× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Drop in transfer speeds? Pro 4 ReadyNAS

Bobski2000
Tutor

Drop in transfer speeds? Pro 4 ReadyNAS

Hi,
When transferring files from pc to NAS, the transfer speed drops to almost nothing. Then resumes a few seconds later but nowhere near it start of speed.
PC->Netgear Switch GS208->ReadyNAS Pro 4.
All network cables have been checked and they are all Cat 6. I’m at a loss. From PC to NAS unit must only be 2meters...
Any ideas?
Can the Ram be upgraded? (Currently 1gb)
Someone suggested upgrading to OS 6? (But I don’t think mine supports it, but as I don’t have support anyhow, worth doing? Is it possible?)
Thanks guys
Model: RNDP4000 (ReadyNAS Pro 4)|ReadyNAS® Pro 4 System
Message 1 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Drop in transfer speeds? Pro 4 ReadyNAS

Hi @Bobski2000, is your nas behind a ups (uninterruptable power supply)? If not, hooking it up to one to my knowledge gets the OS to enable the write cache. This could improve the preformance of transferring files to the nas significantly.

Good luck with fixing and kind regards

Message 2 of 7
Bobski2000
Tutor

Wow, UPS? Never would have thought that would help. I’ll buy one as I need one anyhow, but will it work, I’m not so sure but it’s worth a try.
Thank you
Message 3 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Please let know the result of your effort.

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

If not, hooking it up to one to my knowledge gets the OS to enable the write cache.

No.  In OS 4 systems, you explicitly enable the write cache on the system->performance page on the web ui.  You can also disable full data journaling on that page.

But I do recommend a UPS.

On the main problem:  these settings can increase performance, but if they weren't touched then they don't explain a sudden drop in performance.

I suggest downloading the log zip file, and looking at the network statistics (which are in network_settings.log).  Also look at the SMART information for the disks (either from the web ui, or from the log zip).

• What firmware are you running?
  • What services and add-ons are you using?
  • Are you using both NICs in the pro?  If so, what aggregation setting are you using.

Message 5 of 7
Bobski2000
Tutor

Been and checked both settings and both are set as they should be.

firmware is 4.2.31.

using only the first LAN port.

only have streaming on using one media folder. Nothing else, no add-one at all.

SMART is okay on all drives.

Ordered my UPS, should be here next week 👌🏻

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP4000|ReadyNAS Pro 4 Chassis only
Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Do you stream with ReadyDLNA?

Have you measured SMB speeds?  Nastester is useful for this: http://www.808.dk/?code-csharp-nas-performance

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements