× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Failing hard drive replacment question

gillmacca
Aspirant

Failing hard drive replacment question

I have a readynas nv+ v2, with 3x2TB hard drives (Non-Raid). The first hard drive (contains admin, backup, c, home & some media files) has pretty much failed. I can still access the media files (which are currently being backed up to an external drive), but cannot access the other 2 hard drives (network path not found).

I have 2 questions.

1...When I replace the 1st hard drive, will the content on my other hard drives be safe, or will it reformat the drives (I currently have no backup of the other 2 drives)?

2...Can I pop the failing hard drive into the 4th slot, install the new hard drive in 1st slot, and then transfer the media to the new drive?

Thanks for your help and info

Message 1 of 2
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Failing hard drive replacment question

Did you configure the RAID yourself with Flex-RAID and made a JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks) on the NAS?
Default configuration was X-RAID and behavior will differ.

Are you able to send us the logs to get a better idea on your unit's setup?

Simple answer would be that you can use both options that you listed without formatting the drives, but I would recommend option 2 since it is available to you.

It has been a little bit since I worked on the older units. Let's start with your logs so we can se which the best option mich be for you.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements