× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Duo won't connect, no I.P. assignment

benthos1
Aspirant

Duo won't connect, no I.P. assignment

Hello,

I recently started having a problem with my Readynas Duo, in which I can no longer connect to it, and I can't get an I.P. address assigned to the unit by the router. The unit powers on, and eventually the two disk lights show solid lights as per usual, but I can't connect. Raidar won't find it, and I can't find it using Advanced IP scanner. I don't want to reformat the drives, since they have lots of important data on them.

The problem began around the time I tried installing a newer version of Readynas Remote on my laptop, but I don't know how or why that would affect the Duo itself. It may also have resulted from a power surge, except that the Duo is connected to an APC backup unit and should've been protected from surges. And again, it does power on, and it looks fairly normal. I don't know what to do.

Chris
Message 1 of 13
Coloriti1
Aspirant

Re: Duo won't connect, no I.P. assignment

Try to assign static IP to Duo.
Message 2 of 13
benthos1
Aspirant

I tried assigning a static I.P. address to the Duo's mac address in my router, but that didn't do any good. It wouldn't show up.
Message 3 of 13
Coloriti1
Aspirant

Assign static IP to your Duo (eg.192.168.1.50), reboot DUO and then try to PING Duo from PC.
Message 4 of 13
benthos1
Aspirant

Coloriti wrote:
Assign static IP to your Duo (eg.192.168.1.50), reboot DUO and then try to PING Duo from PC.

I just tried this, and the ping request timed out. No luck.
Message 5 of 13
sphardy1
Apprentice

What ip adress does RAIDar report for the Duo - and how does this compare to your network subnet settings?
Message 6 of 13
benthos1
Aspirant

sphardy wrote:
What ip adress does RAIDar report for the Duo - and how does this compare to your network subnet settings?

Raidar doesn't find the Duo. I haven't been able to get an I.P. address at all. I've even tried boot recovery using a usb drive, but still, no luck.
Message 7 of 13
sphardy1
Apprentice

Then you should first try a direct connect to rule out any issues with your network and confirm if the fault is truly with the Duo or not
Message 8 of 13
benthos1
Aspirant

sphardy wrote:
Then you should first try a direct connect to rule out any issues with your network and confirm if the fault is truly with the Duo or not

Thanks for the link. I tried connecting it directly by ethernet cable, and I changed the I.P. address of the p.c. to 192.168.168.101. I reset the Readynas, and still, it had no luck finding an I.P. for the Readynas. Evidently it should show as 192.168.168.168, but neither Raidar nor Advanced I.P. Scanner can find it.

An update: in Windows XP, the Local Area Connection actually shows as "unplugged", despite the fact that the p.c. is connected to the Readynas, and the Readynas is turned on.
Message 9 of 13
sphardy1
Apprentice

Then this suggests a hardware fault with the Duo (assuming you PC is 100% functional - be sure that is the case). Try a different cable to be sure it is not that also
Message 10 of 13
benthos1
Aspirant

sphardy wrote:
Then this suggests a hardware fault with the Duo (assuming you PC is 100% functional - be sure that is the case). Try a different cable to be sure it is not that also

Unfortunately, the cable is ok. What can one do to correct a Readynas hardware fault, short of replacing the unit? Assuming the drives work - and I guess they do, since the lights are solid as per usual - can I send the body of the unit off somewhere for repair? Thanks again.
Message 11 of 13
sphardy1
Apprentice

You must contact Netgear support - they can best advise
Message 12 of 13
benthos1
Aspirant

sphardy wrote:
You must contact Netgear support - they can best advise

I contacted Netgear support, they were very helpful. They agreed that it must be an issue with the network card. A replacement chassis is on the way, and I just hope all my data is ok. We shall see. Thanks to everyone who replied.
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements