× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware 6.4.0 on RN10221D SMB Network Shares Continue to Randomly Disconnect

chrhei
Luminary

Firmware 6.4.0 on RN10221D SMB Network Shares Continue to Randomly Disconnect

Please see the following link (Message) 16:

LINK

THX

Message 1 of 12
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Firmware 6.4.0 on RN10221D SMB Network Shares Continue to Randomly Disconnect

Hi chrhei,

I need to gather more details about this issue that you have raised. I have summarized my questions below.

1. Have you tried restarting the SMB service of your ReadyNAS system?

2. Does this happen during copy and paste of files between PC and the ReadyNAS share? How about in backup job? Does this happen too?

You may also want to isolate this problem by connecting your ReadyNAS directly to your PC. Run the same procedure and see how it goes.

I look forward to your response.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 12
chrhei
Luminary

Re: Firmware 6.4.0 on RN10221D SMB Network Shares Continue to Randomly Disconnect

Hello BrianL

1. Have you tried restarting the SMB service of your ReadyNAS system?

I didn't tried to restart just the SMB service, instead I restarted the whole box, either with re-booting and a complete shutdown and powering up.

2. Does this happen during copy and paste of files between PC and the ReadyNAS share? How about in backup job? Does this happen too?

Yes, it happens during copy and past between my Linux clients (Ubuntu and Manjaro) but just randomly. Sometimes a file goes through, sometimes the process failes. Unfortunately I haven't set-up a backup job, just using SMB shares.

3. You may also want to isolate this problem by connecting your ReadyNAS directly to your PC.

Currently I'm not at home for the next couple of weeks, so nothing I can check here.

Regards,

Message 3 of 12
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi chrhei,

Thank you for answering the questions I asked. Will it be okay if we will further isolate this problem by using another file-sharing protocol? Since you are using LINUX (if you have other PC or machine), can we try NFS or FTP to see if the issue only lies with SMB and nothing on your network.

Looking forward to your response. 

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 12
chrhei
Luminary

Hi

As I stated already above, I can't continue testing because I'm not at home. I'll keep on reading and will provide feedback end of this month. Sorry.

Message 5 of 12
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi chrhei,

I am sorry. Just let us know what happens after you have tested it.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 12
chrhei
Luminary

Yesterday (02nov2015) I've upgraded to 6.4.1-T21 (Beta 1) and I thought problem is solved (disconnection of SMB shares). But I was wrong. Same behavior as before. SMB shares are fine for smaller files <= 100MB, but everything else (copying files from my Linux clients to the NAS) randomly fails. I also installed the App SMB Plus and tweaked some of the settings, but with no success. After that I activated ftp for the same share and uploads work very reliable. Nevertheless, ftp is not what I want in my LAN. Regards, ...

Message 7 of 12
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi chrhei,

I've replied to the same post on this thread. Please check your inbox for further instructions.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 12
chrhei
Luminary

O.K. I think I found a solution (at least for me) here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Beta-Release/Issues-since-6-4-0-upgrade-on-RN10400/td-p/99...

Just disabled IPv6 at my NAS and now SMB file transfers work like before 6.4.0. Disadvantage: No IPv6 which I use in my private LAN 😞

Regards, ....

Edit: I was to quick, just download from NAS works, upload to NAS still bad! Sorry.

Message 9 of 12
chrhei
Luminary

Tried everything:

enable/disable IPv6

enable/disable DLNA

enable/disable SMB

tweaked with SMB Plus

Latest frimware now: 6.41-T29

FTP/AFP and NFS are working reliable with large files (UPLOAD to NAS)

SMB doesn't!!!

Message 10 of 12
chrhei
Luminary

New online case (#26012507) has been created.

Message 11 of 12
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi chrhei,

Let's continue to work on the issue that you've experienced on this thread

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements