× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: El Capital and ReadyNas 204: painfully slow

ZxF
Aspirant
Aspirant

El Capital and ReadyNas 204: painfully slow

I just bought the ReadyNas 204 and installed in it 2 WD RED hard drives of 2TB each.

This HD model is compatible with the readyNas 204.

I installed and updated the OS to version 6.4.

So far so good. I have no prior experience with NAS technology, so I was baffled when I realized that the transfer speed to my disk was extremely slow. I did some checking with different configurations, but the bottom line is it takes  about 4.5 minutes to copy an application file of 630 MB. It's an application package, so it includes both large and small files.

I used two different router (an Apple Aiport and and Fritzbox), and also tried with an ethernet cable and wireless. I also used and old mac mini in addition to my  Macbook Air. The Macmini is even slower, the Macbook air with an SSD and El Capital is actually quite fast.

Since I wasn't getting me anywhere I thought maybe my HDs were somehow defective or slow, so I took one out and put it into a USB enclosure. It takes the Macbook air 20 seconds to copy the same file to the disk.

I also tried to delete the copied file from the NAS. It took the NAS literally for ever to do so, when it worked at all. In some it displayed in obscure error message "The operation cannot be completed because the item 'frameworks' is in use.

So - I would be very grateful if some one  could explain to me how  to get a decent speed out of this system. 

Best,

Franco

Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Are you using AFP or SMB?

Finder or the browser interface?

Message 2 of 5
ZxF
Aspirant
Aspirant

I tried both (AFP and SMB) - no difference.

I used a Finder copy.

I also tried RAID 1 and JBOD - no difference.

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

You have free support for 90 days after purchase- you might want to try that.

Message 4 of 5
ZxF
Aspirant
Aspirant

Indeed - that's what I going to do. Thanks for your feedback,

Franco

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos