× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware 6.6.0 did not work on my RN104

falconyt
Aspirant

Firmware 6.6.0 did not work on my RN104

I have upgraded to firmware 6.6.0 on my RN102 from 6.5.2 with no issues.... So I decided to update my RN104 from 6.5.2 to 6.6.0 and ran into an issue. The firmware update failed with a doexit error (believe that's the name, typing from memory). Powered down then on same error. No way out of it, dead in the water...

I tried the USB recovery flash to 6.6.0 and that did not resolve anything it still failed. I then did the USB recovery flash back to 6.5.2 and that was successful and all my original settings, shares and data were intact.  So for me the 6.6.0 update is not flashing and I am staying on 6.5.2... Just curious if anyone has had this issue? I have no apps installed on my ReadyNAS RN104 it's just plain jane...

Frankly it's the first flash update that has failed for me... Does anyone have any idea why this would fail on 6.6.0 but 6.5.2 is still fine, has this been an issue for others?

Thanks...

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you have WoL enabled or was that enabled when you last did a factory reset?

Message 2 of 22
falconyt
Aspirant

I never set the wake on lan and have a very minimal configuration.. The WoL is still not selected.  The same thing is not configured on my RN102 which the firmware update worked on.  The only difference is I have the FTP protocol enabled on my RN104 and this is not enabled on the RN102. I have UPS connected to both and just basic accounts accounts and passwords.. Nothing involved or really specific... No Ready Cloud, Apps or anything like that running.

Thanks

Message 3 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 4 of 22
DeeeBeee
Aspirant

Hello,

I had almost the same problem with my RN102 (I'm owner of just one NAS). I tried to upgrade to firmware 6.6.0 and install failed. I tried different times and it didn't work.

The upgrade before, I think to version 6.5.2 I also had problems afterwards. To resolve that problem I replaced my 4TB (red) Western digital harddiscs by 2 old WD800AAJS AND yes with thes old guys everything was running perfect.

So I thought, these 2 old guys will help me again to install the 6.6.0 firmware. And yes, everything did go well. So now the firmware version 6.6.0 is installed on my RN102.

Next step, plugin again my 4TB harddisks. And than... the missery started again. I couldn't reach my NAS anymore. Or couldn't almost reach it. There is actualy only one app  that can realise a connection with my NAS. And that's an music app with UPnp on my  android phone called MediaMonkey. That app (connected via WiFi)  recognises my NAS and let me browse in my folders. With this I can play video's and music which are stored on my NAS.

When I use RAIDar 6.2 when the 4TB harddiscs are installed, it gives me the following message:

"RAIDar could not find any NETGEAR storage on your network. Check that your storage device is powered on and connected correctly. For more help, visit http://my.netgear.com."

When I plugged in the old 80GB discs after a few switches between the 4TB and 80gb discs, I saw in the RAIDar screen that the 80GB discs had to sync again. It took I think, more than 1 hour to sync. After that Raidar showed me that everything was "healty".

And what's the actual situation? This morning, after a connection of more tahn 3 full days and a continous blinking powerbutton ,  I shutted down my NAS by disconnecting the powerplug. Power button did not react...

I during the first time I was setting up my NAS it also took several days before both harddiscs where synced.

So I decided to give it a whole week to sync. I hope that I can tell you after a week that the problem is solved.

Actually The power light is blinking the whole time. The Act light is on and is blinking from time to time. The HD 1 + HD2 light is always on... I hear there's HD activaty, but that was also the case when I started the 3 day running time before. So now I will give it 6 days to run.

Honestly I'm not happy at all with this Netgear product. For me no Netgear products anymore. I also had before an expensive powerplug and also that device was not a hit...

So next time I pay something more and buy Asustor or Synology devices.

Message 5 of 22
falconyt
Aspirant

That's a lot of work to get it work correctly, but thank you for the info. I do Have Western Digital Reds in there... 4 4TB.. I'm not going to replace them though... I'm going to leave it on 6.5.2... Don't want to screw it up.. Even though I have this NAS backed up to another location (everyone should do that, in case you run into a unrecoverable failure).

I had an Infrant ReadyNAS NV+, omg that is the best little NAS and has served me well for years and it's still alive and kicking.. I had zero issues with it ever... So I decided to stick with netgear after they took over Infrant.. Well even though I still like the ReadyNAS, this is the first time I ever had a firmware issue.. Not crazy about it... But there will be other versions of firmware and we will try again.. I have no crazy settings and no apps installed, it's a vanilla as it can be.... This one problem hasn't steered me away from the ReadyNAS problem yet...

Hopefully more users will list firware update issues with 6.6.0...

Message 6 of 22
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi falconyt,

Thank you for sharing. We appreciate your contribution to the community. Currently the engineers are working on the issues that have been reported thus far.

Feel free to post any suggestions, questions, recommendations or anything about your NAS that you think needs attention or will help others.

Regards,

Message 7 of 22
DeeeBeee
Aspirant

Hi FramerV,

Until now my problem isn't solved. I can't access my 4tb HD until today (and yes, the harddisk are in good health). I would like to know if your engineers already found a solution for me. If possible they can contact me.

It would be great if I could access my data on my HD via my P.C. I tried already to access them via ubuntu, but it wasn't a success. Do you have a solution for this?

Message 8 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@DeeeBeee wrote:

Until now my problem isn't solved.

It's actually @falconyt's thread (though you did chime in).  That's why FrameV didn't direct his reply to you.

@DeeeBeee wrote:

I would like to know if your engineers already found a solution for me. If possible they can contact me.

This is not Netgear support, it is a community support forum.  Your post didn't elicit any response from Netgear, and if you didn't also create a support case via my.netgear.com they probably aren't doing anything active on it.

Swapping between the 4 TB drives and the old 80 GB drives is a bit risky.  Note that the OS runs off the disks.  If you powered down before the switch, the boot-up should have begun by installing the OS update on the 4 TB drives.

Message 9 of 22
DeeeBeee
Aspirant

Thank you StephenB for your reply.

After I posted my last message, I noticed that there was a new firmware 6.6.1. So last night I installed my old 80gb disks again. With these 80GB  HD's until now everything went well. Also now, it was possible to upgrade my readynas RN102 to the new firmware 6.6.1. I must say that once again the volume data started to sync. Because I use these old HD's as test, I have only a small number of data, around 100MB of music on these discs. I think it took more than 1h. to sync my HD's. After sync was completed I powered off my NAS via the button in the upper right corner on the admin page. So far everything went well. I disconnected my power cable and LAN cable and putted back my WD RED 4TB discs. Plugged in LAN and power and yes, I had a possitive respons. I activated RAIDar and YES!, RAIDar detected my HD again. And now, about 8 hours later, the dics still are syncing. I see that actualy almost 18% is done. So I think I need 2 days more to see if everything is working again...

So wait and see if everything will work fine after this sync session... I cross my fingers.

So actualy my conclusion is, that once again the last 6.6.0 firmware was the problem with my 4TB hardisc and that the solution to use 2 old discs which I could use to upgrade to the next 6.6.1 firmware helped me to get out of the problem.

I think if everything works well after this 4 months during problem, I will stop upgrading to new firmware and use the system as it is.

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 10 of 22
DeeeBeee
Aspirant

Just to inform you about the incredible sync speed. My RN102 with 2x4TB disks started to sync after the install of firmware 6.6.1 around 1 AM on thursday feb 23th 2017. Actualy we are sat. feb 25th 11.50 AM and Netgear RAIDar tells me that 83,5% of the sync is completed. So it will take about 48h to sync these discs. Hoeply everything will work after this sync again. If not I post it here.

Honestly, not really something to be happy about.

Message 11 of 22
StephenB
Guru

Let us know when everything resolves.

@DeeeBeee wrote:

I think if everything works well after this 4 months during problem, I will stop upgrading to new firmware and use the system as it is.

I don't recommend this particular strategy.

I do suggest not updating automatically, and checking this forum for issues before taking upgrades.  Usually you'll see the issues show up within a week or so of release.

Message 12 of 22
DeeeBeee
Aspirant

Hello StephenB,

Thank you for this advice. Actually 3.30h later and already 87,5% synced 🙂  (1% an hour)

Sorry but I think that there are always issues after the install of new firmware.I hope for netgear that not all owners are having these experiences.

If I do a search on this community site with " firmware 6.6.1"  I see already different messages ( https://goo.gl/11jNnl ).  I'll be afraid of the result, once the sync ended. So I'm asking you, when will be the moment to install new firmware?

Cross your fingers!

Message 13 of 22
DeeeBeee
Aspirant

This morning sync has ended. That part was O.K. But....

There still are problems with my 4TB discs.

I can see all files via the network folder in my windows explorer. RAIDar also shows me that the sync was O.K. and the HD's are healthy. But when I activate de admin button in the RAIDar screen, I can't access the page via my browser (I tried to use internet explorer and firefox). https://192.168.1.xx/admin/ -> message not a safe connection.. When I accept an exception it still don't work.

And once again, a test with my old 80gb disks didn't give me any problem. With these 80gb HD everything goes well...

Can someone help me to solve this problem?

Message 14 of 22
StephenB
Guru

https://192.168.1.xx/admin/ will give you a security exception (unless you store an exception in firefox).

When you click-through the security warning are you seeing the pop-up window for the NAS user/password?

Message 15 of 22
DeeeBeee
Aspirant

NO!

I see this message:

Not Found

The requested URL /admin/ was not found on this server.

Has it something to do with a "certificate" verrified by CN=nas-35-....?

Message 16 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@DeeeBeee wrote:

Has it something to do with a "certificate" verrified by CN=nas-35-....?

The self-signed certificate is what triggers a security exception.  That's because a self-signed certificate (by definition) isn't verified by a third party like verisign.

But if you click through that you should see the user/password pop-up.

@DeeeBeee wrote:

Not Found

The requested URL /admin/ was not found on this server.

Do you see the same thing if you use http instead of https?

Also, what do you see if you use https://192.168.1.xx/fwbroker

Message 17 of 22
DeeeBeee
Aspirant

When I use .../fwbroker message =

Not Found

The requested URL /fwbroker was not found on this server.

When I enter http://

(sorry message in dutch)

De verbinding werd geherinitialiseerd

De verbinding met de server werd geherinitialiseerd tijdens het laden van de pagina.

Misschien is de website tijdelijk niet beschikbaar of overbelast. Probeer het over enkele ogenblikken opnieuw.
    Als u geen enkele pagina kunt laden, controleer dan de netwerkverbinding van uw computer.
    Als uw computer of netwerk wordt beveiligd door een firewall of proxy, zorg er dan voor dat Firefox toegang heeft tot het web.

When I take the readycloud route:

http://readycloud.netgear.com/client/index.html#page=access&path=%2F&deviceid=nas-35

Than I see my NAS icon + name, than I see:

check the power supply and the Internet connection.

Message 18 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I've sent you a PM.

Message 19 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

DeeeBeee the 4GB root volume was full on your system with a 3GB log for asterisk.

Message 20 of 22
DeeeBeee
Aspirant

Dear mdgm and StephenB,

Thank you very much for solving my problem remotely.

I installed the asterisk app just to see what it was and never used it. So I suppose that things were running in the background.

I just would like to know how I can prevent, detect and solve these issues in the future (I already uninstalled most of my apps). I even don't know where to find the root volume and how to check its status.

Message 21 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@DeeeBeee wrote:

I even don't know where to find the root volume and how to check its status.

You can check the fullness by downloading the log zip file and looking in volume.log.  Scroll down to the df - h section, and you'll see a section that looks like this:

=== df -h ===
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev 10M 4.0K 10M 1% /dev
/dev/md0 4.0G 521M 3.2G 15% /
tmpfs 1.9G 4.0K 1.9G 1% /dev/shm
tmpfs 1.9G 6.5M 1.9G 1% /run
tmpfs 961M 1.4M 960M 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 1.9G 0 1.9G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup

/dev/md0 is the main OS partition, but the others also should be fairly empty.

Clearing out the OS partition requires ssh access, and you do need to be careful when deleting or truncating failes.

@DeeeBeee wrote:

Thank you very much for solving my problem remotely..

That was @mdgm-ntgr's work of course.

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements