× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Hit 8TB "Limit" What Can I Do?

mearglen
Aspirant

Hit 8TB "Limit" What Can I Do?

Hi Folks

Hope someone can help, I've an Ultra 6 initially it was configured with 3 No 3TB drives with one of them providing redundancy

I then added another 3TB drive to provide dual redundancy. All went well

Then i added another 3TB drive for expansoion all went well and I had something in the region of ofver 8TB of space.

Finally ia added the last 3TB drive expecting capacity to expand to around 10.5-11TB. Sadley that didn't happen 😞 I get expansion failure warnings with capaicty limited to 10TB.

I've searched the forum and I believe this is a result of a little documented but somehat significant "Feature" called the 8TB expansion limit. Could someone be kind enough to explain a simpler terms what it is, why it is, what I should have done to avoid it and more inportantlty what I can do to resolve the problem

Thanks

Peter
Message 1 of 12
beisser1
Aspirant

Re: Hit 8TB "Limit" What Can I Do?

the 8tb limit means you can not expand your filesystem by more than 8 tb going from the initial size (and 16tb in total, even if you started at 15tb).

with your original net capacity beeing around 5.6tb you should be able to grow it to around 13.6 tb (roughly). if it failed at 10 there most be some other reason.
Message 2 of 12
mearglen
Aspirant

Thanks

But might not have been as clear as I should have been at the very beginning I had 1 * 3Tb I then added the second and for redundancy and then added the 3rd drive for expansion. Does this change things?

Pete
Message 3 of 12
StephenB
Guru

mearglen wrote:
Thanks

But might not have been as clear as I should have been at the very beginning I had 1 * 3Tb I then added the second and for redundancy and then added the 3rd drive for expansion. Does this change things?

Pete
Yes. The 8 tb limit then starts from 3 TB, giving you a ceiling of 11 TB (or 10.24 TiB). Which appears to be what you are seeing.
Message 4 of 12
mearglen
Aspirant

Oh dear not good at all, I assume there is no way to resolve this issue?

I was assured i could get just over 11Tb with dual redundancy when I bought it. seems I've lost nearly a Tb. Out of interest can somebody explain why

Pete
Message 5 of 12
StephenB
Guru

There is a way to resolve it, but it is painful.

You backup up your data and your config, and then do a factory reset. This will wipe the data and build a new volume from scratch. (Since you want ensure dual redundancy, it might make sense to remove one disk before you do the reset, then after the volume builds, add the final drive, specifying dual redundancy).

After the raid array is rebuilt, you reinstall any add-ons, restore your config, and then reload your data onto the NAS.
Message 6 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I'd suggest following beisser's advice before trying a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything).

If you want dual-redundancy no need to remove a drive when doing a factory default. When you initiate a factory default a few checks will be run then there will be a 10 minute window where you can pull the power to cancel or go into RAIDar (http://www.readynas.com/downloads) click setup and choose the RAID mode. Choose X-RAID2 and tick the dual-redundancy option then confirm your choice. The disks will then be wiped etc. If you don't do anything during the 10 minute countdown the factory default will proceed with the RAID options chosen for you.
Message 7 of 12
mbe
Aspirant
Aspirant

I successfully performed an offline volume expansion beyond 8TB. Howto is in a different post:

http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=62916&p=353102#p353102
Message 8 of 12
Charles_R
Aspirant

Surprised... I have done more than a little research and didn't realize this limit. My understanding is if I start with one 3TB drive in X-RAID2 I will see...

- One drive 3TB space

Installing one drive at a time later...

- Two Drives 3TB space - total of 6TB (with redundancy)
- Three Drives 6TB space - total of 9TB
- Fourth Drive 9TB space - total of 12TB (losing 1TB)

Am I correct?

Best work around would be to install two drives 6TB initially? What configuration is this tied to... X-RAID2 only or?
Message 9 of 12
TeknoJnky
Hero

Charles R wrote:
Surprised... I have done more than a little research and didn't realize this limit. My understanding is if I start with one 3TB drive in X-RAID2 I will see...

- One drive 3TB space

correct, about 2750 gb

Installing one drive at a time later...

nope, two 3tbs still equals the same as one, with redundancy, the drives are mirrored, so no space is increased.

- Three Drives 6TB space - total of 9TB

three 3tb drives is about 5500 gb

- Fourth Drive 11TB space - total of 12TB (losing 1TB)

four 3tb drives is about 8250 gb

Best work around would be to install two drives 6TB initially? What configuration is this tied to... X-RAID2 only or?

the best work around is to install all drives at the same time and perform a factory default, which initizes and creates the whole 8.2 tb volume at one time.

does not matter if its x-raid2 or flex-raid.

see also below threads

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=63069

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=55533
Message 10 of 12
Charles_R
Aspirant

TeknoJnky wrote:
Charles R wrote:

nope, two 3tbs still equals the same as one, with redundancy, the drives are mirrored, so no space is increased.

I understand. I had a typo with 4 drives I corrected. That's why I said 3TB space - 6TB being total space installed (not available). And yes I rounded everything for easy reference.

So the 8TB expansion is based on the 2.7 which becomes available and not the 3.0TB size of the drive? Which means I would end up with the same space regardless of when I added them.

1 drive - 2.7TB
2 drives - 2.7TB
3 drives - 5.4TB
4 drives - 8.1TB

At least I wouldn't lose anything (total of 5.4TB expansion going from one to four drives)... at least until the 4TB drives start to ship. 🙂 If I go with flex-raid (JBOD) I would be...

1 drive - 2.7TB
2 drives 5.4TB
3 drives - 8.1TB
4 drives - 10.7TB (not 10.8TB)

Rough numbers.
Message 11 of 12
TeknoJnky
Hero

If you went with flex-raid, individual raid0 volumes, it would not matter one bit because each volume would be the size of the disk, and there is no expansion for raid 0
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements