× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Folder navigation and file transfer on Apple Mac extremely slow

takesides
Aspirant

Folder navigation and file transfer on Apple Mac extremely slow

When accessing the ReadyNAS RN104 from a 2011 MacBook Pro through Finder (whether the app itself or from inside another app's open dialog) it takes an extremely long time to populate a folder or transfer a file. Clicking on folders in finder can take several minutes of the wait cursor spinning before the folder is sudden;y populated. It can take up to ten minutes to transfer a file of a few KB. This problem appears to be intermittent and random and sometimes will work correctly but more often than not the issue is there which makes the NAS virtually unusable. 

I have the ReadyNAS RN104 installed on my local network attached via ethernet to my wifi router. The IPv4 address is set using DHCP from the router and DNS is working correctly as I can ping the NAS unit by hostname from all systems on the LAN. Firmware on the NAS is version 6.6.0.

I have two MacBook Pros and the issue affects both of them, while I also have two Windows 10 laptops which have no problem at all. The issue occurs on the Macs whether we use AFP or SMB to access the NAS and happens whether we connect over wifi or a direct ethernet connection to the router (negating wifi problems as a factor).

I have had the RN104 for nearly a year now and this issue always seems to have been there. 

Thanks in advance

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 6
HolgerGT86
Guide

Re: Folder navigation and file transfer on Apple Mac extremely slow

Hello takesides,

you wrote "I have had the RN104 for nearly a year now and this issue always seems to have been there".

Does this mean you always run firmware level 6.6.0 on the ReadyNAS?

Do you have the Anti Virus service active?

Regards,

Holger

Message 2 of 6
takesides
Aspirant

Thanks for the response. No, the unit had an earlier version of firmware installed. I upgraded it to 6.6.0 at a later date in an attempt to resolve this issue. I will try disabling the AV service and see if that improves matters, however wouldn't one expect that to then cause the issue for all clients, regardless of OS type?

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Netgear changed AV software in 6.6.1 (last month) anyway, so I think you won't be getting AV updates anymore with 6,6.0

FWIW, there are some issues with the new package, so you might want to pass on 6.6.1 and wait for 6.7.0.

Message 4 of 6
takesides
Aspirant

OK, so I will hold off before updating the firmware again - good to know. 

Does anyone have any input on the actual issue though? 

To summarize:

* the issue only occurs on Mac systems

* the issue occurs using both AFP and SMB shares

* the issue is intermittent

* the issue is not due to wifi/bandwidth issues. 

Message 5 of 6
RezzZ
Tutor

I have the exact same problem but for me the problem is always there. I believe it's since I updated to 6.6.1. It takes minutes to load a folder, but it's not only affecting my macs, it's also with my kodi (libreelec) machine trying to access my readynas.

also read a topic where it was related to a bad network port on the router/switch so I guess I will start testing it with a different port first (but download speeds of 5-10MB/s don't really suggest a bad network connection..

Btw, I have a readynas 6 ultra.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements