× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Factory Reset with 6.1.8 and restoring config and data

toby11
Aspirant

Factory Reset with 6.1.8 and restoring config and data

Hi there,
due to the btrfs related problems some time ago, I now decided to do a factory reset. So I di a backup of all data and also saved the configuration. Did the factory reset, system booted up and was reachable. I then logged in via browser and jumped over the initial setup process since I restored the configuration from the backup file. After that the NAS switched the network adress to the known one but when I try to access now via browser it says "device offline". I can ping it and also see it within raidar. Do I have to wait untill the resync process is finished or are there any preparations to be made before restoring the configuration? If this is the case I can do a factory reset again and do not have to wait for the resync process to be finished.

Greetings
Tobias
Message 1 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Factory Reset with 6.1.8 and restoring configuration

What firmware was the configuration backup made on?

It's possible that some of the restored config has broken the Dashboard?
Message 2 of 16
toby11
Aspirant

FW has been 6.1.8 also, I just did the factory reset due to some problems I had before (snapshots stop without reason after some time, the device shows no more log entrys, the device is not turning of clean, etc.) and the btrfs issues. So better do a fac reset again and to all config from scratch? What is the config backup then for?
Message 3 of 16
toby11
Aspirant

And if the Dashboard is broken, the only way to fix is fac reset or woulf an OS reinstall do the job also?
Message 4 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried another web browser? If not, try that.

You could wait and see if the problem is still there once the resync completes. The Dashboard might not be working due to the heavy load of a resync.

It's possible there could be a bug with the config backup.

You could try doing an OS Re-install to see if that helps.

Also you could try contacting support.

If all else fails, a factory reset is an option.
Message 5 of 16
toby11
Aspirant

Yeah tried Firefox, Chrome and IE, no change. I looked into the configuration archive and saw some shares included I deleted long ago, a bit strange... Since the resync process is only at 7% I do a fac reset agin and make a clean configuration. I guess I can extract most of the information from the config archive.

Thanks a lot for your fast response 🙂
Toby
Message 6 of 16
toby11
Aspirant

Ok, system is up and running so far. After the 2nd factory reset the dashboard is ok as well and I managed to remember all the settings.

I have one question concerning the transfer of my backup to the ReadyNAS. I did the backup using rsync to an external eSATA drive (NTFS/GPT). I now realized that bringing them back to the NAS using rsync seems to mess up the ownership and rights of the data. All data is set to root.root and rwxrwxrwx, maybe it was my misunderstandig that the data on the external drive preserve there ownership and rights. I know I can mark the option that the data ist switched to the owner/group of the share after the job has run, but still the rights stay at rwxrwxrwx. So anybody could access them. I remember from my Ultra6 that there is an option where you could explicitly tell what owner/group and rights the files shell have, but this option is not existent under OS6. Only the button to bring the share back to default rights, which sucks a lot.

Since I am quite used to command line and linux, maybe anybody can give a push how to change the ownership/group/rights under OS6. I seems a bit different because of the ACL I think. And maybe a hint how I could to a backup to an external drive in a way that the files stay like they are. Would it work using ext4 on the external drive? But then it is more complicated to use the data on a standard windows system, which I like in case of problems.

Thank in advance!
Toby
Message 7 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Factory Reset with 6.1.8 and restoring config and data

Backing up to an external drive the permissions can't be preserved. That's one of the drawbacks of backups to external disks.

Perhaps open a support case and let us know hoe you get on.
Message 8 of 16
toby11
Aspirant

Ok, that was my conclusion as well. Would not really matter if there is a way for the user to adjust the ownership/group like it was in the old OS. For now I just plugged the external drive into my windows system and copy the data over cifs, that way I get at least the owner/group and rights all right. We only loose the original timestamp and owner, but we can live with that.
Usually I have a backup job to the Ultra6 device I can use for recovery, but we don´t use the option with deleting files that are deleted at source at the moment since we had problems with snapshots on the 316. So I will test around what will be the best way for us to maintain a offline backup 🙂
Message 9 of 16
StephenB
Guru

You can reset owner/group on the admin page.
Message 10 of 16
toby11
Aspirant

I was looking for it and just did it again. I can´t find any option that allows me to change the owner/group to a dedicated value. Only thing I know is the reset to netgear defaults which is definitly not what I want or need. Maybe you can give me a hint where to find it? I will as well play around on the command line, but not with our live data. Will set up a "playground share" tomorrow.
Message 11 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Yes, you are correct.

I assumed "reset" would use the settings from "file access", but in fact it uses guest/guest.

Hopefully they will fix that.
Message 12 of 16
toby11
Aspirant

Now you see why I said the option ist actually crap. It´s only good for an emergency case when you are not able to access the files for some reason. I stated this "problem" allready about a year ago (at least right when we had our 316) and also had a ticket open. So I assume nothing will happen in near future.
Message 13 of 16
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

You can recursively change permissions and ownership straight from Windows if you have permission to do so. So, for example, if all your files are owned by guest, you can do that while logged in as guest. Or, if the ownership and permissions are in weird state, you can always log in as admin and change them however you like.
Message 14 of 16
JJCHIN
Aspirant

How do you do that from Windows?

Message 15 of 16
StephenB
Guru

right-click on a folder, and select properties.  Then go to the security tab.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements