× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ethernet Cable Killing ReadyNas Duo [RND2000 v2]

YesMinister
Aspirant

Ethernet Cable Killing ReadyNas Duo [RND2000 v2]

Over the last few days I've started having a problem with my Duo crashing out the network and being unreachable/unrepsonsive until I reboot it. Then, when I do anything to do with restarting/rebooting etc. it will freeze on a solid blue light (no other lights moving) until I physically unplug the ethernet cable from the back. Then it starts into life again and will work if I wait until it fully boots before plugging the ethernet back in again... at least until it crashes the next day.

I've tried an OS reinstall, I've run a memory check, I've flushed the log files and run volume scans and boot scans but this keeps repeating.

Additionally, it's started reporting both drives as 'dead' (yellow lights flashing on FrontView homepage) despite the fact that both work fine.

Any ideas?

Model:ReadyNAS Duo
Serial:24M30A7C015C0
Firmware:RAIDiator 4.1.15 [1.00a043] 
Memory:256 MB [2.5-3-3-7]
IPv4 address::192.168.2.23
Volume C:Online, RAID Level 0 , Single disk, 81% of 1845 GB used
Volume 😧Online, RAID Level 0 , Single disk, 84% of 916 GB used
Message 1 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Re: Ethernet Cable Killing ReadyNas Duo [RND2000 v2]

You have a duo v1 (a v2 runs 5.x.x firmware)

Do you have any add-ons installed?  If so, which?

Message 2 of 15
YesMinister
Aspirant

Just wrote the model number as it's written on the bottom of the unit. I know it isn't a v2, but for some reason it's written on the underside of the unit.

No add-ons installed. 

Message 3 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@YesMinister wrote:

Just wrote the model number as it's written on the bottom of the unit. I know it isn't a v2, but for some reason it's written on the underside of the unit.

The reason is explained here: http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how-to-tell-whether-i-have-a-duo-v1-or-duo-v2-or-nv-v1-or-nv-v2/  Calling it a v2 here will create confusion.

Have you made a backup of the data?  I'm thinking that data is at risk.

One option is to back up the data and try a full reset/rebuild the NAS and reload the files from backup.

Another might be to enable ssh, and look at the OS volume.

Message 4 of 15
YesMinister
Aspirant

Okay, I'll start backing up data now with a full reinstall in view.

How do you go about checking the OS via SSH?

I know how to install access and use terminal and login and the like, but once I'm in, what am I looking for?

Message 5 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Start with checking for the fullness of the OS partition (which is only 2 GB on your NAS).  For instance,

df . -h

df . -i

Message 6 of 15
YesMinister
Aspirant

Nasdrive:~# df . -h

Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/md0              1.9G  963M 1021M  49% /

Nasdrive:~# df . -i

Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on

/dev/md0              128000    8010  119990    7% /

Doesn't seem to be an issue there...

Message 7 of 15
StephenB
Guru

OS partition is somewhat fuller than what I normally see (which is ~20%, not ~50%), but it certainly isn't full.  However, something must be logging a fair amount of stuff.

Message 8 of 15
YesMinister
Aspirant

Okay. I've factory reset this Duo now and done a clean install of the HDDs. Still having the same problem (except none of the drives are showing as 'dead' in FrontView now), but I think I've narrowed it down. It seems to be something that my router is sending to the ReadyNas after a period of time which is causing the Nas to completely freeze up. It returns to normal if I either unplug the ethernet cable, or restart the router.

Router: 

AC1750 DB Wireless Dual-Band AC+ Gigabit Router

Model: ReadyNas Duo: RND2000

Firmware: RAIDiator 4.1.15 [1.00a043] 

Add-ons: none

Ethernet lights: Solid amber, blinking green.

So to reiterate, I'll be using the system as normal, then something causes the ReadyNas drop off my network. After that, it's unreachable by either Raidar or Frontview, at least until I do many/all of the things listed above.

Message 9 of 15
YesMinister
Aspirant

Didn't include before, but the router is a Belkin.

Message 10 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Do you have ReadyDLNA enabled on the Duo?

How about ipv6 on the Router?

Message 11 of 15
YesMinister
Aspirant

ReadyDLNA: not enabled

IPv6 on router: There's an option for IPv6 passthrough, but this is set to 'off'.

Are those both as they should be?

Message 12 of 15
frenchcl
Aspirant

I can not seem to ask a question - I am new - my question was deleted because of inappropriate content.  I need help.  I need a longer ethernet cable from my computer to my router (Blackhawk R8000).  I do not know what to purchase.  Can someone tell me specifically what I need?  Thanks.

Message 13 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@frenchcl wrote:

I can not seem to ask a question - I am new - my question was deleted because of inappropriate content.  I need help.  I need a longer ethernet cable from my computer to my router (Blackhawk R8000).  I do not know what to purchase.  Can someone tell me specifically what I need?  Thanks.

You are in the wrong forum.  Any cat 5e or cat 6 cable will do.

Message 14 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@YesMinister wrote:

ReadyDLNA: not enabled

IPv6 on router: There's an option for IPv6 passthrough, but this is set to 'off'.

Are those both as they should be?

They are fine.

I am wondering if the next step is to do a factory reset and restore the NAS data from the backup.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements