× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Help: Read readynas drive in windows -LinuxReader

nealyak2015
Aspirant

Help: Read readynas drive in windows -LinuxReader

Hello,

I have a problem with a Readynas 102 that is refusing to read my drive giving me a "Please remove inactive volumes in order to use the disk". I've tried various things with the ReadyNas with upgrading and downgrading firmware, restarting with single disc etc. I believe it was working fine till I upgraded to 6.2.4 from 6.2.2. But I cannot be sure.

I now have given up and just want to read the data off into my windows machine. I set up the drive to be JBOD with a single volume on a single physical drive. When I did this, I was doing it under the impression that such a volume would be readable in windows via some clever third party programs. So if my readynas kicked the bucket, it wouldnt take the data with it.

Well the time is here...
You can probably tell I am a newbie.

So now, I sit here with LinuxReader and Explore2fs and I haven't a clue what to do. The drive itself is fine according to hardware diagnostics. Its recognized by linuxreader but there are a bunch of folders and none of them seems to have my data. Any help will be appreciated.
Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Linux Reader doesn't work with BTRFS.

You would need to use an ordinary Linux x86 machine preferably with a recent kernel and recent version of btrfs-progs.

I'd like to have a look at your unit. Sent you a PM.
Message 2 of 6
nealyak2015
Aspirant

Thanks mdgm. Replied to your PM. Appreciate the help.
Message 3 of 6
nealyak2015
Aspirant

Its working now. Can see both drives. Awesome thanks. Can you tell me what the problem was? Thanks again for the quick and effective assistance, mdgm!
Message 4 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The filesystem labelling got messed up.

I would suggest you backup your data now that you can access it again.
Message 5 of 6
jasonskyring
Aspirant

Hi, 

I'm having the same issue here...

I setup the power settings last night and the NAS has fired up this morning but now says inactive volume??  I've removed the drive a tried to open the volume on my PC but now joy? 

Is it because the drive is encrypted or the file system has been messed up?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements