× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: External USB backup failed, deleted, replaced, still there.

okulo
Aspirant

External USB backup failed, deleted, replaced, still there. #25539498

I'm a bit lost on this new site and I can't log in with my ReadyNAS ID so I only seem to have the option of using an ID I created when I registered my DGND3300 years ago.

I'm sure there used to be an appropriate section for backup jobs but I can't find it.

Anyway, after I updated to OS 6.2.5, I got an error e-mail saying that my USB backup had failed because the destination could not be accessed. I attempted to start it again manually but it failed again. I knew that this update addressed the USB backup job creation problem so I thought I should create a new backup job and delete the old one, which I did and it worked fine except that the new ID USB_HDD_2 was the only option available and the old USB share (USB_HDD_1) still appears in the Mac Finder when I connect via SMB (the only way I can access my USB device).

If I try to open it, I get the error, 'The operation can’t be completed because the original item for “USB_HDD_1” can’t be found.'

I can't seem to find any way of deleting the USB_HDD_1 share as it isn't listed anywhere.

I have tried restarting the ReadyNAS and my Mac but it made no difference. How can I remove it?

Message 1 of 15
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi okulo,

Probably a cached network share in your computer. Either you ignore it, restart your computer or clear recent servers under "Connect to Server". 

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community

Message 2 of 15
okulo
Aspirant

Hello.

Thanks for the reply.

I had already restarted my Mac but I have tried it again this morning without any change. I have found in the past that if there is a connection problem with my ReadyNAS, I can clear it by restarting the Finder which is a lot quicker and saves closing anything I might be working on but that hadn't helped so I rebooted.

I tried 'clear recent servers' under Connect to Server but that seemed to cause the Finder to crash and it would not restart so I rebooted again after which USB_HDD_1 is still there.

usb-hdd-1.jpg

Message 3 of 15
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi okulo,

Do you see the the USB under System - Overview? Have you tried ejecting from there then reboot NAS, then plug the USB back to the NAS before it boots up?

Please also check on another computer if it sees the USB_HDD_1 it when you map the NAS' IP.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Message 4 of 15
okulo
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.

As can be seen from the screen grab, there is nothing in Overview apart from the USB drive which is now in use; i.e. USB_HDD_2, although it is not identified as such in Overview.

It was a good idea to check from another computer and yes, both USB_HDD_1 and USB_HDD_2 appear as shares on a Mac from which I have never connected to either of the USB drives.

readynas-overview.jpg

Message 5 of 15
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello okulo,

Thanks for getting back.

Can you try ejecting the USB from Overview? Then reboot NAS, then plug the USB HDD? This might affect the current backup job with the USB disk but should work again once reconfigured.

Regards,

Message 6 of 15
okulo
Aspirant

I am part way through doing as you asked - I am just waiting for the ReadyNAS to reboot but I thought it worth mentioning that after ejecting USB_HDD_2 (I assume) in Overview, USB_HDD_1 was still visible in the Finder SMB window whilst USB_HDD_2 had disappeared.

Message 7 of 15
okulo
Aspirant

And after reboot was complete and with the USB drive still disconnected, USB_HDD_1 is still there in the SMB finder window.

Likewise, after connecting the USB drive, both USB_HDD_1 and USB_HDD_2 are visible.

Message 8 of 15
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello okulo,

I checked your records and found that you have RN102.

This still has support via phone. It is best you contact support center already for this may need escalation to L3, I think.

Regards,

Message 9 of 15
okulo
Aspirant

Thank you.

I looked on the support pages and the only phone numbers were in the US and I am in the UK so I submitted a support request via the e-mail option.

Message 10 of 15
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Here it is 0844 875 4000 

Regards,

Message 11 of 15
okulo
Aspirant

Thank you.

I seem to have a new open case so I will wait to see what becomes of that before I phone as it may cause confusion.

Message 12 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@okulo wrote:

Thank you.

I looked on the support pages and the only phone numbers were in the US and I am in the UK so I submitted a support request via the e-mail option.

http://support.netgear.com/general/contact/#tab-call has a pulldown which allows you to choose the country.  UK is an option, the number listed there for home products (like the RN102) is 0844 875 4000

Message 13 of 15
okulo
Aspirant

After several days of e-mail support during which time I was told it was a problem with my Mac despite it occuring on two other Macs which had never been connected to the USB share and therefore didn't even 'know' it existed, the problem was finally fixed.

I was advised to do the following:

1. Go to the admin page of the NAS and click on shares.
2. Go Backup share and reset the permissions.
3. After resetting the permission, enable the Guest access with Read/Write privileges on the share.
4. Now go to the USB share, please repeat the steps.
5. Check if the you can access the USB_HDD_1 shares on your MAC, now if not please reboot the MAC.

However, I was somewhat confused and applied what I could of the above process just to the USB External share (the Guest access did not apply) and did not apply it to the Backup share - I can partially blame this error on my eyesight.

As a result, and without rebooting my Mac, the USB_HDD_1 share has disappeared.

Message 14 of 15
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi okulo,

Thanks for sharing the workaround that fixed this issue. Hopefully you won't experience any problems with your ReadyNAS system.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements