× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ERR Partitioning failed! Corrupt Root iln RAIDar

johnw248
Aspirant

ERR Partitioning failed! Corrupt Root iln RAIDar

I just installed six HGST NAS 10TB drives in this unit and have ERR: Partitioning failed! and in RAIDar I have Corrupt Root. I ran Test Disks which went to 100 percent and then did a factory reset with all the same results except after the first run the unit says there are used disks (although they all came out of their factory sealed bags.)

The unit I'm leaving on lline and the mac address is b0:b9:8a:43:dd:e8 and it has the default factory name of nas-43-DD-E8

Shipped with 6.7.1 as factory FW

What is the next step?

Model: RN426| ReadyNAS High-performance Business Data Storage - 6-Bays
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ERR Partitioning failed! Corrupt Root iln RAIDar

It looks like one of your disks might be bad: disk 1 or 2. I can only see 4 disks.

The firmware on the flash was fine, however I updated the firmware on the flash to 6.9.3 and got your NAS into the state it would've been in if it shipped from the factory today. I still only could see 4 disks.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You could have a bad disk or there could be a problem due to how disks were partitioned in a PC or perhaps even a problem with the firmware on the internal flash.

I've sent you a PM.

The unit may have shipped with 6.7.1 but if you updated the firmware since then the NAS would use the firmware you updated to when doing a factory reset.

Message 2 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It looks like one of your disks might be bad: disk 1 or 2. I can only see 4 disks.

The firmware on the flash was fine, however I updated the firmware on the flash to 6.9.3 and got your NAS into the state it would've been in if it shipped from the factory today. I still only could see 4 disks.

Message 3 of 5
johnw248
Aspirant

Thanks, I shut down, pulled disk 1 & 2 and moved up the others to positions 1,2,3,4 and restarted in reset to factory default. Waiting for it to start now.

John

Model: RN426| ReadyNAS High-performance Business Data Storage - 6-Bays
Message 4 of 5
johnw248
Aspirant

Here's the rest of the story.  It turned out that there were two bad brand new HGST 10TB NAS drives. The system booted into safemode with 3 drives and the next morning I tried adding a forth (from the two that turned out to be bad) and it appeared and disappeared when trying to make the Raid. I went to another drive and made a raid with four drives. After that completed I checked both the suspect drives again and they both would appear and disappear. 

I then put in another HGST 10TB NAS drive and it was recognized and the system started resynching.

I retruned the bad drives to the store and got replacements and am now (Saturday) waiting for the sixth drive to finish resyching (sometime Sunday afternoon).

Thanks for all the help, lit was very frustrating since all the elements were new (new ReadyNAS, new drives) and this was my 10th ReadyNAS.

Just a couple of weeks ago I set-up a RN316 and it had two bad drives as well in Channel 2 and 5. Again HGST 10TB NAS drives. This is the first time I've run into that many bad drives on first start-up.

John

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements