× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Disgustingly slow transfer in one direction

osullin
Initiate

Disgustingly slow transfer in one direction

Hi guys,  I'm totally stuck here.

I have just got 2 Netgear NAS's which are named:

- READYNAS-1 which is a RN2120

- READYNAS-2 which is a RN2120v2

- FreeNAS (pc running Freenas)

- Win10 (Workstation running Win10)

All are connected via gigbait Billion router/modem.  Both firmware is latest on the ReadyNAS 6.6.1

I have observed the following:

READYNAS-1 > READYNAS-2 Backup job via rsync = ~80MB/sec

Copy from Win10 > READYNAS-1 or READYNAS-2 SMB share = ~100MB/sec

Copy from READYNAS SMB share > Win10 = 350kb/sec

Copy from FREENAS > Win10 = ~100MB/sec

Copy from Win10 > FREENAS = ~100MB/sec

So as you can see, copying to the ReadyNAS devices from my Win10 PC is no problem, but copying the same file back the other way down to my PC and the speed goes to absolute hell.  I've replicated this behaviour on BOTH readyNAS devices I have.

I don't believe it is the fault of my network, or PC/network card as transferring in one direction to ReadyNAS is fine and the transfers to and from FreeNAS are also fine.

What could be the problem here?? 

Thanks!

Model: RN2120v2|Readynas 2120v2 1U 4-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
osullin
Initiate

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.  Glad to say I've fixed the issue!  I'm putting some detail in here in the hope it helps someone..

I have 2 x gigabit network adapters in my Win10 PC.  One is Realtek (what I've been using until now) and one is Intel (previously unused).

I swapped my network cable over to the Intel port and set up the adapter with the same config.  After some initial pain (the result of a static ARP entry in the router pointing the IP to the old Realtek adapter) I found the problem vanished.  Immediately.

File transfers from both my ReadyNAS devices to my Win10 computer absolutely flying at around 100MB/sec.  Something very odd with the combination of this Realtek adapter, the ReadyNAS devices (remember it didnt affect my FreeNAS box) and the direction of traffic (ReadyNAS to Win10 only affected).  

StephenB - To answer your questions, no IPV6 and no NIC bonding. 

RolandWausE - Thanks for the tip, I'll check this out anyway.

So yeah.  One last thing of interest, I noticed the file transfer speed during the height ofthe issue was 355kb/sec.  A quick google for "slow transfer 355kb/sec" returned HEAPS of results for people finding transfer speeds capped at this rate. 

Maybe a simple driver update on the Realtek adapter will sort it out, but I'm too scared to touch anything at the moment.  I'll update if I ever work it out properly.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Do you have ipv6 enabled on the ReadyNas?

Also, are you using NIC bonding?

Message 2 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

If not already done, try to install the app "SMB plus" and set the parameters as follows

SMB Version -> SMB3

Oplocks -> disable

Preallocate -> enable

Hide unreadable -> disable

Hide unwriteable -> disable

Restrict anonymous -> disable

SMD encrypt -> auto

SMB signing -> disabled

Good luck 🙂

The app is running fine on one of my NAS (RN104) since beginning of 2014 and seems also not to misbehave under fw 6.6.1

Message 3 of 5
osullin
Initiate

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.  Glad to say I've fixed the issue!  I'm putting some detail in here in the hope it helps someone..

I have 2 x gigabit network adapters in my Win10 PC.  One is Realtek (what I've been using until now) and one is Intel (previously unused).

I swapped my network cable over to the Intel port and set up the adapter with the same config.  After some initial pain (the result of a static ARP entry in the router pointing the IP to the old Realtek adapter) I found the problem vanished.  Immediately.

File transfers from both my ReadyNAS devices to my Win10 computer absolutely flying at around 100MB/sec.  Something very odd with the combination of this Realtek adapter, the ReadyNAS devices (remember it didnt affect my FreeNAS box) and the direction of traffic (ReadyNAS to Win10 only affected).  

StephenB - To answer your questions, no IPV6 and no NIC bonding. 

RolandWausE - Thanks for the tip, I'll check this out anyway.

So yeah.  One last thing of interest, I noticed the file transfer speed during the height ofthe issue was 355kb/sec.  A quick google for "slow transfer 355kb/sec" returned HEAPS of results for people finding transfer speeds capped at this rate. 

Maybe a simple driver update on the Realtek adapter will sort it out, but I'm too scared to touch anything at the moment.  I'll update if I ever work it out properly.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@osullin wrote:

Great news (though I agree there's still some mystery here). 

If you do feel the urge to play with it some more, you might check to see if flow control is enabled in the RealTek.

Though personally I'd just stick with the Intel.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements