× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Extending ReadyNAS 316

AKLGUY
Apprentice

Extending ReadyNAS 316

I currently have an RN316 with 5x3TB drives inside It is getting close to being full again. I know I can stick another 3TB drive in the last slot.
But I have been thinking for future.

Is the EDA500 an option or has this been discontinued?

I was thinking of getting the EDA500, ESATA to the RN316 Get a 4TB drive to replace a 3TB in the 316 (when the 4tb is ready) and put the 3TB in the EDA500.

I mainly use Plex on my NAS and it is the backup of my home computer gear.

Or can I get another RN316 and ESATA them together?

I wouldn't want one volume (as I heard if you a 316 and an eda500 and one volume you can lose data if the ESATA cable is disconnected)

Model: ReadyNAS-3100|ReadyNAS-3100
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

You can still get an EDA500, though I think you are better off expanding to larger disks. 

For instance, 2 WD60EFRX would increase the space from 12->18 TB (assuming XRAID), and would cost less than an EDA500 and one WD40EFRX.

Message 2 of 9
AKLGUY
Apprentice

Thanks StephenB, I have thought about that.

But what I was going to do as I upgrade the disks in the RN316 I will put the older one in the EDA500

Or should I lash out and get the RR3312 ha ha?

Message 3 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Many disks that are suitable for the RN316 are completely inappropriate to use in the RR3312.

Message 4 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

Many disks that are suitable for the RN316 are completely inappropriate to use in the RR3312.

The 12-bay units need enterprise-class drives, since there's more issues with vibration.  My understanding is that they are also pretty noisy.

@AKLGUY wrote:

Thanks StephenB, I have thought about that.

But what I was going to do as I upgrade the disks in the RN316 I will put the older one in the EDA500

Well, in my view the EDA500 is expensive for what you get,  

You haven't talked about backup - another option is to invest in a second NAS (IMO a better investment than an EDA), and begin adding capacity to that - using one of the NAS for backup.  That's more expensive of course, but trying to rebuild a large media library takes a lot of time and effort - so personally I have invested in backups for mine.

Message 5 of 9

You can put another disk into the device in the free slot but would recommand to purchase another 316 for the future or a higher device!

Message 6 of 9
AKLGUY
Apprentice

Can I link the 2 RN316's via ESATA?
I have plex running on my current one at the moment. Just want to have the one library
Message 7 of 9

"Can I link the 2 RN316's via ESATA?" NO
You can backup the library to your new one!

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@AKLGUY wrote:
Can I link the 2 RN316's via ESATA?

No.

@AKLGUY wrote:

I have plex running on my current one at the moment. Just want to have the one library

Understood.

Looking at the plex forums, people have had trouble using \\servername\sharename folder names in libraries.  You could follow up on the plex forums on whether the issues with that have been dealt with (specifically with the Linux version of plex)

Assuming they haven't:

• The simplest workaround is to run plex on a PC (windows or mac), mounting the media shares as network drives.
  • A more complex workaround (requiring ssh) is to mount the second ReadyNAS mediashares to a mount point on the first ReadyNAS's data volume.
  • Or expand capacity on your existing NAS as suggested above.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements