× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FAQ - Measuring performance with IOMeter

Han_Solo
Tutor

FAQ - Measuring performance with IOMeter

Below are step I do to setup IOMeter. After you get an understanding of all the settings you can adjust them to test a specific test case you are interested in. If anyone has any questions just let us know.

1. Download IOMeter and install it (you can download it at http://www.iometer.org ).

2. Before I launch IOMeter I create a network drive that is mapped to the NAS share I want. Whatever drive letter you assign to your network drive write it down you will need it later.

3. The next step is to launch IOMeter.

4. When IOMeter is up and running go to the “Topology” field and select your PC name and when the tree expands select “Worker 1”.

5. The “Disk Targets” tab should be selected by default and it should show you all the drives that are available to IOMeter. Select your mapped drive.

6. Then you must enter in a value where it says “Maximum Disk Size”. I enter in 2048000 sectors. What IOMeter does here is create a file it calls “iobw.tst” in your share and the runs test using that file size. I purposely use a 1gig file because I want to make sure that the test is forced to write and read to disk with out the possibility of the test just using the NAS memory and not the disks.

7. The next step is to create the test scripts you will be using. I set my up as follows. Select the “Access Specifications” tab. Then click on the “New” button.

A new popup shows up that allows you to set your access specs. Set only the following:

Transfer Request Size = 256 Kilobytes
Percent Random/Sequential Distribution = 100% Sequential
Percent Read/Write Distribution = 100% Write

All the other options you don’t need to touch. Under the name file I enter in 256K_Write. Select OK. If you scroll down the “Global Access Specifications” field you will see your newly created test script. Select the new script and click on the “add” button. The script I just did is only for Writes and you will need repeat the step you just did but in the “Percent Random/Write Dist” you set it to 100% read and finally I name my test script 256K_Read. After you select the Read script you are done with this tab.

Alternatively, you can right-click and save the IOMeter config file iometer.icf, and load it in IOMeter.

8. Select the “Results Display” tab. Then change the “Update Frequency” to 1.

9. Now select the “Test Setup” tab. Modify the “Run Time field to 2 minutes.

10. There is an icon that looks like a floppy disk click on it. Save your file with whatever name you want.

11. Click on the green flag icon and your tests are off and running.

You now have your test scripts ready. When you first run your tests you will notice in the “Results Display” tab that nothing is happening. This is because IOMeter is creating the test file on your network drive.

For general reference here is our hardware configuration we use for testing performance.

Computer: 2.60GHz, 1 GB of RAM, Seagate St380023AS 80GB drive, Intel Pro/1000 CT Nic.

Software: Win2k Service Pack 4

Switch: SMC 8508T
Message 1 of 20
eluijten
Aspirant

Thx. I did exactly what you described. Nice and clear explanation!
Message 2 of 20
sylvainp
Aspirant

I also did the test with all the same setup

Here are my results with the REadyNAS Pro Business with 5 x 500 GB WD RE3

256Kb SEQ Read = 40.91 MB/s
256Kb SEQ write = 63.73 MB/s
CPU Utilization = 19.25%

When I drag and drop from SSD and the RAPTOR (RAID 0) to the NAS I get aroung 60MB/s average
But when I drag and drop from the NAS to SSD (PC) or RAPTOR it is slower at around 40 - 50 MB/s

Here the same test on my SSD drive
256Kb SEQ Read = 238 MB/s
256Kb SEQ write = 70.23 MB/s
CPU Utilization = 4.54%

Here the same test on the 2 WD RAPTOR (RAID 0)
256Kb SEQ Read = 160.12 MB/s
256Kb SEQ write = 151.23 MB/s
CPU Utilization = 4.46%

So my RAPTOR RAID0 setup is faster than the limit of 1 Gbits (125 MB/s) so these drives should be fast enough
to tell me the fastest speed the Pro can go.

Not impressed about the results and it's far away from what I expected to get performance from the Pro.

I have no network errors
Update firmware to the latest version, factory reset (to use EXT 4) then X-RAID2 single redundancy
Journaling disabled (all the optimal settings)
No jumbo frame (my Linksys WRT610N doesn't support it)
Full duplex, 1Gbs connection, CAT5 cable (good quality)

I don't think that it could be the Linksys WRT610N that will slow down the speed but to be sure I would want to try to connect
the Pro directly to the PC. On my PC I have 2 LAN port.

How can I plug the Pro directly to my PC to test it ?

How can I improve the speed of the Pro to get speed in the 80 - 100 MB/s the way it should be.

I pick the Pro Business instead of the NVX because I wanted to get better speed. But so far I think I took the bad decision
if I check the speed I get with mine.

Another last question: What is the normal range temp for the CPU on the Pro ? I get around 59 degree !
My Quad core overclocked to 3.0Ghz is not even reach these temp at full throttle !

Here the spec of my PC as information

Quad core Q6600 OC 3.0Ghz
8GB memory
1 80 GB Intel 25M SSD Drive (Windows 7 64 bits)
2 WD Raptor in RAID 0
Wireless N router Linksys WRT610N
APC Smart-UPS 1500 VA
Message 3 of 20
Tarkus
Tutor

I have some perfomance issues with my NV+, so I downloaded and installed the 2006.07.27 version of Iometer and tried to follow the instructions in the first post.

First thing I get is two error dialogs, the first saying
  ===> ERROR: binding to socket <hostname> failed.
[PortTCP::Create in IOPortTCP.cpp line 288]
errno = 10048

and the second saying
  Could not create TCP/IP port for Dynamo login!

Any suggestions?

The host is a homebuilt Athlon running WinXP SP3.
Message 4 of 20
iDragon
Apprentice

Odd, I've just setup iometer as described here, and was getting abysmal speeds with my ultra 4, something like ~15MB/s write and 10MB/s read, but if I do a drag and drop file copy in explorer, it goes at ~52MB/s write and ~62MB/s read, which clearly appear to be fine enough. I even tried using the .icf file above, and I was getting 22MB/s write and 6MB/s read! something seems off there and I've no idea what.
Message 5 of 20
ritasamson
Aspirant

Tarkus wrote:
I have some perfomance issues with my NV+, so I downloaded and installed the 2006.07.27 version of Iometer and tried to follow the instructions in the first post.

First thing I get is two error dialogs, the first saying
  ===> ERROR: binding to socket <hostname> failed.
[PortTCP::Create in IOPortTCP.cpp line 288]
errno = 10048

and the second saying
  Could not create TCP/IP port for Dynamo login!

Any suggestions?

The host is a homebuilt Athlon running WinXP SP3.

no idea. may be you can solve your error in other topics.
Message 6 of 20
ambok
Aspirant

this is one of the best. . . . 😄

conaxsat nano 2
Message 7 of 20
DaveBlaschke
Aspirant

Thanks for the solution. It really worked well. :lol:
I spent a lot of time to solve it the help of manual but didn't succeeded. I did exactly what you said and its just worked out.
Message 8 of 20
eea123
Aspirant

My results with our RadyNAS Duo are 22.05Mb/s Write and 34.6Mb/s Read on a 10/100/1Gb switch. These are factory default settings, no jumbo frames and index journaling is still on.
Message 9 of 20
ftosam
Aspirant

Results on our ReadyNAS NV+
(Loaded with 2x 2Tb Hitachi 7,200rpm 32mb HDDs)

Jumbo Frames Off
256Kb SEQ Read = 30.13 MB/s
256Kb SEQ write = 21.52 MB/s
CPU Utilization = 7%

Jumbo Frames On
256Kb SEQ Read = 25.7 MB/s
256Kb SEQ write = 34.3 MB/s
CPU Utilization = 7%

Tested on a Qosmio X500/02G
- i7 1.73Ghz
- 64Gb OCZ Vertex II SSD
- 8 GB DDR3
- 1Gbit NIC
Cisoco 8 Port Gigabit switch

Wanting to get a bit better speed over our network, and honestly expected better out of this setup. I get those rates off a USB Hdd...

What could we do to speed things up? All settings are standard and have the latest RAIDiator.

Considering throwing in another Drive or two.. would this help speed things up?

In my desktop I have 4x 500Gb drives and get around 150Mb/s
Message 10 of 20
lRyan
Aspirant

Sounds like an awesome software here but I still have a question, does it work under Mac OS? I am a Mac user and I don't have Windows OS anywhere. Thanks in advance for your answer I appreciate it!
Message 11 of 20
Cooley2006
Aspirant

Hello there guys! Thanks a lot for sharing your reviews and experience on this program, it was very informative and interesting to read your posts! Thanks a lot for sharing!
Message 12 of 20
StuHolmes
Aspirant

I have been having issues with my Duo for a couple of weeks now, really painfully slow to access.

IOMeter was showing read and write speeds of sub 1MB/s. :cry:

Stopping all services boosted it to 6-7MB/s ( I think it was Squeezeserver that made the difference), but this is still far too slow isn't it?

No network errors;
Network Errors [Ethernet 1]
Auto-negotiation 0
Bad packets 0
Disconnect 0
False carrier 0
Idle errors 0
Link failures 0
Receive errors 0
Symbol errors 0
VLAN tags 0
TCP Retransmits 9
Unrecovered TCP Retransmits 0

No errors on SMART info.

I've tried different cables, all cat6. Two routers. Downgraded to raidiator 4.1.7 in case it was an issue with the recent upgrade.

Don't know what else to try. Any suggestions???
Message 13 of 20
JasonR1
Aspirant

I had problem in step 4 "When IOMeter is up and running go to the “Topology” field and select your PC name and when the tree expands select “Worker 1”. ". .. this thread solved it.. Thanks
Message 14 of 20
wardmw
Aspirant

Hi all,

I am having a problem getting IOMeter to see my network share. It exists OK, I mapped it by using:
c:\> net use m: \\192.168.2.10\media

and entering a user ID and password since it's secured. I can view the contents of the share successfully in Windows and in a DOS box:
c:\> dir m:\

However I cannot get IOMeter to see the network drive. It shows the local and USB drives but not the network ones.

Any suggestions? Its a RND4000 ReadyNAS NV+ with two disk in RAID-X if that helps.

|\/|artin
Message 15 of 20
StephenB
Guru

Re: FAQ - Measuring performance with IOMeterMaybe

Maybe as a work-around you can try to create a test share just for iometer - with no security set.
Message 16 of 20
wardmw
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion Stephen but it made no difference. I did get it to work however by using a lower driver letter, K instead of M, no idea why that would make a difference but it does!

|\/|
Message 17 of 20
wardmw
Aspirant

The stupid thing now is that IOMeter now sees the M: drive that I was complaining about in the first place. Possibly it was PEBCAK, I do admit to being fallible!
Message 18 of 20
guriinii
Aspirant

Hi, I'm new to NAS drives and I'm having a problem reading the results. Do read the iobw.tst file or the results.csv and what programs do I need to read them? I have searched the net but have been unable to find the correct programs.
Message 19 of 20
aussupport
Aspirant

HI,

My NAS in Branch Office and can this IOMeter will show the performancewhen i run from HQ?

Do i need this 1 GiG file to test?

What is the values for best performance? or what values i should look?

AS
Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements