× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Error Booting ReadyNas 104 - Boot from USB Failed!

BMuuN
Aspirant

Error Booting ReadyNas 104 - Boot from USB Failed!

I have my NAS set to boot at 4PM everyday and shutdown at 1AM every morning. This afternoon when my NAS booted it dislayed on the LCD screen:

Boot from USB
Failed!

I cannot ping the NAS nor can I access the web admin interface or any of the netwrok shares Smiley Sad

After reading through the forum the suggested recovery method is creating a USB Recovery Tool to install the latest OS: How-do-I-use-the-USB-Recovery-Tool-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system however it states this should only be done when the Netgear Technicial Support has recommended it.  Does anyone have any other suggestions on how I can revive my NAS or shall I take the plunge and try the USB Recovery Tool?

For reference:

• I have a ReadyNas 104
  • I have 4 x 3TB WD Red drives installed.
  • No USB devices are connected to the NAS.
  • I'm not sure what Firware/OS Version my NAS was running however I'm positive the last update I did was back in March which suggest I may have been running v6.9.3 as this version was released around that time.
  • I've tried booting the NAS without any hard drives installed and I get the same error displyed on the LCD screen.
  • This issue has happened randomly, it was working fine yesterday afternoon.
Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Error Booting ReadyNas 104 - Boot from USB Failed!

Hi @BMuuN

You can go ahead and perform USB Recovery. You should prepare a several USB drives to be used.

You can download the OS 6.9.3 Firmware here.

Hope this helps!

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @BMuuN

You can go ahead and perform USB Recovery. You should prepare a several USB drives to be used.

You can download the OS 6.9.3 Firmware here.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 5
BMuuN
Aspirant

Thanks for getting back to me @Marc_V and thanks for the instructions.

Quick question: - will installing OS v6.9.3 wipe the data on the hard drives or will it only update the OS on the NAS?

Message 3 of 5
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @BMuuN

It should only recover the OS on the NAS. It should not affect the data Smiley Happy

One thing to note though, make sure you follow the instructions very well and if in any case your Unit failed to recover and still under 3 years (RN104 has 3 years hardware warranty) then you should contact NETGEAR Support so you can be assisted with RMA.

Let me know if the USB boot recovery does not help resolve the issue.

Regards

Message 4 of 5
BMuuN
Aspirant

Thanks for the assistance @Marc_V your suggestion revived my NAS, I owe you a beer!

For anyone else with this issue, here's how I got my NAS to boot: -

I only had 2 USB devices avaialble to perform the recovery and I tried with both for a long time and neither worked: - the NAS would boot into recovery mode and after ~60 seconds it would shut down however when I removed the USB and powered up the NAS I would see the message:

Boot from USB
Failed!

On first boot (after recovery) it seems like the NAS was trying to read from the USB so rather than remove the USB (as recommended in Step 5) I decided to leave it plugged into the NAS and that worked.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements