× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EDA500 and UPS

hmuessig
Luminary

EDA500 and UPS

Quick question: Will the EDA500 expansion chassis shut down gracefully when the 314 it is connected to receives a battery alarm from a UPS? I know the 314 will shut down . . .  but it is unclear from the documentation whether the EDA 500 will also.

Tx!

Model: EDA500|ReadyNAS Expansion Chassis 5-Bay,RN31442D|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
hmuessig
Luminary

Re: EDA500 and UPS

EDA500 powers down when the main unit does. As it should.

Cheers!

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

AFAIK there is no processor in the EDA500.  So the shutdown on the RN314 should spindown the EDA500 disks, and the chassis should simply turn off when the power runs out.

Of course the EDA500 also needs to be powered from the same UPS.

Probably worth testing - simply unplug the main power feed to the UPS and see what happens.

Message 2 of 6
hmuessig
Luminary

The unit is currently resyncing (2 4TB drives, probably over 48 hours to complete).

So I'll try a forced "power outage" when it is finished syncing and report back.

Curiously, the status lights on the unit are all dark (the disk activity lights are working). Only the "Netgear" logo is lite. Maybe when it is finished "resyncing"?

Tx StephanB!

Message 3 of 6
jak0lantash
Mentor

@StephenB wrote:

Probably worth testing

I concur, you should test this. Regardless of what the documentation of what you find say, this is probably a not-so-common situation, so testing is definitely worth it.

Please post back for future reference 😉

Message 4 of 6
hmuessig
Luminary

Cheers!

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@hmuessig wrote:

Thx for confirming that.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements