TB drive in. And now I'm getting Data Degraded??? What does that mean and what should I do?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@brendan87 wrote:

Can I just put another 3tb in as disc 3? So disc 1 = 3tb, disc 2 = 6tb, new disc 3 = 3tb. To get 6tb with redundancy

That will work.  You are still wasting 3 TB of space on disk 2 of course.  If you put 6 TB into slot 3 you'd end up with 9 TB of space.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
obaeyens
Aspirant

Ifr you started with only 1 disk then you did not have Raid protection. When you put in a new disk then RAID is activated and your data gets distributed over the second hard disk as a mirror. During that time you do not have reduncancy so it will take half a day to rebuild to RAID 1.

Message 2 of 5
obaeyens
Aspirant

One more thing, adding a 6 TB as disk 2 to a NAS that has a 3 TB disk 1 will not give you more disk space. It will stay 3 TB but youre data will be protected on 2 disks. You can ofcourse choose not to have RAID 1 but JOB then you will have 9 TB but no data redundacy.

In order to have 6 TB with Raid you need 2x6 TB's. But wait until the RAID has completed and the degraded message is gone to replace the 3 TB.

Message 3 of 5
brendan87
Aspirant

Omg thanks so much this really helped me alot 🙂
Can I just put another 3tb in as disc 3? So disc 1 = 3tb, disc 2 = 6tb, new disc 3 = 3tb. To get 6tb with redundancy
Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@brendan87 wrote:

That will work.  You are still wasting 3 TB of space on disk 2 of course.  If you put 6 TB into slot 3 you'd end up with 9 TB of space.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements