× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Hard disks Raid 1

h_tsopelas
Aspirant

Hard disks Raid 1

I would like to ask something... maybe for someone will be silly...

My readynas 102 has 2-bay. I have put 2 hard disks and at the system menu and then in volume i see with green line "X-RAID" and type "Raid 1". This means that it is mirror? If for a reason the first disk stop work then automatic i will see the files from the second hard disk? What means Raid 1 and x-raid?

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
vandermerwe
Master

Yes in Xraid with 2 disks you will have a raid 1 (mirrored) volume.  If 1 disk dies or is removed the volume is still accessible. 

This is does not mean you do not need a backup of the data on the volume.  There are events that can lead to data loss that raid does not protect you against.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
vandermerwe
Master

Yes in Xraid with 2 disks you will have a raid 1 (mirrored) volume.  If 1 disk dies or is removed the volume is still accessible. 

This is does not mean you do not need a backup of the data on the volume.  There are events that can lead to data loss that raid does not protect you against.

Message 2 of 4
h_tsopelas
Aspirant

So the other volume will have all my files? If i understand anything i save to the first volume automatic save also to the second volume?

Message 3 of 4
vandermerwe
Master

They are not really 2 volumes, it is one redundant volume. If you were to remove or lose a disk, the volume data is intact but the volume is then unprotected.   You would still be able to access all your data.

i must reiterate that you must also backup the data on the volume to at least one other device, preferably also offsite or into the cloud. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements