× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware upgrade problem - "ERR: Could not find internal fla"

puxho30
Aspirant

Firmware upgrade problem - "ERR: Could not find internal fla"

Hi, recently I upgraded to new firmware 4.2.30 and appear this message "ERR: Could not find internal fla". How to resolve ???

Thanks you

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
c3po
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Firmware upgrade problem - "ERR: Could not find internal fla"

This is my wild guess: The internal boot flash file system or the file stores device model name was corrupted during update, firmware could not figure out NAS model and failed to locate boot device.

You may try if USB recovery can restore integrity of boot device. USB recovery instruction is model dependent, so you may want to let us know your NAS model.

If USB recovery does not restore boot device, you can try if you can put NAS into tech support from boot menu, manual intervention is needed to repair boot device in tech support mode.

If tech support mode can't restore boot device, then if the unit is still under warranty, a RMA will be needed.

Please search around for USB recovery and boot menu instructions, I am sure that it is posted somewhere on this forum. Thanks.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
c3po
NETGEAR Expert

Could you please take a look at this thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Beta-Release/6-2-0-T1286-Beta-1-ERR-Could-not-find-interna...

The error message is posted by the firmware. Since the boot loader has already loaded the firmware from the internal flash, it is likely that the firmware is confused by external USB storage device(s). Please try to boot up the NAS without any external USB device, then plug it back, download logs and forward to us. You may also try different USB port(s) to see if it makes any difference.

Message 2 of 6
puxho30
Aspirant

Hi c3po,

I use the frontview to upgrade the firmware, I not use any external USB.

Message 3 of 6
c3po
NETGEAR Expert

This is my wild guess: The internal boot flash file system or the file stores device model name was corrupted during update, firmware could not figure out NAS model and failed to locate boot device.

You may try if USB recovery can restore integrity of boot device. USB recovery instruction is model dependent, so you may want to let us know your NAS model.

If USB recovery does not restore boot device, you can try if you can put NAS into tech support from boot menu, manual intervention is needed to repair boot device in tech support mode.

If tech support mode can't restore boot device, then if the unit is still under warranty, a RMA will be needed.

Please search around for USB recovery and boot menu instructions, I am sure that it is posted somewhere on this forum. Thanks.

Message 4 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Not looking good. There are I/O errors accessing the internal flash.

It looks like your unit is not under warranty.

You could get e.g. a RN314, RN316, RN516, RN526X (just released) or a RN626X (just released) and move your disks across to that following this procedure: ReadyNAS: Migrating disks from RAIDiator to OS 6

Message 5 of 6
puxho30
Aspirant

Thanks its resolve
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements