× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Disc Usage Warning

jmarczeski
Guide

ok then i get a message:

Note: NETGEAR might deny support if you enable root SSH access.

so if i do this i will lose support?  Why would i do that.

Also how are these comment lines accessed (Remove or comment out the lines starting with OnAccessExcludePath in file /etc/clamav/clamd.conf, save it.) (Restart the clamav by running this command: systemctl restart clamav-daemon)

Message 26 of 52
YeZ
NETGEAR Expert
NETGEAR Expert

If you bought the unit in past 90 days, you are still qualified for 90-day free tech support, so yes, you should not enable SSH and should wait for the official firmware. If the product is out of 90-day support qualification, then you are not getting free tech support through phone calls anyway so you can worrry less about this message. 

You can edit the file using Linux "vi" command for example. If you feel uncomfortable editing the file, you should skip this work-around. Either rebooting the NAS when the issue happens, or disable AntiVirus temporarily till the official firmware is ready. 

Thank you. 

Message 27 of 52
StephenB
Guru

@jmarczeski wrote:

Note: NETGEAR might deny support if you enable root SSH access.

so if i do this i will lose support? 

"might" is a important word.  There is some more guidance from Netgear here: http://kb.netgear.com/30068/ReadyNAS-OS-6-SSH-access-support-and-configuration-guides?cid=wmt_netgea...

Message 28 of 52
erkan
Aspirant

Hello everyone

I am currently having the same issue since a few days (almost two weeks actually).

I did the AV disable/enable trick today. I'll see what happens tomorrow.

I usually get the warning notifications by night.

cheers

Message 29 of 52
Biggels
Aspirant

it may or may not fix it. I've turned mine off and still get the same volume warnings. I am still waiting for NetGear to fix it and give me back some control on the antivirus.

Message 30 of 52
StephenB
Guru

@Biggels wrote:

it may or may not fix it. I've turned mine off and still get the same volume warnings. 

These are on the data volume, correct?

Did you try running a balance?

Message 31 of 52
Biggels
Aspirant

That hasn't been suggested by anyone, until now. Yes, it is on the data volume, and this issue only affects 2 out of 7 NAS devices I have. 

Will the balance put the drives offline at all? We are in production, and can't afford any down time with the storage.

Message 32 of 52
StephenB
Guru

@Biggels wrote:

That hasn't been suggested by anyone, until now. Yes, it is on the data volume, and this issue only affects 2 out of 7 NAS devices I have. 

Will the balance put the drives offline at all? We are in production, and can't afford any down time with the storage.

Balancing won't take the storage off line, but it will slow performance while it is running.  It often frees up space by making chunks more compact.

You can go in with ssh and pause it, which is one way to minimize the operational impact (resuming it after hours).  These commands are useful for that:

btrfs-balance status

btrfs-balance pause  <path>

btrfs-balance resume  <path>

https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Manpage/btrfs-balance

Message 33 of 52
Biggels
Aspirant

When I SSH’s into the NAS, and ran the command btrfs-balance status, I received the following error : btrfss-balance :command not found

Message 34 of 52
StephenB
Guru

btrfs balance status <path>

Sorry for any confusion on this.

Message 35 of 52
Biggels
Aspirant

I entered the command and got the error "Not a btrfs file system: /root

Message 36 of 52
StephenB
Guru

Try the data volume (/data).

Message 37 of 52
erkan
Aspirant

Hi

FYI, i didn't get any notification this morning.

Yesterday I had done the disable AV, wait & reboot trick.

I'll keep monitoring this for a few days to see if it holds.

cheers

Message 38 of 52
erkan
Aspirant

It's been 5 days with no warning.

\o/

Message 39 of 52
LNKSoulKeeper
Aspirant

I have been have this problem for months now. Comes and goes. I get email saying I need to take action because volume is has 30 or less, then at 10 and last at 5 although I have approx 80% available.

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless),RN10443D|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay
Message 40 of 52
LyleB
Aspirant

I have the same issue. I get messages that the disk is nearly full, starting at 30% and then 20% then 10%. It is not full. The messages are not regular - no obvious pattern. 

Message 41 of 52
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If your data volume is less than 70% full then it could be that the 4GB root volume is over 70% full.

What's the exact message that you're getting?

Message 42 of 52
LNKSoulKeeper
Aspirant

Less than 5% of volume media's capacity is free. Performance on volume media is degraded. To improve performance, you must add capacity.

Message 43 of 52
jak0lantash
Mentor

The anti-virus calls the OS volume "media".
As advised by NETGEAR in other threads, please:
1. Reboot
2. Disable anti-virus
3. Reboot
Confirm if this is still happening or not.
Message 44 of 52
nickbatch
Aspirant

Have been running with Antivirus disabled for 2 months now. Are Netgear going to fix this any time soon?

Message 45 of 52
jak0lantash
Mentor

@nickbatch

The new Anti-virus on the currently latest F/W 6.6.1 was rolled out nearly three months ago.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Antivirus-Update/td-p/1199929

There was mention of a workaround:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Lots-of-Virus-detection-after-6-6-1-Update/m-p/...

Then of a hotfix (means no need to update the F/W to another version - most likely pushed via package update):

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Lots-of-Virus-detection-after-6-6-1-Update/m-p/...

But I'm not sure this is actually supposed to fixed or not.

Maybe you could try to re-activate it.

I was mainly trying to isolate OP's issue.

Message 46 of 52
nickbatch
Aspirant

Thanks.

Do not want to mess with SSH stuff and should not have to!

I missed the Anti-virus hot fix message so will activate Anti-virus and see what happens.

Message 47 of 52
jak0lantash
Mentor

The workaround was meant for before the hotfix. It's not applicable anymore, I only mentioned it for the history 😉

Message 48 of 52
LNKSoulKeeper
Aspirant

If there was a hot fix 3 months ago and I am still experience this problem then is safe to assume the hot fix didn't fix the problem for everyone?

Message 49 of 52
jak0lantash
Mentor

That's what I'm trying to confirm here...

Did you try disabling the anti-virus? Do you still have the same behavior or not?

Message 50 of 52
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 51 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements