× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Host Name not found?

Hyrax
Aspirant

Host Name not found?

I've recently upgraded my ReadyNAS Ultra 4's firmware from 4.2.16 to 4.2.19. I did this because I wanted to replace its HDDs with 3 TB drives. That expansion went smoothly, but ever since then I've been occasionally unable to use the host name to locate drives from Windows. For example, right after turn on the ReadyNAS everything works fine when I try to open a mapped drive that points to \\Tatooine\media. However, a few hours later I cannot open the mapped drive, but I can open \\192.168.0.105\media. I can use \\Tatooine\media to get to the drive as soon as I reboot the ReadyNAS.

A few more details:

1. I didn't have this problem with 4.2.16.

2. I use my routers DHCP, but use a specific IP address for my ReadyNAS.

3. When I upgraded my drives and updated to 4.2.19, I turned on 'Wake On Lan'. I was hoping this would turn on the ReadyNas when I turned on my Media server, but it doesn't seem to work. Is it possible that WOL is the cause of the 'lost host name'? I just turned off WOL.

So, if this keeps up ... should I revert back to an earlier firmware? And where do I get them?

Thanks
Message 1 of 6
vuilverwerking1
Aspirant

Re: Host Name not found?

Is your ReadyNAS network config set up correctly 'Default Gateway' pointing to your Router?
Did you try to turn on the option: Frontview > Network > WINS > Become a WINS server?
Try to disable 'Automatically update database' in the ReadyDLNA. (Turn it on if your problem is solved).
I had some problems with ReadyDLNA auto update option after upgrading to 4.2.19.
Turn if off and on solved the problem for me. even after a reboot. :?
Message 2 of 6
PapaBear1
Guide

I believe that "Wake On Lan" only turns on the device if a network call is made to it. Unless your media server makes a network call to the device, I believe it is unlikely to turn on the ReadyNAS. My second ReadyNAS (backup unit) is set to spin the drives down after a period of time but not turn off. When a call is made to the device it takes a few seconds before it is available. When I open Frontview for example, only NAS1 and NAS3 are shown, but when it refreshed 30 seconds later, NAS2 is now also displayed as the drives have spun up and are available.

Is it possible that when you make the first call, the unit is not up, but when you make the second call using the IP address, it is? Have you tried making a second call a few minutes later also using the host name?
Message 3 of 6
Hyrax
Aspirant

Thanks to both of you for the info and suggestions.

vuilverwerking-
    Try to disable 'Automatically update database' in the ReadyDLNA. (Turn it on if your problem is solved).
    I had some problems with ReadyDLNA auto update option after upgrading to 4.2.19.

OK. I'll try turning off 'Automatically update database'. Thinking back, it is possible that I lost the Host name after writing new media files to the NAS. I don't think my HDI Dune media player needs DLNA, but I left it turned on because it was the default.

My Domain name server 1:is 192.168.1.1, which seemed to work properly until I updated.

I've not got the WINS Server option turned on. I've no idea what it does or how to configure it, so I'm looking it up now.

PapaBear-
    I did ping it once and then waited a bit and tried again. Perhaps I didn't wait long enough. I'll try WOL again.

Thanks
Message 4 of 6
joshb1
Aspirant

Disabling ReadyDLNA's "Automatically update database" worked for me to get the hostname working (on the same subnet), and then I re-enabled it afterwards. Frustrating issue but thanks for providing the clues. I didn't have to enable WINS or anything else.
Message 5 of 6
Hyrax
Aspirant

joshb-
It seems to be working for me as well. I've not had this problem since I turned it off and it is nice to have confirmation that it works for someone else. I'll try re-enabling it too.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements