× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disc Usage Warning

jmarczeski
Guide

Disc Usage Warning

After updating firmware to 6.6.1 i keep getting a Disc Usage Warning

I varies between 10-30% left open.  However, when looking at the admin page, data usage says 2.39TB free of 2.71TB.  Currently I do have an external 1TB drive that the NAS backs up to.  It is showing 554.62GB free of 916.77GB.

Any thoughts

Model: ReadyNAS-1000S|ReadyNAS-1000S,RN2120v2|Readynas 2120v2 1U 4-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 52
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Disc Usage Warning

Can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 2 of 52
rrc_2
Tutor

I started getting the same exact warning this evening. My email notification reads as follows:

"Less than 5% of volume media's capacity is free. Performance on volume media is degraded. To improve performance, you must add capacity."

I got warning progressively from 30%, 10% and then this one. 

Only about 15% of the disk is actually full - about 1.6T of 1.8T are actually free.

Message 3 of 52
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send in your logs too?

Message 4 of 52
rrc_2
Tutor

And mdgm, I know you asked the OP for logs - I thought I'd list what I see as well just in case its helpful.

Here goes a snip of the logs: Thank you so much.

Thu Jan 19 2017 19:47:22 Volume: Less than 5% of volume media's capacity is free. Performance on volume media is degraded. To improve performance, you must add capacity.
Thu Jan 19 2017 19:37:59 Volume: Less than 10% of volume media's capacity is free. Performance on volume media is degraded. To improve performance, you must add capacity.
Thu Jan 19 2017 19:17:36 Volume: Less than 20% of volume media's capacity is free. Performance on volume media will degrade if additional capacity is consumed. NETGEAR recommends that you add capacity to avoid performance degradation.
Thu Jan 19 2017 18:57:11 Volume: Less than 30% of volume media's capacity is free. NETGEAR recommends that you add capacity to maintain current performance levels. Continuous protection snapshots will be deleted when volume free space is less than 5%.
Message 5 of 52
StephenB
Guru

@rrc_2 wrote:

Here goes a snip of the logs: Thank you so much.

I suggest sending the full log set to him (the process is linked in his signature).
Message 6 of 52
rrc_2
Tutor

Done! Sent full set.

Message 7 of 52
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you disable anti-virus, reboot your NAS, wait say 10 minutes or so and then re-enable anti-virus and see if it is any better?

Message 8 of 52
Biggels
Aspirant

I have seen the same messages on my ReadyNAS214 and 102. Lots of space left on the drives. I have 7 ReadyNAS units in our enterprise, and all but one have been updated to the new 6.6.1 OS. These are the only 2 units I am getting the errors on.

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 9 of 52
jmarczeski
Guide

First thing this morning

Disabled Anti-Virus

Reboot NAS

approx 30 min later enabled Anti-Virus

It has been about 4 hours and have not recieved any

warnings on disc usage.

Message 10 of 52
rrc_2
Tutor

Funnily enough, the messages seem to have subsided on their own when I rebooted a couple of days back. I just did this again:

reboot

turn on Antivirus after 20minutes

Message 11 of 52
Biggels
Aspirant

Just did this with my ReadyNAS102. We will see what transpires.

Message 12 of 52
Biggels
Aspirant

Nope, still the same issue on my ReadyNAS 102. I disabeld antivirus, rebooted, waited 20 minutes, then enabled anti virus. One thing I have found with the 6.6.1 update, is the virus scanning can't be configured. Meaning there aren't any options any more.

My ReadyNAS214 was reporting low disk volume (less than 30% remaining) on a 4TB RAID 5 configuration. Used 29.3 GB out of 2.69 TB. I think the 6.6.1 update borked a few things. 

Message 13 of 52
jmarczeski
Guide

Still have the same issue

@ 0759 today I received a message of 30% free

@ 0800 today I received a message of 20% free

@ 0818 today i received a message of 10% free

I disabled AV

rebooted

enabled AV after 30

it does seem firmware update broke a few things

Actual disc usage to date: 2.3TB free of 2.71

Message 14 of 52
StephenB
Guru

If you leave AV off for a longer time, does the problem stop when AV is off?

Message 15 of 52
Biggels
Aspirant

I will let you know. Odd thing is, this isn't happening to ALL of my ReadyNAS's that are up to date with 6.6.1. Just 2 of them. RN102 is using a JBOD (1TB) and my 214 is using 4 x 1TB drives in a RAID 5 configuration. No reason why I would get a low disk notification.

Message 16 of 52
Biggels
Aspirant

As an update, I left the virus scanner OFF and did not get the warning about disk capacity. Regardles, I shouldn't have to modify my ReadyNAS settings. NetGear need to investigate the issue and release a patch. The least they can do is return control of the antivirus options to the end user.

Message 17 of 52
StephenB
Guru

@Biggels wrote:

Regardless, I shouldn't have to modify my ReadyNAS settings. NetGear need to investigate the issue and release a patch. The least they can do is return control of the antivirus options to the end user.

I agree.  

It's clear they are looking into the AV issues (there's been one patch pushed already).  Likely a replacement for the AV Plus controls is on their "to do" list.

Message 18 of 52
Biggels
Aspirant

Will they be addressing the disk space warnings as well?

Message 19 of 52
jmarczeski
Guide

Been 24 hours since I turned off AV

Have recieved no Disc Usage Warnings to date

Message 20 of 52
Biggels
Aspirant

The disk capacity alerts are false anyways.

I refuse to compromise our infrastructure by turning off the antivirus. Sure hope NetGear comes up with a fix sooner, rather than later.

Message 21 of 52
nickbatch
Aspirant

This fix worked for me. (Disable antivirus, reboot, waited until next day, activated antivirus).

No disc space errors since late evening of 21st Jan.

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 22 of 52
nickbatch
Aspirant

Wrong - not fixed. had 2 messages had "Less than 20% of volume media's capacity is free" at 01:17 followed by "Less than 5%..." at 01:27 but no messages when shutdown/restarted at 06:00

Firmware;

:6.6.1

Antiviris: Active

"System/Volumes" shows

Data 592.87GB

Snapshots 2.75GB

Free Space 1.23TB

Type RAID 5

Message 23 of 52
StephenB
Guru

Netgear is working on AV fixes.  If you leave the current version enabled, it is likely you will see errors.

Message 24 of 52
YeZ
NETGEAR Expert
NETGEAR Expert

Here is a work-around before the beta or official firmware, it should fix this issue:

1. Turn on SSH service through the Admin Page and SSH into ReadyNAS
  2. Remove or comment out the lines starting with OnAccessExcludePath in file /etc/clamav/clamd.conf, save it.
  3. Restart the clamav by running this command: systemctl restart clamav-daemon

Note that this clamd.conf configuration file will be overwritten again if re-enabling Anti-Virus, so above steps need to be re-done after re-enabling AntiVirus.

Message 25 of 52
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 51 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements