× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help - Readynas Ultra 4 Plus - I think the Data is okay, but the Readynas is not functioning

skim32
Tutor

Help - Readynas Ultra 4 Plus - I think the Data is okay, but the Readynas is not functioning

So an HVAC tech came out and flip the circuit breakers without my knowledge.  Now my Readynas Ultra 4 Plus is not functioning properly.  At first I could see it on PC.  i could navigate to it by IP and by Hostname.  however when I double clicked on one of the shares, it would error out  with "network name no longer available."  I did a quick google search and saw something about DLNA, however I don't even have DLNA enabled.  So thought I do some troubleshooting.  I tried to update the firmware and even though I am positive that I downloaded the correct firmware, the GUI states that the firmware file is not supported with this architecture.  Update over the internet doesn't work at all, it just sits there when I click the button.  So then I thought, hmm, why don't i try disabling CIFS and re-enabling.  Now it won't re-enable at all. Raidar reports everything is healthy.  The ReadyNas Admin page also seems like everything is okay,  However I just can't access the data.  For isntance, the home page shows Volume c: Online, X-Raid2, 4 disks, 99% of 5543gb used.  Also the health page shows everything as OK.  There is nothing in the logs.  So what are my options? What would be the best way to get my data?  

1) Can I go and get 4 blank drives.. Restore to factory?  Then try to put my old drives back in?  

2) Do i have to get something like ReClaime or R-Studio to recover my data?

b)  If so is there any good step by step guide on how to do it?

I wish there was a way to do restore the OS to factory without losing the data.  I am sure the Raid Partition is in tact, it's just the OS is malfunctioning.  Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: Help - Readynas Ultra 4 Plus - I think the Data is okay, but the Readynas is not functioning

Just to clarify - the web ui is accessible, but data in the shares is not.  And now settings aren't sticking, and manual firmware updates fail?

This sounds like a full OS partition to me.  Can you delete the logs from the web ui (backup and system)?  Don't try to download them, that could make things worse.

Also - did you have Crashplan installed (I'm thinking not, but want to confirm).

Message 2 of 7
skim32
Tutor

Re: Help - Readynas Ultra 4 Plus - I think the Data is okay, but the Readynas is not functioning

That's exactly right. And as a matter of fact, I did have crashplan installed.  however it stopped working a while ago after they updated something.  I never got around to fixing it.  Something about having to update Java JRE on  the ReadyNas, but had dificulty trying to do that.    I did make a backup of the settings.  I would try your seggestions, but a mod PMed me (mdgm) and asked me to put it into Tech Support mode.  I assume he is working on it so I don't want to interrupt anything he/she might be doing.  

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@skim32 wrote:

... I would try your seggestions, but a mod PMed me (mdgm) and asked me to put it into Tech Support mode.  I assume he is working on it so I don't want to interrupt anything he/she might be doing.  

PM and let him know you had crashplan running.  The crashplan issue is what filled your OS partition, not the power cut - you shouldn't have delayed fixing it. 

He'll likely figure it out quickly enough, but it might save him a few minutes of analysis.  There's instructions on how to fix the crashplan problem here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Backing-up-to-your-ReadyNAS/Crashplan-JRE-update-needed/td-p/985781

Message 4 of 7
skim32
Tutor

Thank you for that information.  Hopefully everything works out.  I will work on fixing the Crashplan problem.  And start my optical media backups again.  Today's crash scared the poop out of me. Keep getting complaicent and trust raid as a backup system.  I know I know.  IT101.  Raid is not a backup solution.  it's more of a continuity system. 

Message 5 of 7
skim32
Tutor

Is there a graceful way to get out of tech support mode?  Or do i just hold down power button?

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@skim32 wrote:

Is there a graceful way to get out of tech support mode?  Or do i just hold down power button?

You need to power down.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements