× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware 6.2.5 Where is any information on Netgear?

GGITech
Apprentice

Firmware 6.2.5 Where is any information on Netgear?

So I login to my ReadyNAS and it notifies me that 6.2.5 is avaliable.

After all the screwups that 6.2.2 created, I thought I'd at least read the release notes before I blind update a running device.

Go to Netgear, look at news, link to firmware is for Version 6.0, In Nov of 14. FAIL.

Go to forums, nothing.....FAIL

Click on the actual link on the popup for the firmware update, it links to http://readynasIP/admin.....

FAIL.

Why is it that we continue to operate like this is all in beta, it is run like a startup, and no real information is actually published when the firmware becomes avaliable.

Why is it I am the ONLY one that askes these questions....does no one else care that their data sits on a device that is managed in this manner???

Message 1 of 12
vandermerwe
Master

What readynas model do you have?

Are you currently on 6.2.4?

I don't see notification of a new update.

There is a beta 6.2.5 RC1 here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Beta-Release/ReadyNASOS-6-2-5-RC1/m-p/950451#U950451

There are release notes.

When a new update is released there will be an announcement on the forums with a link to release notes, like for 6.2.4:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-to-ReadyNAS/ReadyNAS-OS-6-2-4-now-available/m-p/959516#U959516

Message 2 of 12
GGITech
Apprentice

Right, That is what I expected...so why do I have a firmware notice?

Can anyone explain to me why this is the case???????????
Screen Sho

Message 3 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can see the firmware release notes for recent firmware releases for the RN102 here: http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/product/RN10200#searchResults

6.2.5 was released for the 102 and 104 only.

Message 4 of 12
GGITech
Apprentice

Awesome, if I keep that link I can find something, but no where on the forum, nor on netgear can you search and find that information....

Message 5 of 12
GGITech
Apprentice

Think I will hold off since it took months to actually get the device working after the total duster truck that was 6.2.2 and deleting apps.....

Message 6 of 12
vandermerwe
Master

Edit:  beaten again, but I was right!

I agree with you that it should not be happening.  I do think Netgear are making an effort to tidy up these issues, it's not perfect no, but the fundamentals of their devices are still strong and the vast majority of users have a good experience. Users are far more likely to post about problems than about expected behaviour.   My experience with Netgear when things do go wrong is that they are quick to respond and they fix things. 

One possibility is that 6.2.5 is being released.  Perhaps wait 12-24 hours and see if there is a notice here on the forums.

I'm sure someone from Netgear will answer your question soon, they may want to look at your logs.

Message 7 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can search for the product on support.netgear.com then click on Get More Downloads you will see the Release Notes. If you simply download the zip file you will also see that the Release Notes and the firmware image are contained in the zip file. This method can be used to get the latest firmware for all NETGEAR products.

If things are working fine for you on 6.2.4 then I wouldn't see an urgent need to upgrade.

Thanks for your feedback. We are working through how best to advise of new firmware releases on the forums.

Message 8 of 12
GGITech
Apprentice

Thanks MDGM, you are the single person that has helped me in all cases.

Netgear as a company has been totally useless, and of course, after waiting 89 days to try to troubleshoot THEIR problem with 6.2.2 I was out of warranty when you got to fixing it.

God Bless you sir, Netgear is lucky to have you....if only their entire operation had the work ethic that you do.

I'll leave it at 6.2.4 for now.

Message 9 of 12
vandermerwe
Master

Yes it's all there.

I'm sure on the old forums we were emailed about announcements, is it feasible to email forum users about new downloads, and/or add these to notifications.

This would need to happen at the same time the release was added to downloads and only for that user's particular products.  Perhaps a user could opt in to download notifications about their particular products, selecting from a list. The product registration process could also trigger future download notification.

Message 10 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

6.2.5 was released for the 102 and 104 only.

FWIW, 6.3.5 was also released for the RN200.

I was already running the 6.2.5 beta (and 6.3.5 beta), so I took the upgrades when I saw the prompts today.  The installs were smooth, and I've seen no issues so far.

Usually releases are announced here in parallel, I expect this time the growing pains of migrating to the new forum got into their way. 

Message 11 of 12
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

There were some major bug fixes on the 100s (6.2.5) and 200s (6.3.5), so these two platforms are showing up first.

The Intel should be getting the release for the 6.3.5 soon.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements