× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Getting ready to migrate from RAIDiator 4.1 to ReadyNAS OS 6.5

Helevitia
Aspirant

Getting ready to migrate from RAIDiator 4.1 to ReadyNAS OS 6.5

OK, I've setup all of the required components to do the migration.  My question is, why do I need to contact support?  Are you guys going to log me into some kind of engineering mode to enable something I need?  Why can't I just do it myself?

Thanks for you time!  Dave

Model: ReadyNAS-NV|ReadyNAS NV,RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
Helevitia
Aspirant

Re: Getting ready to migrate from RAIDiator 4.1 to ReadyNAS OS 6.5

Just to let you know, I ended up finding an old ReadyNas NV+ , popped my drives in, it came up wtih all my data, I copied the data over to a 4TB NAS sitting on my desktop comptuer and that's it.  You can't connect the 4TB NAS to your ReadyNAS NV+ because it doesn't recoginzie USB drives over 2TB.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 22

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Support needs to remotely access the system. They will provide instructions on how to give them access.

Note there will be some charges involved.

Message 2 of 22
Helevitia
Aspirant

Hmmm....nowhere doesa it say they will definiteoy charge me.  They make it sound like if you don't know what you are doing, then they will charge you.

I'm thinking two things need to be done, access some engineering mode to enable/unhide something and put the drive in read-only through the boot menu?

I see these options in the boot menu:

• Tech support. Boots into a low-level diagnostic mode. Use the tech support boot mode only when instructed to do so by a NETGEAR technical support representative.
  • Volume read only. Mounts a volume as read-only. Use this option when you are attempting to rescue data off a disk during a disaster recovery.

I really wish I could jsut do this myself.  Any idea why not?

Message 3 of 22
Helevitia
Aspirant

After doing a lot of reading, it appears I need to mount the drives somehow.  I haven't figured out how yet.  It'd be nice if Netgear just posted the steps on how to mount the drives.  I did log in as root, but the cli is limited and I can't seem to get the drives mounted. Hell, I can't even see them.  Obvisouly I'm missing an important step.

Message 4 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well it depends on a variety of factors e.g. which RAID mode you chose and how many disks, whether the disks are healthy, what the state of the array, volume, OS etc. are.

The shell commands that need to be entered do vary from case to case.

The volume read-only boot menu option is not used for this. That option is to mount an OS6 volume read-only. This option obviously isn't applicable to your current situation.

Message 5 of 22
Helevitia
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.  Looks like I'll be calling support soon.

Message 6 of 22
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Helevitia,

Since you will be contacting our support team to start migrating your old volume to your new ReadyNAS, we encourage you to mark this thread closed by clicking the "Accepted as Solution” button in one of the responses that you received. We also look forward to hearing more from you and be a helpful resource in the future!

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 22
Newie
Aspirant

I too was ready to contact support having followed all the steps in article 29876. I read 'It may be required to purchase a data recovery contract.' to mean that only if data recovery was required, would you need to purchase the data recovery contract. I read 'You will need to contact support and log a support ticket as the instructions for data recovery are very specific. Support will advise if a contract is required' to mean you may have to pay for support (e.g. if outside the 90 day purchase time) but this would be the exception as guidance on the migration would be treated as standard support. It would have been more honest if the article had read 'You will need to contact support, purchase a contract, and log a support ticket as the instructions for data migration are very specific.'

Paying for data recovery is reasonable but it is rather steep having to pay $180 to migrate my data to my newly purchased replacement RN31400 when the need was caused by failure of the notorious RND4000 power system.

Strangely the data recovery contract in which the disks are sent to Netgear for recovery is only slightly more expensive than the charge which I was told today is now charged for all support in migrating the disks, even when caused by equipment failure as a result of an acknowledged design error. 

I must say today's experience (from a non-US call centre) contrasts with the fine NetGear support I have previously received (from the US-based call centre). And this time I am not impressed.

Message 8 of 22
StephenB
Guru

It seems to me that per-incident support should have been sufficient (which I think is $75).  Though I don't work for Netgear.

@Newie wrote:

Paying for data recovery is reasonable but it is rather steep having to pay $180 to migrate my data to my newly purchased replacement RN31400 when the need was caused by failure of the notorious RND4000 power system.

Mine ran for 5 years, and then failed (fortunately right before the warranty ran out).  I'm not sure I'd call it notorious exactly, though there was the service action shortly after Netgear acquired Infrant.

Message 9 of 22
Helevitia
Aspirant

Just to let you know, I ended up finding an old ReadyNas NV+ , popped my drives in, it came up wtih all my data, I copied the data over to a 4TB NAS sitting on my desktop comptuer and that's it.  You can't connect the 4TB NAS to your ReadyNAS NV+ because it doesn't recoginzie USB drives over 2TB.

Message 10 of 22
Newie
Aspirant

Many thanks. An excellent and I expect the simplist approach - I'm now looking for an old ReadyNas NV+.

Message 11 of 22
Newie
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen. I'm looking for an old ReadyNAS NV+ and hopefully bypass the need for support.

Message 12 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@Newie wrote:

Thanks Stephen. I'm looking for an old ReadyNAS NV+ and hopefully bypass the need for support.

Make sure you get a v1 (4.1.x firmware) and not a v2 (5.3.x firmware).  

If you have a scratch disk, install it first, and then match the firmware version to what you were running before.  Otherwise the chassis will try to upgrade (or downgrade) the OS on the disk to match the flash in the unit.  There are risks there, especially if the replacement has very old firmware.

Message 13 of 22
Newie
Aspirant

Thanks. Useful advice. My old chassis was a v3 so I'm looking for a v3 model also.

Message 14 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That's a NV+ v1 hardware revision 3. Any of the NV+ v1 units (silver chassis, runs RAIDiator 4.1.x) would work. But a second hand unit may be in questionable condition.

Message 15 of 22
Helevitia
Aspirant

Newie,  I know how hard it was for me to get my data back, so I'm willing to send the ReadyNAS NV+ to you for free.  Just pay the shipping costs. 

A little back story on how I got mine.  My co-worker bought one when they first came out(like 8-10 years ago) and put it in our lab at work for work related stuff.  I forgot about it, he forgot about it because he stopped using it at some point.  Fast forward to when my power suppy died.  I tried everything possible to get the data back, but ran into roadblock after roadblock. 2-3 months had gone by.  One day I was walking through my lab and I spotted it behind a locked cage.  My heart raced and I suddenly got excited.  I called my co-worker up and explained the situation.  He said, yeah, you can have it if you can figure out how to get in the cage and get the cable lock off it because I no longer have the key. 

I went into action, I just happen to have access to the locked area from a previous job position in the same company, but how to get the cable lock off?  Should I buy bolt cutters? Should I ask the lab admins? What to do?  I found a screwdriver, took the ReadyNAS completely apart and worked the lock out from the inside.  Twisting and turning the lock, watching the metal bend here and there and finally, it slipped out!  I quickly put it all back together, took it home and prayed it would all go smooth. 

Luckily it recognized the drives and the raid setup immediately and I could see all of my data.  It took several days to copy it from the NAS to my computer over a 1GBps link that maxes out at 30MB best case but usually hover around 7MB.  It was slow and painful, but eventually got all of my data onto the 4TB NAS. 

What's the lesson learned?  Always have a backup of your backup.  I thought I was covered with RAID 5, but when the PS died, I was screwed because the newer NASes don't know how to tak eoff the X-RAID wrapper apparently.  So now I have the RAID 5 setup and the 4TB USB back up drive. Yay me!

Message 16 of 22
StephenB
Guru

Interesting story. I might have gone for bolt-cutters myself.

@Helevitia wrote:

What's the lesson learned?  Always have a backup of your backup.  

A very important lesson.

@Helevitia wrote:

the newer NASes don't know how to tak eoff the X-RAID wrapper apparently.

Newer NAS are partitioned differently, with a 4 GB OS partition instead of 2 GB.

Plus the NV+ uses RAID-4 (not RAID-5), and the file system is EXT (instead of the newer BTRFS).

Message 17 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Helevitia wrote:

Newie,  I know how hard it was for me to get my data back, so I'm willing to send the ReadyNAS NV+ to you for free.  Just pay the shipping costs. 

A nice offer, but due to differences in your locations the shipping costs would be prohibitively expensive.

@Helevitia wrote:

What's the lesson learned?  Always have a backup of your backup.  I thought I was covered with RAID 5, but when the PS died, I was screwed because the newer NASes don't know how to tak eoff the X-RAID wrapper apparently.  So now I have the RAID 5 setup and the 4TB USB back up drive. Yay me!

Support does have a method to attempt data recovery using a new NAS e.g. RN314. Users have also attempted this using a standard x86 Linux PC.

As StephenB mentioned X-RAID on the old Sparc boxes is very different to what is used on the newer boxes and the filesystem is different. Not to mention the CPU architecture...

Message 18 of 22
Newie
Aspirant

Helevitia, I love the story of the locked cage and success at the end. Surprise, surprise, I don’t have any colleagues with a ReadyNAS NV+ sitting in a locked cage so your kind offer is much appreciated. However I tracked down another chassis which is identical to my dead one (except the power system is working). I’m aware that it’s a little risky but it only need operate for the time taken to migrate the files from the old disks to the new so hopefully it will be relatively straight forward. The logistics are also relatively simple and not too expensive.

I’ve made new backup arrangements; lesson learned.

Again, many thanks for your offer – and the great story.

Message 19 of 22
Newie
Aspirant

mdgm, the use of an old chassis looks like the best option at present but the use of support remains a fall back if this approach fails for whatever reason. Thanks.

Message 20 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Note the hardware differences between the NV+ v1 h1, NV+ v1 h2 and NV+ v1 h3 are pretty minor. You don't need a NV+ v1 h3, but it does need to be a v1.

The NV+ v2 (charcoal chassis, runs RAIDiator-arm 5.3.x won't work as it has a different CPU architecture, different RAID format and different filesystem).

Message 21 of 22
Newie
Aspirant

Noted. Thanks.

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements