× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Duo v2, firmware update 4.1.6 -> 4.1.8 not ARM-5.3.5

auben
Aspirant

Duo v2, firmware update 4.1.6 -> 4.1.8 not ARM-5.3.5

Hi,

I have a ReadyNAS Duo (RND2150) v2

Yesterday I had firmware RAIDiator 4.1.6 [1.00a043] and want to update firmware and install bigger disks.

I went to "https://192.168.xxx.yyy/admin/" and logged in as admin/password.
I went to System -> Update -> Remote -> Check for update

After a while, I was offered to download 4.1.8, so I did.
I was expecting 5.3.5 (ARM).

A further "System -> Update -> Remote -> Check for update" says I have the latest version.

Q: Do I have the ARM, or Sparc, or x86, or Duo-v1, or other???

Thanks,
Ben.
Message 1 of 15
HERBIEO
Aspirant

if you had firmware RAIDiator 4.1.6 was offered to download 4.1.8 then you have a DUO v1 which as the (sparc) cpu,
the 5.3.5 firmware is for DUO v2 which as the (ARM) cpu.
Message 2 of 15
PapaBear1
Guide

You have the Duo (v1) which was on the market for years. The Duo v2 was released to the market in late 2011.

The Duo (v1) and NV+ (v1) are sparc based and the version of RAIDiator is 4.1.x.

The Duo v2 and NV+ v2 are ARM based and the version of RAIDiator is 5.3.x.

The two cannot be mixed. If you ever add a new Duo v2 to your setup, be aware that you cannot simply pull the drives from a v1 and install in a v2 as the formatting is incompatible.

RAIDiator 4.1.8 is the latest released version for the v1 although 4.1.9 is in Beta testing.

There is no models with the Duo or NV+ name in the x-86 based lines (Pro and Ultra lines only with 2, 4. and 6 bays). Older discontinued models in this architecture are the old 6 bay Pros and 4 bay NVXs. The version of RAIDiator with the x-86 based units is 4.2.x.
Message 3 of 15
auben
Aspirant

Re: Duo v2, firmware update 4.1.6 -> 4.1.8 not ARM-5.3.5 RDN

Ok, thanks for that clarification.
Can i SSH into the NAS and "cat /etc/osinfo" or something to verify this myself? I do have the SSH addon installed.

On the bottom of the NAS it says "ReadyNAS Duo RND2150 v2",
but the RND2150 is a silver sticker covering up the words...
after i rip the sticker off, "RND2000".

The "v2" threw me off...
Message 4 of 15
HERBIEO
Aspirant

on the front of a DUO v2 it actually says DUO v2
as you can see from my sig thats what i have.
Message 5 of 15
auben
Aspirant

on the front mine says "ReadyNAS Duo" without the "v2"
the "v2" is only written on the plate on the underside of the unit.
Message 6 of 15
HERBIEO
Aspirant

as far as i know the v2 on the sticker only means a hardware revision of that model.
Message 7 of 15
auben
Aspirant

I am happy to know I now have the latest firmware.

Is it now recommended to do a factory reset? All my data is backed up.

Then I want to put in bigger disks, from 1x500G to 2x2T (finally will get to use the redundancy feature)
Message 8 of 15
HERBIEO
Aspirant

Yes if you have all your data backed up its not a bad idea to do a factory reset get a nice clean install on new hard disks.
well you will have to do a factory reset to set up with X-RAID because if you only had 1 disk in it will be setup as flex raid or jbod.
Message 9 of 15
Charles_R
Aspirant

I really think their tech (and marketing) guys could have done better with the model naming conventions.
Message 10 of 15
HERBIEO
Aspirant

Yes i agree it is a bit confusing added with the RND2xxx labeling which only indicates if it was a diskless unit or hard disks installed on purchase. i am glad i had a good read of all the documentation before i purchased mine.
Message 11 of 15
PapaBear1
Guide

When the v2 series was released with the same names, there was a howl on the forums about the confusion that would reign. The development staff told us they tried to get the marketing people to understand that, but apparently they wanted to build on the reputation of the originals. Marketing types don't listen to engineers. There was mild confusion between the original Pro models (BE and Pioneer) and the Pro 6 when it was released, but at least the disks can be moved between them and they both use the same version of RAIDiator. I think we will be dealing with the v1 vs v2 confusion for years.
Message 12 of 15
chirpa
Luminary

Charles R wrote:
I really think their tech (and marketing) guys could have done better with the model naming conventions.
Agreed, we tried, but lost that battle.

The v2 sticker on the bottom is confusing. At one point there was a small hardware change due to supply, back around 2008-9. It really should have said V1H2, for version 1 hardware revision 2.
Message 13 of 15
Jhde
Aspirant

Hi!

I'm borrowing this thread as I have a similar question regarding if it is a RND2150 or RND2000. I hope this is OK.

I have the same issue as posted, there is a sticker telling me it is RND2150, but querying the S/N on netgears homepage they give me that I have a RND2000.

On the sticker it says "ReadyNAS Duo RND2150 v2" but underneath the extra sticker it says "ReadyNAS Duo RND2000 v2". How can I determine this?

The problem is that I have no documentation left for my purchase, I cannot really recall if I bought it 2011 or 2012. At the moment it's offline since 2013 as we moved to a house and I haven't really had the time to fireing up all my "IT-stuff" (as my wife says). I want to add larger discs and then I want to know what model I should use e.g. when looking for discs that will work on this machine, and what manual to download for firing up the system again.

All help is very appreciated!

Thanx!

Message 14 of 15
StephenB
Guru

RND2150 is a RN2000 (e.g., a duo) that was sold with 1 disk of 500 GB.  If its a v1, it is limited to 2 TB drives or smaller.  

If the platform is running 4.1.x firmware it is a duo v1, if it is running 5.x.x firmware it is a duo v2.  If the unit isn't running, there is more info here: http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how-to-tell-whether-i-have-a-duo-v1-or-duo-v2-or-nv-v1-or-nv-v2/

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements