× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Help with going back to Windows please

JustCann
Aspirant

Help with going back to Windows please

Hey guys, I am getting rid of my Mac and moving to a Surface Pro tablet with Win 8.1 (until 10 comes out).

My Surface detects my ReadyNas Ultra 2 and I am able to see the items on the shares, but I can't authenticate to it.  This is probably a simple fix, but i must have been on a Mac for too long.  Can someone help me authenticate to the share again?  I have smb set to allow my user name, but i cant figure out how to authenticate to it with the automatically detected share in explorer.

Also, now that I will not be needing the Time Machine backups that were stored for the Mac, how do i securely delete those backups and recover the disk space?

Message 1 of 7
BaJohn
Virtuoso

Hey guys, I am getting rid of my Mac and moving to a Surface Pro tablet with Win 8.1 (until 10 comes out).

Tomorrow:)

Message 2 of 7
JustCann
Aspirant

I don't hold out much hope that I will be included in the first wave of updates...they have stated it will be a staged rollout.

Message 3 of 7
BaJohn
Virtuoso

Oh so we can only update "on command from on high".

I thought the downloads had already happened on my machine.

Thus I assumed that on the day (i.e. tomorrow) we could all (if we wanted) update offline, so to speak.

The staging I believe was for the downloads, NOT the updating.

Oh well either way ... only a few hours and we will find out.

Re ... your problem

I setup a user on the ReadyNAS and used that to authenticate the access from Windows (it prompted for the info the first time accessed)

For private Time machine, just click on the name and choose <delete>. Not quite sure if you are using shared time machine.

Message 4 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Which firmware is running on your Ultra 2?

The Ultra 2 uses shared Time Machine.

Message 5 of 7
JustCann
Aspirant

4.2.27 is the currently installed firmware.

Message 6 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you login to \\ip.address.of.nas as the "admin" user and then browse to \\ip.address.of.nas\c\.timemachine you should be able to delete the sparsebundle in there.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements