× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Factory default to RAID6 on 6 drive units?

Tonkinite
Luminary

Factory default to RAID6 on 6 drive units?

Apparently factory default to RAID5 is still standard on 6-bay units, even with ReadyOS 6.6+.

I realize most customers might not want/need this, but the work of allowing the factory install complete, destroying the volume, creating a Flex-RAID RAID6 volume, then converting it:

• Takes a substantial amount of time, both for the hardware and customer
  • Likely results in sub-optimal volume layout

Can't the OS just provide a selectable option on Factory Default?

Advice, suggestions, etc.?

Model: RN526X| ReadyNAS 526X 6-Bay with up to 60TB total storage
Message 1 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Factory default to RAID6 on 6 drive units?

I think this should go to the ideas section. To my understanding Netgear developers are scanning that section for most popular suggestions of features to be introduced to future firmware releases.

Message 2 of 10
Tonkinite
Luminary

It's there now, thanks!

Model: RN626X | ReadyNAS 626X 6-Bay with Intel® Xeon® Quad-Core Server Processor
Message 3 of 10
jak0lantash
Mentor

@Tonkinite wrote:

Athe work of allowing the factory install complete, destroying the volume, creating a Flex-RAID RAID6 volume

Tbh, that takes about 10 minutes, if even.

RAIDiator 4 used to allow this with RAIDar, and, in my opinion, that was more difficult for most customers. I believe it's better the way OS6 does.

Posting as an idea was the best thing to do, so users can vote. If many see it the same way you do, then it'd be only fair to consider it.

Message 4 of 10
Tonkinite
Luminary

We're about to find out tomorrow when I do it with ReadyOS 6.6.1 on an RN626X on a 6x6 TB Volume.

I'll time it and post.

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay, RN526X| ReadyNAS 526X 6-Bay with up to 60TB total storage
Message 5 of 10
Tonkinite
Luminary

You're right, about 9 minutes, because it doesn't rework the volume each time.

But it's still a pretty arcane process that no newbie would be able to do by themselves.

In 2013, L1 didn't even know how to do it, a L2 person walked me through it.

Model: RN626X | ReadyNAS 626X 6-Bay with Intel® Xeon® Quad-Core Server Processor
Message 6 of 10
jak0lantash
Mentor

@Tonkinite wrote:

But it's still a pretty arcane process that no newbie would be able to do by themselves.

Flex-RAID is not meant for newbies, but I agree that there is plenty of room for improvement. I suggest posting something as an "idea" to poll other users.

@Tonkinite wrote:

In 2013, L1 didn't even know how to do it, a L2 person walked me through it.

I also agree that it would have been better to get the right answer straight away. If I remember correctly, OS6 units were first released in 2013, which doesn't excuse, but may explain why some L1 agents may not have been aware of all advanced features of these new units. When L1 passed you to L2, it was the right thing to do as a (good) Support agent. You should know as much as possible, if you don't, ask/involve higher tier. Based on my experience of Tech Support (in all companies), the highest priority for L1 is to resolve as many inbound as "fast" as possible, to address most simple queries in first contact, which is good for both customers and Support, then making sure to properly log any more complex request in system to ensure fast response from higher tier.

Message 7 of 10
Tonkinite
Luminary

Was posted to Idea Exchange a week or so ago, with a few upvotes since.

Message 8 of 10
Tonkinite
Luminary

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay,RN626X | ReadyNAS 626X 6-Bay with Intel® Xeon® Quad-Core Server Processor
Message 9 of 10
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

@Tonkinite

I will file a suggestion bug to RD, 

bucasue RAIDiator 4 used to allow this with RAIDar,

Thanks for you report.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements