× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: El Capitan can't see ReadyNAS

cherring
Aspirant

El Capitan can't see ReadyNAS

Since updating my laptops to El Capitan, they cannot connect to my ReadyNAS NV+. I have tried updating to the beta firmware, but still can't connect on any file protocol, have tried AFP, CIFS and NFS. Is there anything I can try to fix this?

Message 1 of 24
SuzanneTeresa
Aspirant

I am having the same problem with my system and have no access to any of my files!!!!  Any body that can help?? 

Thanks, Suzanne

Message 2 of 24
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello cherring and SuzanneTeresa,

Welcome to the community!

Please install RAIDar and see if it will detect the NAS. This will show the current IP address of the NAS. You may click Browse button and see if that will bring up the shares of the NAS.

Regards,

Message 3 of 24
cherring
Aspirant

Hi Jenn,

Thanks for the response, but I've already tried that. The Finder program on my mac can see the NAS in the sidebar, but when I click on it to connect it either disappears or I get an error saying it could not connect, I also get an error when I try to connect to server using cmd+K and enter afp://<nas-ip/

Thanks,

Chris.

Message 4 of 24
SuzanneTeresa
Aspirant

Yes I am in the same boat... I can see them in the side bar but it wont allow me to connect. I go to GO / Connect to Server (or Cmd+K) and it will not connect that way either.

I've just connected the system to a freinds older Mac which has not been upgraded and it is seeing the files. WHOOO HOOOO!!!  However I still need it to work on my system.  Is this a bug with Apple's new operating system and they no longer support older ReadyNas Raid systems?

Raidar is also not detecting anything.

Thanks, Suzanne

Message 5 of 24
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello SuzanneTeresa,

Have you checked if other computers on your own network get the same problem? With the fact that RAIDar does not see the NAS, it is possible that the NAS is not connecting right to your network.

Regards,

Message 6 of 24
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello cherring,

Please also check if you get the same problem on other computers on the network.

If the NAS is connected to a switch and the switch is connected to the router, bypass the switch and connect the NAS straight to the router.

Regards,

Message 7 of 24
SuzanneTeresa
Aspirant

Hi JennC, I have my Nas connected by ethernet directly into my iMac desktop and have done so for years!!  And considering it connected to an older Mac laptop (by direct ethernet) and just had to manually configure the IP for it, I think it's something in Mac's new upgrade that wont allow us to see the Raid.  What are your thoughts on that?

Message 8 of 24
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello SuzanneTeresa,

Since it is connected straight to the computer, make sure you have static IP address on the computer too. Make sure the computer and NAS are on the same IP subnet.

Regards,

Message 9 of 24
cglynne
Initiate

I am having the same problem with ReadyNas 314 (running F/W 6.4.0) simply not working over AFP or the protocol used for TimeMachine on El Capitan (OS X 10.11). The Netgear box has basically become a highly expensive brick overnight since my principle use is for network Time machine backups and this requires the laptops to see these protocol mounts.

Please sort your act out Netgear. You sell devices for business use aswell as consumer and this hints that you really should be much better at keeping up to date with key software updates like this.

If you don't have a firm fix then please at least provide some form of workaround option.

Message 10 of 24
cherring
Aspirant

So it turns out that the VPN I am using, I am from Australia and we have data retention now, has a mode that stops any traffic until the VPN is connected and it is stopping my AFP traffic, once I turn it off I am fine. It turns out that upgrading to El Capitan was a co incidence for me that led me to believe it was to blame, so sorry, I probably can't help anyone else.

Message 11 of 24
JosefJ
Aspirant

iMAC running El Capitan 10.11

I give.... I can not get to the "admin" page on my RN2022 NAS!  What's the deal? 

I can "smb" to it and login so something works? BUT I cannot "https". 

Message 12 of 24
StephenB
Guru

@JosefJ wrote:

iMAC running El Capitan 10.11

I give.... I can not get to the "admin" page on my RN2022 NAS!  What's the deal? 

I can "smb" to it and login so something works? BUT I cannot "https". 

Do you mean an RN202?  What firmware are you running?

Message 13 of 24
JosefJ
Aspirant

Yes, RN202.  3TB - Raid 1 - mirror

I think it's at: ReadyNASOS 6.3.4

My issue is trying to get to the "admin" page. I can't check anything on the device. Yet, like I said I can "smb" to it and my Sonos system can access it. Very frustrating. 

Message 14 of 24
StephenB
Guru

Can RAIDar see it?  If so, what firmware is it reporting?

Message 15 of 24
JosefJ
Aspirant

Mercy me!  I was able to connect to the device via RAIDar. Thanks !!! I was also able to download and install the new firmware. 

It's now at: 6.4.0. both drive are healthy and all looks good now. THANKS, I really appreciate your help. 

netgear documentation leaves much to be desired.

Message 16 of 24
Architek2015
Aspirant

Mac OSX, small mac network, Same problem with ReadyNAS Duo and Mac Upgrade.

No problems for many yeasr, then upgrade to El Kaputan and then all the shares turned into <Sharename><Sharepoints> which could not be opened.

I had a master user that I am able to access around the <Sharepoints> and through that have started recovering all my files...

Macs I have not upgraded have no problem.

Not really happy with this...

Message 17 of 24
aaroncody
Tutor

same issue here .. upgraded to el capitan and now the readyNAS doesn't show up in the list of available backup drives with time machine

latest firmware etc...

can't connect over SMB etc... it's all hosed now

Message 18 of 24
backhoesawyer
Aspirant

Similar problem here: 2011 MBP upgraded to El Cap and can no longer see my RN102 on the network (not in Finder sidebar or Network displays).  I upgraded to RN 6.4.1 FW, toggled SMB and AFP servers on the RN (and checked they were enabled on the appropriate share folders), but no go.

But I CAN login to admin via http; I also can manually connect via AFP and SMB through the Finder/Connect-to-Server; but the RN102 doesn't show up under RAIRar 6.0 at all, and when I do connect manually through SMB and AFP my permissions are now screwed up so I can't open my iTunes folder for example.

Anyone figured this out yet?

Oh, and I haven't even tried to check or run a Time Machine backup since upgrading -- I'd like to solve this problem before going down that road.  Had many problems with the RN and Time Machine due to a funky iTunes server that I eventually turned off -- and it fixed all the problems.

Message 19 of 24
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello backhoesawyer,

Have you checked if it will load the shares if you use RAIDar's locate after it detected the NAS?

Please also check this discussion who had the same problem:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Backing-up-to-your-ReadyNAS/Timemachine-not-found-in-IOS-10-11-El-C...

Regards,

Message 20 of 24
backhoesawyer
Aspirant

JennC,

Thanks for the prompt response.  Until today, RAIDar couldn't see the RNAS.  But I think I figured out something: I noticed that with El Cap and AFP I had to explicitly log into the RNAS -- it wouldn't show up in the Shared or Network areas in Finder.  In doing so, I lost the option to login as 'Guest', but it logged me in as 'Mark' my username on the RNAS.  So I was able to mount my /Videos and /Music shares, but I couldn't write to them, and iTunes would bail complaining about permissions problems.  This I assume was because previously everything had been setup while logged in as 'Guest' in the Finder, not as 'Mark'.  You have the option to choose this when logging in when clicking on a Shared item—but not if you log in explicitly using Connect to Server.  I don't know if this is an El Cap or RNAS issue.

So, I logged into the RNAS via SSH and added write privileges for 'anyone' to all directories and files accessible via the shares (previously, oddly, Anyone had 'read' and 'execute', but not write).  The moment I did this, everything went back to normal: the RNAS (plus AFP and SMB instances) show up in my Finder/Shared display, RAIDar sees the RNAS without problem, and TM seems to be working fine.  

I hope that's helpful.  Please let me know if you find anything else I've missed that might help.  Oh and I understand you have concerns about the general population using SSH, with good reason -- but hopefully you can find an easier solution.

Message 21 of 24
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello backhoesawyer,

It is good to know you were able to resolve it. I am honestly not sure what happened or what could have caused it, specially that RAIDar could not see the NAS too when you can access it via SSH. It must be something with the update of El Capitan that changed somehow the way it accesses shared folders. Permissions can be set on the admin page and does not necessarily have to be through SSH.

Thank you for posting what you changed that resolved the problem you had, we appreciate all the efforts and contribution. This will help others who maybe experiencing the same problem.

Regards,

Message 22 of 24
chamonix
Aspirant

I was able to 'refresh' the AFP advertisement of Time Machine by increasing the storage on the shared TM volume within the ReadyNAS admin tool, immediately decreasing the storage back, and only then clicking "Apply" (effectively not changing the amount but getting the Apply button to work).  Poof, all of a sudden the NAS appeared under the AFP protocol in MacOSX Finder, and the timemachine volume was available in the Time Machine Preferences.  Seems like there should be a better way, but it was an easy hack that worked.  I'm on firmware 6.4.1, with a ReadyNAS 312.

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay
Message 23 of 24
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi chamonix,

Thank you for sharing your workaround. The increased time machine storage or some MAC OS X updates might have contribute in getting this working again. We appreciate your contribution to the community. 

I hope that you will continue to post any suggestions, questions, recommendations or anything about your ReadyNAS that you think needs attention or will help others.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements