× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Expand ReadNAS capacity by adding another NAS

Gimpson
Aspirant

Expand ReadNAS capacity by adding another NAS

Hi!

I have a ReadyNAS NV2+, and am rapidly running out of storage space. I looked at buying a new 8-bay NAS (from various manufacturers such as QNap), but these see to be many times more expensive than the ReadyNAS 4-bay units.

So, my question is this: can I buy a second ReadyNAS, and link it to my old one to expand the capacity? Ideally, I'll like to link the 2 NAS together to maintain a single volume (rather than having two separate NAS), and have them run in X-RAID2 mode to mitigate HDD failure.

Any thoughts on how I can do this (or a more appropriate alternative solution) most welcome!

Many thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Expand ReadNAS capacity by adding another NAS

You can't link ReadyNAS ito create a single volume, so you'd need to run the two NAS independently. If you add network locations to windows file explorer (or create desktop shortcuts for different shares) this would be pretty transparent for the users.

Some NAS models do support an expansion module (an EDA500), but the NV+ v2 is not one of them.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

You can't link ReadyNAS ito create a single volume, so you'd need to run the two NAS independently. If you add network locations to windows file explorer (or create desktop shortcuts for different shares) this would be pretty transparent for the users.

Some NAS models do support an expansion module (an EDA500), but the NV+ v2 is not one of them.

Message 2 of 4
Gimpson
Aspirant

Many thanks StephenB

I did wonder if it was even possible to do, so thanks for confirming. I'll have to look to an alternative solution, namely buying a new NAS I suspect.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Getting a new/larger NAS and using the old one for backup is a reasonable approach too.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements