× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Drive bay #2 defect?

GerdH
Aspirant

Drive bay #2 defect?

I'm using a NAS 102 with 2 WD red 3TB disks in a RAID1 configuration since a long time without problems. When I returned from vacations and powered on the NAS again, the second disk LED was blinking and the log showed "volume data is degraded". The log showed also starting a resync, but some seconds later the log mentioned "disk removed from channel 2 of the head unit" (without any action from my side).

I ejected and inserted the disk in bay #2 and I also interchanged the disks between bay #1 and #2, but the problem stays in bay #2.

After some tests, now at booting both disk LEDs are on and after some seconds the disk LED #2 will go off. The disk in bay #2 will not be recognized anymore.

I attached both disks to a PC and run the WD disk tool quick test, which passed without problems.

I assume, that the bay #2 is defective. Is there any repair?

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Drive bay #2 defect?

There is a 3-year hardware warranty for the original purchaser.

When do you purchase?

Message 2 of 6
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello GerdH,

Checking on your profile, it seems you can contact support center and ask for HW check on the chassis. This still has HW warranty,

Welcome to the community!

Regards,

Message 3 of 6
GerdH
Aspirant

Thanks for your replays!

After the problems started, I attached an external drive for backup.

During the backup, the NAS discovered the disk in the second bay again and resynced successfully!

Up to now it runs without further problems.

Probably the NAS has some contact problems at the SATA connector of the second bay.

I'm not sure now, if I should return the NAS on guaranty or keep it as it is ...

Message 4 of 6
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello GerdH,

Thanks for letting us know it works now after all those steps you have shared.

You may close this topic by marking a post as an accepted solution.

Keep posting anything about your NAS that is worth sharing and if you have question too. We appreciate your contribution!

Regards,

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@GerdH wrote:

I'm not sure now, if I should return the NAS on guaranty or keep it as it is ...

It does sound like it might be an intermittent issue with the chassis.

It might be worth reaching out to mdgm and/or skywalker, and seeing if they'd be willing to look at your logs.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements