× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ext4 issues on FW 6.4.0

KillerBob
Aspirant

Ext4 issues on FW 6.4.0

I have a ReadyNAS Ultra 2, which I use for backup. Connected to it I have a HDD caddy with 2 disks, both formatted to Ext4. I have shares on these and backup to them regularly. I did this today, and then I upgraded the FW to 6.4.0, and following that when I connect the external HDDs (via the USB caddy) I get the message that "External storage device is connected but the file system is not recognized."

What's going on?

Message 1 of 6
KillerBob
Aspirant

BTW - I connect the very same caddy with the very same HDDs to my ReadyNAS Pioneer Pro, which is "only" on FW 6.2.4, and it works just fine...

Message 2 of 6
jjanci
Aspirant

I have same problem since I updated firmware to 6.4.0

Most of the time I using USB Toshiba 1TB (NTFS) works OK just before update.

After update, when I connect HDD message pops "External storage device connected" but is dificult to work wit it.

-backup task doesnt work

-I cant format hdd as before...

then I connect 64GB USB stick, that works fine as at firmvare 6.2.4

I'll tryed another one USB 4TB toshiba and same message as KillerBob apper "System: External storage device is connected but the file system is not recognized."

All drives still works fine with PC.

I tryed to downgrade firmware to 6.2.4 but that doesnt work too.

Its realy disapointing me, all external backups are outdated now. I just hope that nothing happend before fix firmware be released.

Message 3 of 6
KillerBob
Aspirant

OK, this is looking like a bug. A bug of course on an unsupported installation (FW 6.4.0 on legacy ReadyNAS). So what do we do? Wait for a fix, which may or may not be coming, or find a way to get back to FW 6.2.4???

Message 4 of 6
KillerBob
Aspirant

Really, noone can say if it's just the two of us, or a general issue? It's quite an issue, and as this is unsupported we can only depend on this forum to come up with some suggestions...

Message 5 of 6
cpu8088
Virtuoso

that message """External storage device connected""" popped up even with my 312 

i went to share and highlight the usb-hdd xxx and checked allow anonymous.

after that done read and write on ntfs no prob

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements