× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Delete precise lines on the logs

Delete precise lines on the logs

Is it possible to delete some lines on the logs, and if it is possible how?

Message 1 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

To analyze, cleanup, etc a bunch of text-files following a certain not necessarily consistent structure you could use Alteryx. Or, as this is pretty expensive can write your own scripts in whatever programming language you prefer.

Message 2 of 9

@Retired_Member  Thanks for the tips but as I am a bit of a moron in programming I leave that thing to the big boys the nerds upstairs!!

"Alteryx" regarding that program I'll learn but as I don't want to screw up my device I'll be extra cautious in using it!

Anyway thanks!

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@aalexandrebeta wrote:

Is it possible to delete some lines on the logs, and if it is possible how?

What are you wanting to delete?

Message 4 of 9

Well when a virus is detected and then i delete it, no need that the line in the log remain!

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

The logs are managed using a linux system/service manager package called systemd - they aren't stored in text format, and I don't know of any way to edit them.  

The underlying tool for accessing logs is called journalctl - there is more info on that program here: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-journalctl-to-view-and-manipulate-system...

Message 6 of 9

@StephenB  let me study the ansewr and see if I go for it or not because I do not want to screw thing up!!

@StephenB, @Retired_Member thanks guys!!!

Message 7 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There's no good reason to edit the logs. They get truncated/rotated eventually anyway.

Having a history of what's happened recently with the box can be important when troubleshooting problems.

Message 8 of 9

@mdgm-ntgr  Thank for the tip I'll take it in consideration!!!

I guess it was a stupid idea!!

@StephenB& @Retired_Member thanks for time taken!!!

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements