× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

HOWTO: ReadyNAS & Active Directory

andy_vdg
Guide

HOWTO: ReadyNAS & Active Directory

Because it took us forever to figure out how to get these setting right and we found the documentation confusing here is how we got our ReadyNas 3130 running OS 6.2.4 to talk to our AD.
The main issue was with getting the Container OU format so that we wouldn't constantly get errors that the OU doesn't exist.

We had to convert OU=Servers,OU=Company,DC=domain,DC=internal to something the ReadyNAS could understand. We started out with leaving this field blank and the connection worked. However it created the ReadyNAS AD object in OU=Computers,DC=domain,DC=internal. It's a good starting point though to ensure all other fields are correct and there are no password problems etc and the object can be moved afterwards.

Access Type: Active Directory
NetBIOS Domain Name: DOMAIN
DNS Realm Name (FQDN): domain.internal
Container OU: Company/Servers <-- doesn't require any DC strings - just the path from the root to where the Netgear AD object is located.
Include Truested Domains: No (in our case)
Administrator Name: DomainAdmin (case sensitive)
Administrator Password: DomainPassword (case sensitive)
Directory Server Address: 192.168.1.xxx or dc.domain.internal
Do not cache ADS accounts locally: No (in our case)
Message 1 of 5
Nhellie
Virtuoso

Re: HOWTO: ReadyNAS & Active Directory

I am not sure if you have seen this guide, but it might help:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... -system%3F
Message 2 of 5
andy_vdg
Guide

Yes I did and no it didn't because it doesn't actually say what format the Container OU string needs to be. Doesn't say if it needs to start or end with a / or anything like that. So I hope my post will help others who have struggled with the lack of detail in the KB article.
Message 3 of 5
tech4hire
Aspirant

I'm not sure I fully understand even your explanation, so if I may ask a quick follow up question...

This is my current OU structure for my NAS device OU=NAS, OU=Computers, OU=Office, OU=Headquarters, OU=domain, OU=local

So what exactly would be the correct format for ReadyNAS?

Is it NAS/Computers/Office/Headquarters/domain/local     ??

I honestly don't know why they complicated...

Thank you in advance for your help

Message 4 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi tech4hire,

Kindly check the link below as reference guide.  This is really for an OS5 ReadyNAS however it is still helpful.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4PuVEYxkQ5oTFFrb3lWeHcwZm8/view?usp=sharing

Regards,

DaneA

Netgear Community Team

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements