× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ERR: No disks detected in Pioneer Pro

KillerBob
Aspirant

ERR: No disks detected in Pioneer Pro

Hi Guys,

I AM SO SCREWED... PLEASE, I NEED HELP!

My setup is that an older Pioneer Pro with 6 x 3TB in XRaid, connected via my LAN to a bunch of Macs.

Tonight out of the blue it locked up, and I tried rebooting the NAS. However, nothing really happened when I tried doing it from the browser window, nor from RAIDar. So eventually I had to turn it off using the on/off button.

When I restarted it, it took a good few minutes of "pre-boot", until it booted, turned on the network, and now it reports "ERR: No disks detected in Pioneer Pro", the six blocks on the display are empty, and it does NOT show up in RAIDar.

What should I do?

I have taken out the disks and put them back in - same result.

Next step I guess is to try and get it up and running using perhaps another disk, but before I do anything, I'd like some advice. I do have a backup, albeit not a recent one.

Thanks in advance...

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 9
KillerBob
Aspirant

OK - I am very very confused...

I let it sit for a while, and then turned it off using the on/off. I then turned it off using the button on the back, and tried turning it on again, and all is back to normal.

Obviously something is on the fritz, and I am right now running a backup of the data to have a current one around. What can it be? The fan, a disk, the PSU, the logic board? What do I do to troubleshoot?

Everything looks fine, all fans, temps, and so forth is normal. I have previusly had some disks issues, but that was ages ago...

Message 2 of 9
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello KillerBob,

We can get information from the logs what may have cause this behavior of the NAS, please provide copy of the complete logs of the NAS. Since the NAS is back to normal I would recommend to backup your data and then upgrade the firmware of the NAS.

Welcome to the community!

Regards,

Marty_M
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 9
KillerBob
Aspirant

Hi,

I have sent the logs and I hope you can figure out what happened. Today all seems fine, so the only thing I can say I actually did was flip the switch on the back, and turned it back on...

Before that attempts on turning the NAS on from the front button were all in vain, and resulted in "No disks detected".

For your info the timeline was this;

~Wed Jun 21 2017 0:20:00 - The NAS locks up, and I start trying to reboot using FrontView and RAIDar. I try this a couple of times.

~Wed Jun 21 2017 0:40:00 - I eventually turn off the NAS using the power button. 

~Wed Jun 21 2017 0:45:00->1:15:00 - I try to turn on the NAS using the front button a few times, I get the "No disks detected" error.

~Wed Jun 21 2017 1:25:00 - I turn off the NAS on the back, turn it back on, and then I turn it on using the front bottun, and it boots up fine.

I turned it off overnight, but on again this morning. All seems fine now.

/Bo

Message 4 of 9
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello KillerBob,

It is nice to hear NAS is running fine now, but it will be best if we check the complete logs. I will send you a PM for the logs.

Regards,

Marty_M
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 9
KillerBob
Aspirant

I e-mailes the logs this morning.
Message 6 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

This may be a failing power supply.  The 6-drive legacy units' power supply has two 12V rails.  One provides drive power, the other powers the motherboard.  If the 12V rail that powers the drives was unable to handle the drive spin-up load, that would be the likely result.  But you might occasionally get through spin-up, and things could work (for a time).

Fortunately, there is an easy fix because it's a standard (though not particulaly common) power supply form factor.  You will find several threads in the forum about replacement options.  You can also use a standard ATX supply externally to verify that a power supply replacement will solve your problem or to power the unit while you backup files if you don't plan to repair..

Due to age, many units of the same generaton as yours are needing power supply replacement.  All things considered, they've lasted a good long while.  I've had to replace the supply in two of mine and have replaced one for a friend as well.

Message 7 of 9
KillerBob
Aspirant

I really apprreciate the replies - thx! I am now back from vacation, and need to get this fixed. The NAS is now up and running, but I guess it is just borrowed time...

I have looked around and cannot find a replacement PSU for my ReadyNAS Pioneer Pro, does anyone have a suggestion as to where I can find one? I would prefer not having to extend wires myself, since I am not very handy in that regard...

Message 8 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

Newegg has the exact same supply (SeaSonic SS-300SFD) except it has the standard wiring instead of the special wiring for the NAS.  It's as close as you can get.  You can just buy a 6" 24-pin ATX extender and use it, then stuff the extra drive wire length into the chassis if you want.  Just be sure not to block the fan's rotation.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements